Video games you are playing/want to play

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
Luigi

Re: Video games you are playing/want to play

Postby Luigi » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:22 am

I have an Atari Jaguar game drive but the CD support is still limited so Ive been messing around with that trying to get it to work. I also found this awesome breakdown of how to win at MK2 from a chap named Churrasco Italiano:

[spoiler]
I was going to write some little tips but my mind did a full run of my memories playing MK.

I usually like to pick Shang Tsung as I have all the options against the cheating AI.

Note that when I mean jump kick, is an aerial kick in the opponent direction, not the neutral jumping kick.

As u/PandemicFront said, the AI makes different things based on the character and the player side you're using. At this moment I can only remember Cage, Baraka, Sub-Zero, Shang Tsung, Jax, Scorpion and Baraka as they play the same in the player 1 side.

These are some cheap tricks you can use against the AI using those characters on Player 1 side (recommended to be always on very hard as they will always response the same way. Don't bother playing in a easy level as the AI will always swith to very hard as you're going upper in the tower)

As golden rule, don't ever get to close the AI. If you're near, it will throw you even when you're doing a move.
Following the upper tip, don't ever get close to the corner as you can be thrown multiple times.
Everytime you connect a flying kick, do a sweep. Can happen two things:
If it connects: Do another sweep, if that connects repeat until it doesn't.
If it doesn't connect the AI will usually do a back jump. Take that moment to gain some space.
Crouch, if the AI walks to you, do a back jump roll. The usual thing is that the AI jumps to you so it's open to kick on the air, make a combo with Cage (like LP, HP, Shadow Kick) or with Scorpion HP + Spear + Uppercut or Jump kick and air throw, etc...
If the AI walks to you but you're not crouching and it's gaining space, do a sweep. Whenever the AI is too close, sweep so it will jump back and you can abuse the tip before.
Using Jax, if you do a backbreaker (block in the air while you're close to th enemy) and jump back, the AI will jump to you and you can make another backbreaker until you reach the corner.
Against Liu Kang start the fight blocking and block sometimes during the battle. He'll usually do a flying kick or bycicle kick, so you can catch him open for an attack. Also, never jump to him as he'll do an air fireball.
Kung Lao. Start crouching as he'll usually teleport. Punish with an uppercut. The other thing he can do is throw a hat but you'll evade it anyway.
Against Johnny, start crouching to anticipate a shadow kick. Feel free to punish with a hard uppercut.
Vs. Reptile: Start with a jump kick to avoid the invisibility. This can be a tricky opponent as if he gets invisible he could slide and you'll not notice it. If that's the case, try to block, spot where he is and do a jump kick to hit him. Even when he's blocking you will make it visible again.
Vs Sub-Zero: Start with a jump kick as many times he start with the ice blast. If that's not the case, he'll block but you're safe. If you jump back he will follow you and will be open for a punish in mid air.
Vs Shang Tsung: Start with a jump kick and hit him before he can transform. Use the tactics of the other characters in that fight. If you feel confident, you can throw a projectile when he's transforming.
Against Kitana always start with a aerial jumping kick. It's very common she start throwing a fan so it's open for a kick. If the kick connects, inmediatly do a sweep.
Vs. Jax: Start with a jump kick to hit him while he's doing the projectile. Jump kick when he does the ground stomp. It's very rare that he catch you with the special grab, but if he do it will always do the max hits, the same with the usual throw so don't get very close to him. He doesn't have many ways to gain space so you can control him easily as his moves are slow.
Against Mileena, if you're using shang tsung or a character that can make little steps (like the ninjas, in other cases like johnny, if you tap left or right he will take some distance, the ninjas do very little steps) you can close the distance between you and her and make a jump kick to her. She will usually throw the sais in the air, but as you're near, you'll evade them and kick her. Sweep, then make a little step towards and repeat.
Another tip against Mileena. You want to start the battle blocking crouching, as she could do the roll or the teleport kick. If you're blocking high, you can block the kick but not the roll, so it's safe to block crouching and let her open for an attack.
Vs Baraka: Don't ever jump to him unless you have a very well calculated distance. He'll always do the blade attack and will catch you, unless you're very near but not so close to be hit by that attack. Baraka has the most high projectile attack and position, so high that you can freeze him with Sub-Zero and avoid the projectile completely. In the general case, do a sweep while he is close to you or if you feel he would do the projectile. If you feel right, you can start the battle with a jump kick, sometimes you'll hit him but sometimes he'll do the blade attack and catch you.
Vs. Scorpion: Similar to Sub-Zero and Reptile but his spear is something that you have to be careful. Start with a jump kick as he can open with the spear. Similar to Baraka, when you feel he will do the spear, block or crouch (it's harder to time it and you'll only have four tries to do it, as with 4 spears + uppercut you're done). You can block crouching but that will leave you stun a few frames. Don't do a projectile attack as he'll teleport. You can beat him using almost just aerial kicks, it's just a timming and space matter.
Vs. Raiden: With some characters you can crouch the lightning projectile, but you want block it for a safe play. Similar to Liu, he can do the torpedo, block it and follow him with a kick. In this fight, try to get close to him and jump when you're in a safe distance (like two or three characters). Don't get so confident as he can teleport and throw you from the back.

