Video games you are playing/want to play

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
Luigi

Video games you are playing/want to play

Postby Luigi » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:38 pm

With corona ruining all my social events Ive been gaming a lot more, and suddenly instead of playing just 1 or 2 games I find myself with many I want to play, so I thought I might start a gaming thread to talk about games.

I have been playing tons of the King of Fighter games since I got my Neo Geo Mini. I beat KOF 2000 not long after getting it, but then I started playing 2002 which is much harder and was only able to beat it after months of playing it. I beat it about 2 weeks ago. Since then I have basically steamrolled thru all the other KOF games because 2002 had sharpened my skills so much. In the last 2 weeks I beat them all besides 95 which I am currently playing. Getting to the last boss Rugal is already easy, I just have to beat him now.

I also want to finish Fatal Fury Special as its the last Fatal Fury game I have to finish.

Typically I dont go as old school as NES anymore, I typically see 8-bit games as archaic, but I want to check out some of their sports games which I basically never played, and I want to beat Ikari Warriors now because two of the characters in the KOF games are the guys from Ikari Warriors.

I found these maps someone made of the levels which should help: https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Ikari_ ... Level_Maps
Edit: Found a mini guide too:
[spoiler]
Stage 1:

I forgot many times about the exploding enemy right after the second wall - what a time waster. BTW, there's no way to know playing for the first time which enemies will explode and which won't. They appear in the same spots each time, but still, another cheap Ikari feature that deserves a mention.

When you reach the water, fire up/left at the submerging guy. Then, get out of the tank, advance the screen a bit, then go back in it and kill him. That's a safe strat rather than just plowing through. Staying to the right side of the water, grenade the approaching submerging guy, walk to the right of the mine, and shoot the enemy on the island. Get in the helicopter and do the glitch (hold up+B, then press A - continue holding A). You're invincible when you let go of A, but you can't damage enemies either. However, for this stage, you can just walk to the exit to beat it so it doesn't matter - stage over.

Stage 2:

Since you couldn't grab the only heart in stage 1 due to flying over it, you'll start stage 2 powerless. Bomb the first tank, then the left wall, then the second tank - this spawns a tank drop every time (plus a fuel from the first one). I also throw a grenade over the tank to hit the pink soldier just above it. It's very important to kill the first tank early and/or the second tank late - if you scroll the screen up too high, you can miss the fuel.

Grab the SS from the wall. Upon getting the to the bridge, I move against the gray wall on the right side and aim the tank gun up/left. By doing this you can move straight up and kill the big tank, stopping right below the second gray wall. I find if you just go straght up, sometimes the tank will fire on you off screen. Kill everyone in the water, then shoot the knife to grab it before getting out of the tank. I think it's much easier to grab the knife here than the one right above this. After abandoning the tank, you'll want to line up your character perfectly so that you can shoot the submerging guy and the pink guy.

The next small little land area is tough. I still don't have a consistent strat for it. I walk over the first bit of land, then move diagonally left across the water to the left side. I then walk to the left of the truck (?) or right through it. I throw a grenade while walking right around the top of the truck to hopefully kill the pink guy and any blue ones. If they're still alive, then walk over them to kill them (I tend to get shot sometimes anyway though). Take the next water section slow to spawn one submerging guy at a time. If you died anywhere here, it's probably game over. With no knife or speed powerups, you seemingly can't outrun the club guy coming up, forcing you to grenade him perfectly to have any chance.

Reaching the club guy, walk on the far left side of the screen ignoring the enemies. Walk right to the top tank and get in. Not too much interesting to say about the rest of the level, just take it slow.

Stage 3:

At least you should be fully powered up here. The river part after the big early tank section is tough. I like to go to the left side to get the heart, exit the tank, then go all the way to the right side of the screen. There's a few guys you absolutely have to kill before the next tank you'll get in.

For the wide open section before the helicopter, I like to go up against the right wall to avoid the mines and aim up/left to kill the two tanks.

Then, it's glitch time. You need to blow up the helicopter on the mine as you do the glitch (or better yet, just after as the mine moves down, which looks safer to me). I find that it's easier to do if you're slightly to the right of the mine rather than head on. For this one, I try to be about 2.5 squares to the right of the heli spawn. I then do the glitch right as the top of the heli meets the bottom of the mine.

I just follow the above video's strat for the boss enemies.

Stage 4:

I got a tank drop from the first tank in my winning run. It would be nice to figure out how to do that every time here.

In the pipe section, go 2nd from left, then 3rd from left to avoid any air raids. You also avoid the heart this way, but it shouldn't be necessary since there's another one shortly after. There's an exploding normal soldier on the right side after that section, who is easy to forget about, so shoot him instead of running him over.

For the second helicopter/mine glitch, I do it on the second mine as the above video does. Except, I always line it up exactly on the third square of that land mass (from the left). It's easier imo than the stage three one. Maybe I'm just not lining that one up perfectly.

And the Nintendo Power article on it: https://archive.org/details/nintendo_po ... 1/mode/2up

I also recently started looking at Sega 32X games and I plan to play thru the Star Wars game:

And also want to play some more Sega CD, specifically the Batman game with the cool driving levels and the Make My Video games.

Lastly, I want to take the fighting game enthusiasm I have picked up from SNK games and apply it to the 1 fighting game I actually played and liked during the 90s fighting game crazy: Mortal Kombat 2. Also I want to get into the Sega rip off of MK called Eternal Champions.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:14 pm

samurai shodown is a god tier fighting game, i never liked fatal fury
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:07 am

Canuckster wrote:samurai shodown is a god tier fighting game, i never liked fatal fury

Do you mean the new SamSho? I didnt like 1-3, 4 was good but not great, but 5 special was awesome. Did you ever try Real Bout Fatal Fury? Its much better than the original.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:10 am

- Fatal Fury 3D - Wild ambition?
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:13 am

- I remember Eternal Champions. Never saw a Neo Geo in person. But remember from old magazine.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:17 pm

No, original Samurai shodown was the best one I liked, Garou, Mark of the wolves was also excellent and was an extension of Samurai Shodown. Fatal fury always felt clunky to me.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:38 pm

Garou is actually a Fatal Fury game, which I always found confusing. Its also weird that they have the title then the translation as part of the subtitle. Reminds me of "Manos: The Hands of Fate" :mrgreen:

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:39 pm

Edge Guerrero wrote:- I remember Eternal Champions. Never saw a Neo Geo in person. But remember from old magazine.

Apparently the MVS cabs were really common in Peru and Brazil. Some say it was bigger than SF 2.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:05 pm

Luigi wrote:
Edge Guerrero wrote:- I remember Eternal Champions. Never saw a Neo Geo in person. But remember from old magazine.

Apparently the MVS cabs were really common in Peru and Brazil. Some say it was bigger than SF 2.

- MVS?
The King of fighters was big here. I think the larger roster atracted. But Street Fighter was a phenom.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:35 pm

Skyrim. Doing a werewolf play through.

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”