This is where I will retire

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

This is where I will retire

Postby Masato » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:27 pm

Itacare, Bahia, Brazil.

Wife and I have always planned to eventually buy property in Brazil, but with all this lockdown craziness we recently started looking a bit harder, just in case things start to really go even more sideways here in Canada that they already are...

Brazil is crazy too but there are still many places that nobody really cares about and seems to be escaping the politics for the most part. We have friends in similar small towns where they say covid just doesn't exist, no lockdowns nothing, even if on paper the state says so. You can grow food there all year round, surf all year round, a place with a bit of land and maybe even mostly off-grid in Brazil is sounding sweeter and sweeter.

The question is - where in Brazil? It's a big country, lots to consider. Well after many years of exploring and researching, I think I am finally considering a location.

I have not been there yet but have travelled up and down the coast pretty far, I've been through Bahia and know more or less what it's like. I know the coast in Sao Paulo state too, how it's different, and I've been further north as well around Natal where it is much more dry, less forest, less mountains, and no surfing :(

Itacare is far enough away from major cities, but close enough to airports etc so travelling to and from Canada is not so brutal. It's 1.5 hours away from a major airport, Ilheus. I'm guessing from Toronto I would land in Sao Paulo, connect to Ilheus, then 1.5 hours drive. I can handle that a couple times a year.

Wonder if there is any jiu jitsu around there.

Anyways

change my mind, lol

ITACARE, BRAZIL

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:31 pm

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:35 pm

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:47 pm

If we sold all our equity right now I could buy a SWEET place there, right on the beach with land. We've been looking at prices.

I can work from there anytime as I work remote freelance, and the value of my work would actually almost quadruple because I would get paid in CAN or USD which when converted to Brazilian currency it's quite a lot, $100 CAN will go a lot further there than it does here. Plus I could be debt free, no mortgage.

However we don't want to burn our bridge to Canada. So far it seems we should probably let the kids finish school. They speak portuguese but have no experience reading or writing I think they would drown in school there. Maybe if schools in Canada go fully remote I might consider, but that's a pretty extreme outcome here I'm not ready to bet on that yet

Plus we have to see what the kids want to do after highschool etc.

So tempting but don't want to rush a decision. However if I wait too long, maybe the value of my house will drop, or communist Trudeau will make it state owned or something crazy like that lol. House prices are high now it may be last chance to sell. On the other hand I love my current home and life is pretty peaceful here. If they would only let my wife work, but she is forced to lockdown. If that stretches too long we may have to speed up the plan.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:57 pm

Do it now. No time to waste and a Brazilian education will be better for your kids in Brazil.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:50 am

Masato wrote:Itacare, Bahia, Brazil.

Wife and I have always planned to eventually buy property in Brazil, but with all this lockdown craziness we recently started looking a bit harder, just in case things start to really go even more sideways here in Canada that they already are...

Brazil is crazy too but there are still many places that nobody really cares about and seems to be escaping the politics for the most part. We have friends in similar small towns where they say covid just doesn't exist, no lockdowns nothing, even if on paper the state says so. You can grow food there all year round, surf all year round, a place with a bit of land and maybe even mostly off-grid in Brazil is sounding sweeter and sweeter.

The question is - where in Brazil? It's a big country, lots to consider. Well after many years of exploring and researching, I think I am finally considering a location.

I have not been there yet but have travelled up and down the coast pretty far, I've been through Bahia and know more or less what it's like. I know the coast in Sao Paulo state too, how it's different, and I've been further north as well around Natal where it is much more dry, less forest, less mountains, and no surfing :(

Itacare is far enough away from major cities, but close enough to airports etc so travelling to and from Canada is not so brutal. It's 1.5 hours away from a major airport, Ilheus. I'm guessing from Toronto I would land in Sao Paulo, connect to Ilheus, then 1.5 hours drive. I can handle that a couple times a year.

Wonder if there is any jiu jitsu around there.

Anyways

change my mind, lol

ITACARE, BRAZIL

- Come here to the south, and we can recreate a beach themed Broken Back Montain. :mrgreen:

You should research about the security of the place. Here is relative safe, and we get some dangerous crimes. Like a huge heist in Criciuma(thats is a city from my state) last year.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:52 am

- Those places are know for producing tough guys.
Some rodas of Capoeira Looks like a Kumite tournament.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:55 am

Som-Pong wrote:Do it now. No time to waste and a Brazilian education will be better for your kids in Brazil.

- We get some very good private schools in Brasil. And reading Sherdog, looks like even a university degree is a little cheaper here.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:39 am

I thought University was free in Brazil if you can score high enough on the entrance tests

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:44 am

It looks wonderful, and Brazil has normal social values so you can shield your children from further propaganda.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”