TEXT SO LONG SO IT WILL KONTINUE

Now for the bosses:

Kintaro has always been tricky to me. I feel like he has two set of AI, one that's pretty safe and predictable, and the other where you won't connect anything, and he will block and punish anything you do. I think there's a way to trigger one AI or another but I don't have a safe method for it. In any case, there are some hints you can use to know what AI is using.
Usually when you do a jump kick he would block it, but if you time it with a little delay (notice when he blocks it, and wait a few frames after it) you'll hit him, ALWAYS. If you hit him, he's using the "easy" AI. If he blocks or do a fireball or anything to punish you, he's using the "weird/gtfo AI".
Other way you can use to tell what AI is using is do a neutral HP and wait like half second. If he do a fireball is using the easy one.
As a rule, when he's using the easy one, you can do this:
Hit him with an aerial jump kick.
When Kintaro falls, do a projectile, he'll block it. Then do a jump kick. Repeat.
In some cases (specially using the ninjas) instead doing a projectile do an standing HP. Wait like half a second then kick him. Repeat.
If he do the teleport and stomp you, do a projectile or a high kick followed by a sweep.
Sometimes you would kick him many times and you'll end in the corner (with Kintaro cornered, but as the sprite is so big you'll be like over him for a little while) There's a trick here as Kintaro will always uppercut you (or if he switch the AI, throw you to the corner) if you have a good timming, you can crouch the uppercut and do your own uppercut to hit him.
If you manage to get Kintaro to the corner, by the upper method of he stomps you and he ends in the corner, there's a cheap tactic that will grant you the victory. With Kintaro cornered, do LP, LP but with a timming (I don't know how to write here but try to follow the voice of the character) like HA HA (pause) Ha ha! (pause) ha ha! (pause) he'll block all the punches but it will be stun in that stance. Repeat until he's dead.

Shao Kahn:

Different from Kintaro, Shao Kahn is very easy and you can use these tactics with almost every character.
The easiest way do beat him is by doing the following
As the fight starts, do some steps back and corner yourself. Block crouching in the corner, Kahn will press you with some attacks. When he make the elbow or an attack that get very close to you, uppercut him. Then follow with an aerial kick, if you feel confident swipe him and repeat, go to the corner, etc...
When using Cage, Baraka, Jax or Tsung you can just press him by doing high jump kicks. Get close to him and do a jump kick towards him and press the kick button as if you will his head. He'll block you but you will have time to do another aerial kick this time, a little lower. He'll block again but as you're lower now, you'll reach to ground faster, so jump again and to the high jump kick. Repeat until Kahn is done.
There are some other fun tactics with Kitana or Scorpion but I'm trying to write general methods as I don't know what character you are using.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:56 pm

- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver popped on my related vids a Couple of days ago.

