Metallica Guitarist Horror Movie Poster Collection

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
Masato
Site Admin

Metallica Guitarist Horror Movie Poster Collection

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:30 pm

Hey all

So I have this painter friend who is a huge Frank Frazetta fan (famous pioneer fantasy artist/genius), and told me there was an actual Frazetta in a gallery somewhere in Toronto. We get along well so we booked the day and and I took him to see it.

Turns out the painting were part of a temporary exhibition of Horror-Movie-Poster Artwork from a personal collection of Kirk Hammett, the lead guitarist for Metallica! This was trippy cause my friend and I actually used to gawk at Frazetta art in highschool while listening to Metallica lol

Anyways it was a great show. The Frazetta paintings did not disappoint, my buddy studied them hard for like 20 minutes, lol he says he wanted to see his brushstrokes to figure out how he painted or something. (I am a digital illustrator personally, I don't know shit about painting lol)

detail from the poster. I keep looking at it, I don't know about anyone else but I find this style to be pure eye candy:

The 3 Frazetta paintings:

The Berserker:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:32 pm

I took more pictures but I also found this vid of Hammett taking you through the whole collection so pics are kind of redundant. Enjoy if you like this sort of thing:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:38 pm

We got a new member here (!) - RussfromNH from TMMAC, he showed up in a thread I made there about Frazetta.

- Welcome dude!

Funny how my 2 favourite forums both don't give a shit about art, lol but RussfromNH jumped in and understands what the fuss is about, as Frazetta is a true badass and a giant among artists imo

He posted these vids which I haven't watched yet but really want to so I'm bookmarking here for later. One nice thing about a small forum is you can actually find shit again when you need, lol they don't get lost in 100 pages of trolling and lost in the back pages after a day :D

I will watch these for sure, thanks new member RussfromNH

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:46 pm

Well OK a few photos lol

some of my favourites (from an illustration perspective, not necessarily the films):

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:47 pm

They rigged up this super old TV to play 'The Day The Earth Stood Still' - see the UFO in the upper right sky?

I watched for a few minutes, it was very compelling I'd like to actually watch the film. Didn't look cheesy like I expected. I don't give old films enough credit

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:51 pm

Here was another film I learned about that I want to look deeper into:

METROPOLIS

Apparently it was a huge-production film made in Germany between the World Wars, like the Avatar of its day - but was lost and now only pieces remain or something. Strong cultural historical significance

Our friend ENOCK chimed in at the MMAC and offered this about the film:

Metropolis was one of the most occult films made in history.

It was always their ultimate goal - man giving up his free will to Satan by merging with the machine.

Many pay homage to the blue print the film set forth...

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”