Saw a 9/11 play last night

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Saw a 9/11 play last night

Postby Masato » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:59 pm

In Toronto. Elgin Theatre. Was great

It's about when all the planes were grounded on 9/11, and thousands of people had to land in a small newfie town called Gander, Newfoundland.

I came fully prepared for at least a line or two of propaganda to push the official narrative, but surprisingly the play steered totally clear of the politics or details. Just about human beings, how we reacted in general, and being stuck on a plane for 28 hours without explanation only to be sheltered after by a buncha friendly weirdos lol. Nicely done.

There was some about an Egyptian character who instantly was received by many (americans) as suspicious etc though he was just a dude from Egypt. He gets detained just for being middle eastern, and a full strip search (no nudity on stage, lol was just implied) which really bothers him as a married/muslim man. But that's about political as it got. However there was a line near the end where a character from NY finally goes back home and comments how weird it was that even after 5-6 days or whatever Ground Zero was still burning hot. I wonder why the writer/director chose to keep that line in.

Fuckin Newfies lol

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:56 pm

Im surprised you went and saw this.

It is with no small amount of irony that they used a hate term in the title of the play about people at their best.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:39 pm

What do you mean? I don’t understand thx

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:34 pm

The term "come from away"is a derogatory term used by east coasters for people who come there to live who weren't born there. It isn't just a label, its a heavy xenophobic insult. I grew up on the east coast, and we weren't born there, so trust me I know what "those people"are all about.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:45 pm

Canuckster wrote:The term "come from away"is a derogatory term used by east coasters for people who come there to live who weren't born there. It isn't just a label, its a heavy xenophobic insult. I grew up on the east coast, and we weren't born there, so trust me I know what "those people"are all about.

How would someone use that term in a sentence for example?

Interesting...

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:00 pm

It's funny, I just did a search on the term and the internet has scrubbed the term to make it sound like it's just a thing east coasters say, but trust me, it's not the case at all, if people ask you where your from, and your not born there or generational family, your termed come from away, you're not from there. And you can and likely will be shunned by the local populace if the majority of people there are locals.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:18 pm

^^ well there ya go Canuckster

You wuz right.

interesting
thx penxv - do you have some east coast in ya? Or just a good interwebz hunter?

penxv

Postby penxv » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:18 am

Never heard of this term until I googled it based on this thread.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”