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:24 am

Randomly played some Neo Geo today just cause I happened to be in the basement and finally beat Ninja Masters. I actually beat the last boss first try which was nuts. Basically every fight was not that bad besides one random one halfway thru the game that had me stuck for months. That guy with the twirly fork weapons, I hate that guy lol Now Iv finished every FTG on the Neo Geo Mini besides Samurai Shodown 2.

Also I found some podcasts talking about the early origins of the video game youtube scene. I remember the days well:

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:51 pm

Luigi wrote:Randomly played some Neo Geo today just cause I happened to be in the basement and finally beat Ninja Masters. I actually beat the last boss first try which was nuts. Basically every fight was not that bad besides one random one halfway thru the game that had me stuck for months. That guy with the twirly fork weapons, I hate that guy lol Now Iv finished every FTG on the Neo Geo Mini besides Samurai Shodown 2.

Also I found some podcasts talking about the early origins of the video game youtube scene. I remember the days well:

- I remember Ninja Masters. But hasn't played in more than two decades.
But the grafics weren't that good. I think i played on Snes.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:52 pm

- I dont get why people viewing this thread think we're nostalgic or old.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:55 pm

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:22 am

Playing MK2 I finally got to Shang Tsung on normal mode only to quickly lose. The game AI transparently cheats, auto-grabbing you from a range well beyond what you can, and being unharmed by moves in ways that are impossible when humans play. So I decided if they cheat, I cheat. I actually didnt cheat that badly though. The game makes you start over after 5 credits, which is dumb because you pay 80 dollars for a game but dont have the freedom to use more credits as you would if you didnt do that and just went to the arcade. So I used an in-game code for 30 credits. I got really bad luck with the character order as Mileena was one of the last fights and still beat it first try with over 10 credits to spare. I beat Shang Tsung and Shao Khan both on my first tries. And on Shao Khan it was legitimately the first time I had ever faced him in my life. I did so by using Baraka and by immediately noticing his cheap attack he spams leaves him open to my blade chop special move. No plans to do this one without a code lol Finally done all the games in the OP. Onward to late release SNES games now.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:39 am

Baraka is the shit
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:16 pm

I was playing SamSho 2 today and I finally got by the roadblock of Nicotin. After that on the other enemies I realizes they sucked at blocking jump in strong slashes(Im playing as Charlotte) and also ducking strong slash as soon as you land. Using a combination of this and defensive poking with medium slash I was able to quickly defeat 6 opponents in the span of an hour or so. One of them I beat first try(green freak guy) and most of them I got the first round. Three of them I did within 1 continue(which I think is 3 credits). After this I was done all the normal opponents and on to the pre-final boss: Mizuki. Much like Samsho 4 she is cheap but beatable. I tried a few credits trying to take her down and came within a hair of winning more than once, but for today Im stopping here. When I was playing through a lot of those matches it was a ton of fun and I was starting to feel that the game is better than SamSho 4 despite the worse graphics. The simple game style has an appeal, you wont be punished as badly for not knowing combos and fighting smart is more heavily rewarded. Mizuki pissed me off a bit though so Im not totally sure I agree with that anymore. Presumably 2 more fights to win then Im done every fighting game on my Neo Geo Mini.

I also started Earthbound on SNES. So far slower and more grindy than Mother 1 on SNES. I hope that changes because Mother 1 was a great game and I hope the sequel lives up to its predecessor. Edit: I played it very frequently for a few more days and got to a boss which is invincible unless you use some gimmicky joke item on him, which would be fine if it let me know I wasnt hurting him. It gives you no indication, so I lost despite doing over 3x his health, did some grinding and got items, tried again, same thing, and again it all happened before I looked up what to do. What an enormously unfun experience to put in a game. I wanted a reason to keep playing so I googled if it has the same cool cloud world that Mother 1 had. Turns out it has a place with the same name, but it looks nothing like the one from the first game. No clouds, no shells, only the name is the same. So Im stopping this one. I dont know if there was a big drop in quality from 1 to 2 or if I just have less patience for BS now that I have played FF6 and DQ5. Still though, I played 3 gens of pokemon games before ever trying Mother 1.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:35 pm

- Congos caper

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”