DNA used on murder cases from the 60s

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Luigi

DNA used on murder cases from the 60s

Postby Luigi » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:37 pm

Probably by now everyone knows cops are using DNA databases to ID people from old cold cases, but there have been some that go all the way back to the 60s. Back then DNA had only recently been discovered and cops had no idea how to properly handle evidence for a technology that wouldnt become viable for the next 20 years, and even in the 90s DNA evidence was not trusted enough by the public to get a jury conviction of OJ Simpson. So how crazy is it that this actually has actually solved cases that old. I saw a few where the perp had died long ago, but I found a few where that wasnt the case. One the suspect committed suicide shortly after he was arrested. Another the guy is still alive and now on trial, John Sipos, a 75 year old Nam vet whose DNA was found on the body of Mary Scott, a go-go dancer who was raped and murdered in her apartment in 1969. He pled not guilty and is on trial:

https://www.mcall.com/news/police/mc-nw ... story.html

Another interesting one is this one from 1963, almost 60 years ago yet they were able to get DNA and identify the guy who raped and killed a teenage girl named Peggy Beck while she was in girl scouts camp. The guys name is James Raymond Taylor who would be 80 now but has not been captured. There is no record of his death and actually there is no record of him at all since he was last seen in Las Vegas in 1976.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/l ... st-one-yet

Edit: and heres one from 1960 that was not revived because of DNA, but because the church had covered it up for decades:

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:17 pm

-Those are called cold cases?
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:32 pm

Yeah, thats the popular parlance.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”