Discuss your most recent training

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Masato
Site Admin

Discuss your most recent training

Postby Masato » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:53 pm

Hey all

How many active posters here train on a (semi)-regular basis?

What sort of training do you guys do? I know Canucksters a bit of a gym rat, and robbstar gets his mat time, would be fun to hear about what goes on at different gyms, your experiences training, what you're working on, funny stories etc. Encourage each other, our women and non-MA friends don't wanna hear these things :D

Last night I saw a girl get her blue belt, and got to roll with a local legend here Brian Beauchamp again (we've rolled before). Some things about FRAMING started clicking, had some good moments. That was nice because the class before I felt like I was doing shit, lol Funny how some nights I feel like I have no game at all and other nights I surprise myself and all of a sudden some things are there.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:57 pm

This is the club I train at:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:15 pm

Oh yeah, coach told a good story last night;

A father of a younger student told the coach once that another specific kid they train with 'has his number'. Coach said 'no, the kid doesn't have his number, the Toriano Pass has his number.' Dad's face lights up

Basically about taking the personal side of the game out of it, if an opponent keeps beating a part in your game, its not the PERSON that is getting the better of you, its the hole in your game that he keeps getting through. Analyze your own successes and failures, fix the holes, don't matter who you are rolling with

I don't usually let these things get to me but will admit some mental loops when rolling with certain people. I thought it was interesting, especially good for that Dad to hear, hope he passed the lesson to his kid.

Or something like that.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:36 pm

Masato wrote:Hey all

How many active posters here train on a (semi)-regular basis?

What sort of training do you guys do? I know Canucksters a bit of a gym rat, and robbstar gets his mat time, would be fun to hear about what goes on at different gyms, your experiences training, what you're working on, funny stories etc. Encourage each other, our women and non-MA friends don't wanna hear these things :D

Last night I saw a girl get her blue belt, and got to roll with a local legend here Brian Beauchamp again (we've rolled before). Some things about FRAMING started clicking, had some good moments. That was nice because the class before I felt like I was doing shit, lol Funny how some nights I feel like I have no game at all and other nights I surprise myself and all of a sudden some things are there.

- I try to train a minimum of three days a week, besides lifting weight's two days a week. I train more taekwondo than jiu-jitsu on those last two years, because of time and money. TKD is far more cheap here.
A good friend of mine has room with mat's and he is a brown belt in jiu-jitsu and black-belt in TKD, my other good friend is a TKD black-belt too, so i go train with them when them have time.

Some of my best friend's have kicked me and punched me in the face far too regulary. :D

Some days you're the hammer and others you're the nail!
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:40 pm

Masato wrote:This is the club I train at:

- That's a very cool looking gym, Masato.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:28 am

I had 3 classes this week, I started teaching at a small club in hamilton. I'll be heading out to the gym for strength and conditioning tomorrow morning.

Yeah I guess I'm a bit of a gym rat.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:15 pm

Canuckster wrote:I had 3 classes this week, I started teaching at a small club in hamilton. I'll be heading out to the gym for strength and conditioning tomorrow morning.

Yeah I guess I'm a bit of a gym rat.

- What's your strenght work look's like? You do olimpic lifting?
Road work?

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:51 pm

Lots of core work, calisthenics, battle ropes, sledgehammer on tires, lots of cable work for core strength and small muscle groups, weighted sled pushes, squats, lunges, deadlifts, I stay away from heavy max lifts and stick with low weight with much higher reps for endurance. This is good for my jits endurance.

I structure my workout in such a way that between sets I'll switch to an unrelated muscle group from the previous set to pull blood out of those muscles and into others to offset lactic acid buildup. This way there's no breaks between sets. For example, I will do a set of bench presses to max fatigue, then get up and do a set of lunges to pull the blood out of my pectorals, the legs are a good way to do this as they are the largest muscle group and pull a good amount of blood away.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:22 pm

Well I try to do Jits twice a week and lift twice a week these days. Started Jits again recently... after a 6-7 year layoff. I used to do mostly no-gi before, but now I'm all about the gi. Mainly because I'm old and slow now. If i were to do no-gi again, the young'uns would run circles around me. lol

It's a fairly new gym. Instructor is a Nova Uniao brown belt. Honestly thought I would never roll again since it never fits my work schedule. But this place has late classes, so I can trane after work 8-)

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:42 pm

Canuckster wrote:Lots of core work, calisthenics, battle ropes, sledgehammer on tires, lots of cable work for core strength and small muscle groups, weighted sled pushes, squats, lunges, deadlifts, I stay away from heavy max lifts and stick with low weight with much higher reps for endurance. This is good for my jits endurance.

I structure my workout in such a way that between sets I'll switch to an unrelated muscle group from the previous set to pull blood out of those muscles and into others to offset lactic acid buildup. This way there's no breaks between sets. For example, I will do a set of bench presses to max fatigue, then get up and do a set of lunges to pull the blood out of my pectorals, the legs are a good way to do this as they are the largest muscle group and pull a good amount of blood away.

- That's look's cool and very-hard. I do bb split two times per week, i know isn't opitmal. But i have to look good for the guys, since no woman care for the size of the muscles. Well except if i was handsome like The Rock. :(

Today was a good day, still working on my roundhouse technique. Been working on this kick for one year.

Return to “Super Dojo”