Smoking Pot can kill you now. Because COVID19

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Chris G

Smoking Pot can kill you now. Because COVID19

Postby Chris G » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:56 pm

Smoking weed and coronavirus: Even occasional use raises risk of Covid-19 complications

By Sandee LaMotte, CNN

Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT) April 10, 2020

Your brain on marijuana

Smoking marijuana, even occasionally, can increase your risk for more severe complications from Covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

"What happens to your airways when you smoke cannabis is that it causes some degree of inflammation, very similar to bronchitis, very similar to the type of inflammation that cigarette smoking can cause," said pulmonologist Dr. Albert Rizzo, chief medical officer for the American Lung Association. "Now you have some airway inflammation and you get an infection on top of it. So, yes, your chance of getting more complications is there."

Hey wait, you might say, I've only just started and I'm not smoking much -- so what's the harm?
The problem, said Dr. Mitchell Glass, a pulmonologist and spokesperson for the American Lung Association, is that the last thing you want during a pandemic is to make it more difficult for a doctor to diagnose your symptoms.

"Covid-19 is a pulmonary disease," Glass said. "Do you really want to have a confounding variable if you need to see a doctor or a healthcare worker by saying, 'Oh, and by the way, I'm not a regular user of cannabis, but I decided to use cannabis to calm myself down.'
"You don't want to do anything that's going to confound the ability of healthcare workers to make a rapid, accurate assessment of what's going on with you," he added.

Is that cough from smoking or coronavirus?

"Chronic" marijuana smoking, defined as daily use, damages the lungs over a period of time. The end result "looks a lot like chronic bronchitis, which is of course one of the terms we use for chronic obstructive lung disease, or COPD," Glass said.
Patients at risk for heart problems should be cautious about using marijuana
Patients at risk for heart problems should be cautious about using marijuana
Smokers, people with COPD and other chronic lung diseases, as well as people with moderate to severe asthma are among those at high risk for severe illness from Covid-19, including the worst-case scenario of being placed on a ventilator in order to continue breathing.

Signs of lung damage from smoking even just a few cigarettes can show up in a matter of days. While a hit or two of marijuana doesn't compare, there are some unique properties to a joint of weed that are definitely problematic for the lungs even if you're a new smoker, Glass said.
Think of what happens to a cigarette when lit and left in an ashtray -- it will burn quickly all the way down to the filter, with nothing left but ash.
"It's surrounded by paper. It's completely dried out. It is made to burn at a very high temperature," Glass said.

Now think of how a joint burns -- there's always some weed left, the "roach," as it is called.

"Marijuana burns at a much, much lower temperature than a commercially made cigarette," said Glass. "Because of that, the person is inhaling a certain amount of unburnt plant material."

That irritates the lungs in the same manner as ragweed, birch and oak pollen does for those allergic to them, he said.

"So right off the bat there are those patients who would be increasingly susceptible to having a bronchospasm or cough because they have a more sensitive airway."
And since a dry cough is a key sign of Covid-19, any cough caused by smoking a joint of weed could easily mimic that symptom, making diagnosis more difficult.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/10/heal ... _term=link

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:33 pm

I was in agreement until a saw at the end its from a CNN link
:D

I think I likely had corona in January before I knew about it. My lungs got nasty and I was scared it was from too much weed. Had them checked out, all tests came back negative. Lungs recover very quickly in my experience, 1 week no weed and some cardio exercise and they feel cleaned out again

On the other hand I have an elderly friend with COPD, and my uncle just died from lung cancer and he smoked both herb and tobacco like a chimney till the day he died, he went out pretty hard

Chris G

Postby Chris G » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:46 pm

i know a 75 year old dude who’s been smoking like a chimney his entire life, never had a lung problem. His family tries to get him to stop but he swears the day he stops is the day he’ll get problems from all his smoking. Might be something to that.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:16 pm

Chris G wrote:i know a 75 year old dude who’s been smoking like a chimney his entire life, never had a lung problem. His family tries to get him to stop but he swears the day he stops is the day he’ll get problems from all his smoking. Might be something to that.

smoking cigarettes? or herb? I think there is a vast distinction.

And yes indeed the variation from individual to individual is so great

It's not just the smoke itself, it's the combination with 1 million other things of a holistic system. This includes stress and worry and thinking patters too which doctors never much take into consideration. Diet, level of exercise/cardio, other health issues, blood etc etc etc... I think our health is our own individual total chemistry of all these things, that's why I don't like such definitive or over-simplistic articles and studies about a lot of this stuff

Chris G

Postby Chris G » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:47 pm

Smoking cigs, yup.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”