Masato Dojo (4 real)

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Re: Making Masato Dojo (4 real)

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat May 22, 2021 9:49 pm

Masato wrote:Yesterday I spent the day attempting to reinforce the rafters so I could:

a) feel safe about all the junk I stashed up there
b) create a chin-up bar
c) create somewhere strong enough to hang a heavy bag

I got a bunch of free scrap pieces of wood from a buddy of mine, and my building skills are next to SHITE lol, so it looks ghetto as fuck but I think it might work.
Gonna put 1 more bolt in for the chinup bar, and get some second opinions on how to install the heavy bag but its starting to come together.

I will take pictures of my horrible handiwork :D
Experts like penxv and Canuckster will LOL

I don't even have a saw to cut or trim so all the reinforcements are uneven and mis-shaped lol

That's the price I pay for inexperience + unwillingness to pay/wait/ask for help.

Hopefully it will work in the end
I'll post recent pics soon

- Use a barrote.

Put a mão francesa :

Dont forget to treat the wood with polistein, to avoid damage caused by humidy.

You can even use the wood post as a makiwara.

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Wed May 26, 2021 4:03 pm

That is awesome!

What kind of mats did you get? I was thinking of getting mats for my rooftop patio, which I got gym equipment up there... but need mats for rolling just in case they close gyms again.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri May 28, 2021 1:33 pm

Diet Butcher wrote:That is awesome!

What kind of mats did you get? I was thinking of getting mats for my rooftop patio, which I got gym equipment up there... but need mats for rolling just in case they close gyms again.

You have a rooftop gym? That is badass.

I remember Machida had a cool rooftop gym. I wrote a similar space into one of my scripts, it was such a cool environment.

Re; the mats, I got these ones:
https://www.benzasports.ca/shop/puzzle-mats/

BenzaPuzzle mats, 30mm.

They were recommended by the instructor at one of the clubs still operating here that I train at, he matted a HUGE space with them and they feel fine I roll all the time on them. Don't know if its as cost efficient for you though, probably better to find a manufacturer in Hong Kong, no?

They have a 40mm too, but they are way more expensive and the 30mm are good enough.

My order has 2 of the 40mm by mistake, I just exchanged them yesterday so our mats are finally done

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri May 28, 2021 1:40 pm

Mats are finally in!

We still have to do the edges on the grappling mats. They are kind of a pain because the edges of each square is all one piece so if you want to edge a larger space you have to cut them yourself to make em fit.

I have a stupid rib injury right now so I'm no training and avoiding bending forward for a while so I need the kids to do that, lol

Grappling side:

Weights side. Thinner mats.
Put up some mirrors too:

Chin up bar:

I had this for years, my daughter wanted to put it up. I told her only if she watches some documentaries on Ali to know who he was better.
Gonna watch 'When We Were Kings' with moth kids soon I hope.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri May 28, 2021 1:42 pm

We also plan to put up a whiteboard, that will be fun for making workout routines, or writing down BJJ techniques we're learning to remind us for drilling

I'm also picking up a heavy bag today from someone who doesn't need it anymore. But I have to wait to put it up because I need someone smarter than me to figure out the engineering to make it strong enough not to collapse my garage, lol. Bag is like 200lbs + all the torque from kicking it etc. I don't think I can just hang it from a rafter lol

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri May 28, 2021 2:49 pm

Diet Butcher wrote:That is awesome!

- Are you a character from Def-Jam Fight for NY?

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri May 28, 2021 3:06 pm

Masato wrote:Mats are finally in!

We still have to do the edges on the grappling mats. They are kind of a pain because the edges of each square is all one piece so if you want to edge a larger space you have to cut them yourself to make em fit.

I have a stupid rib injury right now so I'm no training and avoiding bending forward for a while so I need the kids to do that, lol

Grappling side:

Weights side. Thinner mats.
Put up some mirrors too:

Chin up bar:

I had this for years, my daughter wanted to put it up. I told her only if she watches some documentaries on Ali to know who he was better.
Gonna watch 'When We Were Kings' with moth kids soon I hope.

- It's looking great.

When We Were Kings is a great movie. Sad they didnt show Antonio Inoki

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri May 28, 2021 3:10 pm

Masato wrote:We also plan to put up a whiteboard, that will be fun for making workout routines, or writing down BJJ techniques we're learning to remind us for drilling

I'm also picking up a heavy bag today from someone who doesn't need it anymore. But I have to wait to put it up because I need someone smarter than me to figure out the engineering to make it strong enough not to collapse my garage, lol. Bag is like 200lbs + all the torque from kicking it etc. I don't think I can just hang it from a rafter lol

- You can do one with wood.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri May 28, 2021 3:52 pm

^ you underestimate my complete lack of building skills, lol

Plus I'm on a budget and just want to get er done. This is all just temporary, if everyone still likes it by the fall or next year maybe we can start investing on some upgrades. Maybe insulate and drywall, etc.

For now we're just hacking it together.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri May 28, 2021 3:54 pm

I printed off a crappy black and white photo of my man Saku and wanted to put it up with thumbtacks. I used to decorate all my bachelor pads like this, just fill the walls with inspiring images and thumbtacks,. Even though the garage is already ghetto however the kids said that looked awful and vetoed me from putting it up.

So today I found a frame and framed it. See what they say now, lol

Return to “Super Dojo”