Politics, History, & 'Conspiracy'
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Re: Russia attacks Ukraine

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:39 pm

American journalist killed in Ukraine

Ivana Saric
Sara Fischer

A freelancer who formerly worked on New York Times projects was killed covering the war in Ukraine, the Times confirmed on Sunday.

What they're saying: "We are deeply saddened to hear of Brent Renaud’s death. Brent was a talented filmmaker who had contributed to The New York Times over the years," the Times wrote in a statement emailed to Axios.

”Though he had contributed to The Times in the past (most recently in 2015), he was not on assignment for any desk at The Times in Ukraine," the statement said. "Early reports that he worked for Times circulated because he was wearing a Times press badge that had been issued for an assignment many years ago."

Why it matters: It's the first known American journalist to be killed in the war in Ukraine. Renaud was an award-winning video journalist that had also worked on projects for PBS and HBO.

National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan told CBS the killing is "obviously shocking and horrifying ... I just learned about it as I came on the air here." Sullivan said, adding that the U.S. will be consulting with Ukraine to "measure and execute appropriate consequences."

"I will just say that this is part and parcel of what has been a brazen aggression on the part of the Russians where they have targeted civilians, they have targeted hospitals, they have targeted places of worship and they have targeted journalists."
The State Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The big picture: The war presents an enormous risk for journalists, both in Ukraine and Russia.

A Ukrainian camera operator was killed when a TV tower was shelled last week.
Russian forces opened fire on Western journalists from Sky News last week.

The Times said it would pull all of its journalists out of Russia last week, given the threat of a new fake news law, but it kept journalists on the ground covering the war in Ukraine, as did other news organizations.

Be smart: Journalists are considered civilians under international humanitarian law. More than two dozen governments, including the U.S., have spoken out in support of press freedom surrounding the war.

“We are shocked and saddened to learn of the death of U.S. journalist Brent Renaud in Ukraine. This kind of attack is totally unacceptable, and is a violation of international law,”] said Carlos Martinez de la Serna, a program director at the Committee to Protect Journalists.

“Russian forces in Ukraine must stop all violence against journalists and other civilians at once, and whoever killed Renaud should be held to account.”

https://www.axios.com/american-journalist-killed-ukraine-624299bb-42aa-4b88-a0ff-2605c7e571fb.html
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:52 pm

Very interesting imo:

US Colonel says:

- All Zelensky had to do was agree to keep Ukraine 'neutral' and this would all be over
- A 'Neutral Ukraine' is a perfectly acceptable solution., no war
- Zelensky is a corrupt puppet
- Zelensky putting civilians at huge risk by simply refusing to make Ukraine neutral (non-NATO)
- Rampant lies in media
etc

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:13 pm

Badass:

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:12 pm

Russians bomb Mariupol theater where hundreds had taken refuge, officials say

By Tim Lister, Olga Voitovych and Tara John

Lviv, Ukraine (CNN)A theater where hundreds of people had taken shelter in Mariupol was bombed on Wednesday, according to local authorities, as hundreds of thousands of people remain trapped in the coastal Ukrainian city that has been encircled for weeks by Russian forces.

Mariupol City Council, who shared an image of the destroyed building, said Russian forces had "purposefully and cynically destroyed the Drama Theater in the heart of Mariupol."

"The plane dropped a bomb on a building where hundreds of peaceful Mariupol residents were hiding," it said.

CNN has geolocated the image and confirmed it is of the theater in the southeastern port city.
Videos of the aftermath showed a fire raging in the theater's ruins. The number of casualties is unknown, authorities said.

The Drama Theater in Mariupol was attacked on Wednesday. The number of casualties is unknown
"It is still impossible to estimate the scale of this horrific and inhumane act, because the city continues to shell residential areas," the council wrote on Telegram. "It is known that after the bombing, the central part of the Drama Theater was destroyed, and the entrance to the bomb shelter in the building was destroyed," it added.

Petro Andruishchenko, an adviser to the mayor of Mariupol, described the theater as the largest shelter "in number and size" in the city's center. "According to preliminary data, more than a thousand people were hiding there," he said. "The probability of getting there to dismantle the rubble is low due to constant shelling and bombing of the city."

The city has no electricity, water, food, with residents melting snow or dismantling heating systems for a drop to drink, he said on Tuesday.
Mariupol has been besieged by Russian forces since March 1. After weeks of failed attempts to establish safe civilian evacuation corridors, about 20,000 people managed to leave the city on Tuesday, Ukraine's Deputy Prime Minister Irina Vereshchuk said.

The theater attack comes just a day after a Ukrainian official accused Russian troops of holding some 400 people captive at Mariupol's Regional Intensive Care Hospital.

"It is impossible to find words that could describe the level of cruelty and cynicism with which the Russian occupiers are destroying the civilian population of the Ukrainian city by the sea. Women, children, and the elderly remain in the enemy's sights. These are completely unarmed peaceful people," the city council said.
"We will never forgive and never forget," it added.

