K 1 1993 Maurice Smith vs Ernesto Hoost

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Masato
Site Admin

Re: K 1 1993 Maurice Smith vs Ernesto Hoost

Postby Masato » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:23 pm

Edge Guerrero wrote:
Megaterio Llamas wrote:In many ways Hume/Paulson was the first modern mma fight between two well rounded, complete fighters. Remember this was 1996 and it was still very much a style vs style sport.

Hume vs Paulson wouldn't have looked out of place on last weekend's card. A landmark fight.

- Remember Jerry Bohlander?
Dude vanished from the sport.

I do remember Jerry Bohlander, he was one of my favourite fighters back in the day. Indeed, he just disappeared.

I am actually surprised how good many of these fights are. I've been watching a bunch of old fights lately, and I think there was a small window of time when the fighting was actually better than we might have realized. A lot of old fights I'm watching right are really technical, amazing matches.

A lot of amazing fighters at some unique times in MMA history,, when different orgs starting sprouting up all under the radar, a small few knew what was happening and the world had not yet figured it out.

EDIT: just watched that Bohlander HL, was amazing. His grappling was WAY ahead of its time. He's got real BJJ sweeps etc that are fuckin perfect, at high speeds in scrambles etc. Very tight technique

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:52 pm

way rougher back then too

Many events were no gloves... less rules. These were scary fights man. Makes modern MMA look kind of soft sometimes

Watching Igor Z vs Lober now.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:05 pm

What?!?

- Gene LeBell was in Igor Z's corner for that fight!

I had no idea. You can hear LeBell yelling a bunch clearly through the fight.

Interesting.

Rough fight man

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:11 pm

So I watched a bunch of those Battlecade events, Ryan Gracie was champion for a bunch of em. My god he looked vicious out there, just wrecking his opponents he looks so skilled and scary.

Which makes me think wtf when I remember THIS:

LOLOLOLOLOL

The story was that Ryan was injured but, still... :?

So seriously, was Saku really that good, that he could toy like this with the Extreme Fighting Battlecade Champion? Or is it possible that the Gracies actually took some Yakuza hush money to let Saku out on a show?

Its really amazing. I'm telling you, fact or fiction, Saku is the GOAT

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:53 pm

^^ they shoulda made that vid longer

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:06 am

This was the fourth and final Battlecade EF event from early '97. This one featured a pair of Olympic Gold Medalists in freestyle wrestling, Kevin Jackson and Kenny Monday. I don't think this event was widely circulated on vhs, for whatever reason it's a bit of a collector's item. Hated to see the Battlecade go, it was leagues beyond UFC at the time. Way better, more evolved with vastly better matchmaking and fights.

RIP EF ;)

March 28 1997 Des Moines Iowa

Maurice Smith vs Kazanari Murukami
Kevin Jackson vs John Lober
Kenny Monday vs John Lewis
Erik Paulson vs Paul Jones
Allan Goes vs Todd Bjornethun
Matt Hume vs Pat Miletich
Gary Myers vs Tom Glanville
el rey del mambo

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:33 pm

Hume vs Miletich! wow

Another Erik Paulson fight -

Allan Goes is another fighter that looked ruthless in Battlecade, but Saku handled easily. To my own horror, I'm actually starting to wonder if Saku's early streak in MMA might have been bought off. Goes was so timid in his fight with Saku compared to his demeanor in Battlecade. Same with Ryan Gracie, Macias... And Belfort too, those guys all rolled over for Saku. Freaky to think my Saku fandom obsession might have been fake lol :cry:

These are good cards, man. Thanks for introducing/reminding me of these vids I've been enjoying a few days of work now having them in the background.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:09 pm

Holy shit I just watched Igor Z vs Mario Sperry

wow, amazing.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:10 pm

Igor Z underrated, never got the credit he deserves

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:04 pm

Megaterio Llamas wrote:This was the fourth and final Battlecade EF event from early '97. This one featured a pair of Olympic Gold Medalists in freestyle wrestling, Kevin Jackson and Kenny Monday. I don't think this event was widely circulated on vhs, for whatever reason it's a bit of a collector's item. Hated to see the Battlecade go, it was leagues beyond UFC at the time. Way better, more evolved with vastly better matchmaking and fights.

RIP EF ;)

March 28 1997 Des Moines Iowa

Maurice Smith vs Kazanari Murukami
Kevin Jackson vs John Lober
Kenny Monday vs John Lewis
Erik Paulson vs Paul Jones
Allan Goes vs Todd Bjornethun
Matt Hume vs Pat Miletich
Gary Myers vs Tom Glanville

Watching now. They say in Paulson's corner was some legend that they claim was Bruce Lee's top student. How cool for him to see that, I think Erik would have made Bruce proud

Return to “Super Dojo”