APFC 6 - A weekend of MMA in VA

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Joe Mama

APFC 6 - A weekend of MMA in VA

Postby Joe Mama » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:47 pm

This past weekend, I had the pleasure of working with some pretty stellar professionals at Anthony Pettis Fight Championship 6 in Virginia.

It was a scramble to make it all come together and there were some hiccups, but man was it fucking amazing.

For a little backstory, APFC is based out of Wisconsin. All of their staff, equipment, overhead, etc, is out of Milwaukee WI. Needless to say their professional crew were flown in, and the hardware needed was rented from the locals here in VA.

The first thing you will notice is the custom canvas and how 'loose fitting' it is. If you look even closer, you will see that the canvas was made for a larger cage than was rented for this event (its cut off in strange places). Which made for an interesting evening of people running around between fights and trying to make it taut again (with little luck). Funny thing is, I know this cage and I know the hands that it has passed through over the years... People in the comments of the Youtube undercard stream were calling it "The ACL snatcher". I almost dieded. But damn if they didn't make it work.

Then on the main card broadcast on UFC Fight pass during the bout with Austin 'Skywalker' Hall and David Davant, Hall shoots in for a takedown and drives his opponent into the cage. Once they hit the side of the cage you see what appears to be something that flies onto the canvas from outside. (Its kind of hard to see on the broadcast if you aren't looking for it) Sitting cageside we were having a 'WTF was that?' Moment.
Answer? - It was an abandoned hive/nest that was apparently overlooked while this cage sat in storage. It was a real "did that shit just really happen?" kind of moment... In all of my years in this biz, that was definitely a first.

All in all, it was a pretty good night. Yes there were some logistical hiccups, and challenges that presented themselves - but like the true professionals I was surrounded with, as a spectator or fan noone was the wiser.

As someone who has to 'eat their own dog food' (aka watch and critique your own performances) watching this event back as a fan of the sport, I was pretty fucking impressed. And honored that I was able to be a part of it, and back on the horse again.

If you haven't watched it yet, the (ammy) prelims are on Youtube. And the main card can be found on UFC Fight Pass.
Its a brand that definitely has potential to do big things.

-Cliffs
Anthony Pettis
Sergio Pettis
Benson Henderson
Were all present as well

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:49 pm

- Still better thatn the olds cages that looked like use maitress back two decades ago.:D
What's was in the nest? Spíders?
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Joe Mama

Postby Joe Mama » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:28 pm

Edge Guerrero wrote:- Still better thatn the olds cages that looked like use maitress back two decades ago.:D

LOL I think this cage might have been mattress 2.0
This cage goes WAY back (heck I think I even remember when it was brand new)

And the nest (I believe) was empty. It was just the nest material that went *poof* into the cage during the fight. They managed to get it cleaned up pretty quickly.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:28 pm

Joe Mama wrote:
Edge Guerrero wrote:- Still better thatn the olds cages that looked like use maitress back two decades ago.:D

LOL I think this cage might have been mattress 2.0
This cage goes WAY back (heck I think I even remember when it was brand new)

And the nest (I believe) was empty. It was just the nest material that went *poof* into the cage during the fight. They managed to get it cleaned up pretty quickly.

- Remeber that event that Taktarov did in ring interviews? The cage door broke in the fights.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:27 pm

Joe Mama wrote:This past weekend, I had the pleasure of working with some pretty stellar professionals at Anthony Pettis Fight Championship 6 in Virginia.

It was a scramble to make it all come together and there were some hiccups, but man was it fucking amazing.

For a little backstory, APFC is based out of Wisconsin. All of their staff, equipment, overhead, etc, is out of Milwaukee WI. Needless to say their professional crew were flown in, and the hardware needed was rented from the locals here in VA.

The first thing you will notice is the custom canvas and how 'loose fitting' it is. If you look even closer, you will see that the canvas was made for a larger cage than was rented for this event (its cut off in strange places). Which made for an interesting evening of people running around between fights and trying to make it taut again (with little luck). Funny thing is, I know this cage and I know the hands that it has passed through over the years... People in the comments of the Youtube undercard stream were calling it "The ACL snatcher". I almost dieded. But damn if they didn't make it work.

Then on the main card broadcast on UFC Fight pass during the bout with Austin 'Skywalker' Hall and David Davant, Hall shoots in for a takedown and drives his opponent into the cage. Once they hit the side of the cage you see what appears to be something that flies onto the canvas from outside. (Its kind of hard to see on the broadcast if you aren't looking for it) Sitting cageside we were having a 'WTF was that?' Moment.
Answer? - It was an abandoned hive/nest that was apparently overlooked while this cage sat in storage. It was a real "did that shit just really happen?" kind of moment... In all of my years in this biz, that was definitely a first.

All in all, it was a pretty good night. Yes there were some logistical hiccups, and challenges that presented themselves - but like the true professionals I was surrounded with, as a spectator or fan noone was the wiser.

As someone who has to 'eat their own dog food' (aka watch and critique your own performances) watching this event back as a fan of the sport, I was pretty fucking impressed. And honored that I was able to be a part of it, and back on the horse again.

If you haven't watched it yet, the (ammy) prelims are on Youtube. And the main card can be found on UFC Fight Pass.
Its a brand that definitely has potential to do big things.

-Cliffs
Anthony Pettis
Sergio Pettis
Benson Henderson
Were all present as well

Awesome dude!!! Thanks for sharing

For those here who don't know, our man Joe Mama is the RING ANNOUNCER in this vid.

Keep going dude, looks like a fun night.

You sound great on the mic as always

Return to “Super Dojo”