The unfolding humanitarian catastrophe has enraged local officials. "These bastards are trying [to] physically destroy Mariupol and the people of Mariupol, which have been a symbol of our resistance," Pavlo Kyrylenko, head of Donetsk region administration, said on Facebook Wednesday.

He says the "fate is unknown" of the hundreds of people sheltering in the theater "as the entrance to the bomb shelter is blocked by rubble," he said.
"The Russians are already lying, [saying] that the headquarters of the Azov Regiment was there. But they themselves are well aware that there were only civilians," he said.

After Russia bombed a maternity hospital on March 9, its Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov alleged without evidence that the hospital was the ultra-nationalist militia Azov battalion's base and that all patients and nurses had left.

A Russian Ministry of Defense spokesperson later denied in a briefing that Russia had shelled the maternity hospital at all, calling it a "provocation."

Mariupol has been reduced to a battle zone, with the city's deputy mayor telling CNN on Tuesday that Russia has been bombarding the city with missiles, saying that they counted 22 aircraft on Monday "which were bombing our city, and at least 100 bombs."

Residents who fled the city have described conditions there as "unbearable" and "just hell." On Tuesday, shocking drone footage and satellite photos showing rising plumes of thick smoke and destroyed buildings emerged, underscoring the sheer devastation wrought by the Russian bombardment.
As many as 2,500 civilians have died in Mariupol, Ukrainian officials estimate, and hundreds of thousands of people are trapped in the city -- with officials warning those who remain are without electricity, water and heat.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/16/europe/ukraine-mariupol-bombing-theater-intl/index.html

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:11 pm

Some of Assad's thoughts on the issue:

interesting

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:14 pm

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:43 pm

Who is the 'butcher of Mariupol' who allegedly ordered hospital bombing

Col. Gen. Mikhail Mizintsev also reportedly coordinated the attacks in Syria

By Peter Aitken

Russian Col. Gen. Mikhail Mizintsev has earned the nickname "Butcher of Mariupol" for masterminding the harrowing attack on the Ukrainian city that has reduced it to rubble.

Ukrainian military officials claim that Mizintsev orchestrated a similar attack in Syria, leaving the city of Aleppo bomb-shattered. The attack in Mariupol included the bombing of a theater that had marked itself as a shelter with children – an attack that killed roughly 300 people seeking refuge at the time.

Mizintsev, 59, serves as the head of the National Centre for Defense Management, which Russia established in 2014 to direct future military operations.

Here’s what else you need to know about the man who sits in one of the most powerful seats in Russia.

SOVIET-MADE

Mizintsev was born during the height of the Soviet Union’s power in 1962 in a village some 400 miles outside of Moscow.

He swiftly rose through the ranks, studying at the Kiev Higher Combined Arms Command School before becoming the commander of a recon platoon in the Soviet army in East Germany – the same region where KGB agent Vladimir Putin operated.

Following the fall of the Soviet Union, Mizintsev deployed to the Caucasus to command a motorized rifle battalion.

His return to Moscow in the late 1990s led to rapid promotion, culminating in a post in 2003 as the head of operations directorate of the chief of staff, a role that tasked him with military planning duties.

He then took control of the National Centre for Defense Management, at which point he reportedly coordinated Russia’s involvement in the Syrian civil war between 2015 and 2016.

SYRIAN OPERATIONS

Russia assisted Syrian government forces with a series of air strikes, hitting Aleppo with attacks that killed around 1,700 civilians.

Russian forces reportedly used cluster and incendiary bombs and chemical weapons in residential areas, including hospitals.

UKRAINE

Mizintsev has served as the face of the Russian press in statements about the siege of Mariupol.

In video briefings, he called the Ukrainians "bandits" and "neo-Nazis" and accuses them of engaging in "mass terror."

He stands accused of ordering the strikes on multiple civilian infrastructure targets, including schools, hospitals and the theater that sheltered more than 1,000 civilians.

Oleksandra Matviichuk, head of Ukraine’s Centre for Civil Liberties, called on Mizintsev to face war crime charges at the Hague.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/butcher-mariupol-allegedly-ordered-hospital-bombing

penxv

Postby penxv » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:31 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/1 ... 6941085701

Sometimes I think we underestimate how full of shit they are...

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:02 pm

How do examples like this even happen, if not consciously?

Someone has to dig up old footage, and willingly pass it off as new. I get that others will fall for it and share, but originally someone has to start the process.

Why do this at all, if there is really a brutal attack by Russia going on? Shouldn't there be plenty or legit footage? With cell phones and internet there should be plenty of real footage to browse and choose for news hype. But from the start there seems to have been an avalanche of fake stories and recycled footage.

Super weird

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:03 pm

I don't know this source nor have I read any of it.

just bookmarking for later
Appears to have a bunch of data on topics so far I haven't seen much data

https://english.almayadeen.net/news/pol ... -hunter-bi

Return to “The Grand Chessboard”