Diet Butcher got his PURPLE BELT

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Masato
Site Admin

Diet Butcher got his PURPLE BELT

Postby Masato » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:13 pm

Diet Butcher wrote:Well I'll be damned. Just got my purple belt tonight.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6349&start=10

Dude is humble so he slipped it in some obscure thread... but this is major reason to celebrate!!

CONRATS MAN!! That is a significant achievement. Some say its the hardest to get in terms of committing to the sport and fighting through hard learning curves.

Really proud of ya DB. How old are you now? I'm 44 and gunning for my purple as well, you beat me to it ;)

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:46 am

- Congratulations, Bro!
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:44 pm

haha... thanks broskis!

Not humble really... just kinda embarrassed that I first started BJJ 21 years ago and am only getting my purple now (on the higher end of mid-40s now), lol. Meanwhile all the guys I started with are now black belts. But I think that was my motivation this time around. Just to be consistent and show up to class.

The purple belt puts a bit more pressure on me now, since at our gym we have 2 black belt coaches. And the rest are whites and blues. And I'm the first purple. Which means if neither black belt can teach class, then it's me at the helm. Whereas before it could be any one of us higher striped blues. Ah well, opportunity for me to learn how to teach, lesson plan, etc.

Keep it up bro... let's see if we can both get our black belts by um.... 55? LOL Freedom 55!

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:49 pm

WTF? This just popped up on my recommended videos. Scary...

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:55 pm

- Like Kenny Loggins said on the great movie Top Gun:

I'd say it was the right time
To walk away
When dreaming takes you nowhere
It's time to play
Bodies working overtime
Your money don't matter

The time keeps ticking
When someone's on your mind
On your mind
I'm moving in slow motion
Feels so good

It's a strange anticipation
Knock, knock, knockin' on wood
Bodies working overtime
It's man against man

And all that ever matters is, baby
Who's ahead in the game
Funny but it's always the same
Playing, playing with the boys
Staying, playing with the boys
After chasing sunsets
One of life's simple joys
Is playing with the boys

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:07 pm

Diet Butcher wrote:haha... thanks broskis!

Not humble really... just kinda embarrassed that I first started BJJ 21 years ago and am only getting my purple now (on the higher end of mid-40s now), lol. Meanwhile all the guys I started with are now black belts. But I think that was my motivation this time around. Just to be consistent and show up to class.

The purple belt puts a bit more pressure on me now, since at our gym we have 2 black belt coaches. And the rest are whites and blues. And I'm the first purple. Which means if neither black belt can teach class, then it's me at the helm. Whereas before it could be any one of us higher striped blues. Ah well, opportunity for me to learn how to teach, lesson plan, etc.

Keep it up bro... let's see if we can both get our black belts by um.... 55? LOL Freedom 55!

- We see pro-fighters getting their black-belts in several arts after they already stoped competing. We all have diferent paths.
Im a huge martial-arts movie fan, Daniel Bernhardt got his blue injiu-jitsu a couple of months ago. Even though he been a taekwondo black-belt for decades. The thing is stay hungry!

Look at how manny people you know that said theyre gonna start training, and never did!

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:13 pm

Congrats dude! They say the purple belts of today are as good as the black belts of old.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:51 am

Diet Butcher wrote:haha... thanks broskis!

haha that's me too. I started in like 98 or 99. Canuckster was there lol

I thought I held the world record for longest white belt but maybe you beat me :D Its sad to think where I'm at right now with my game, considering how long I've been wrasslin. Just took too many years off, didn't understand the commitment needed till the last 5-6 years or so.

Tonight a group of guys from a town 1.5 hours north of here came to visit our club. I rolled with 2 of their blue belts and handled them easily. Of course we were all being friendly and not really trying to compete but I could feel it enough. Made me happy, you've added fuel to my inspiration, I'm coming for that purple, man! :D

That was an interesting vid about life as a purple. Some good ideas. Weird it came to your recommended videos indeed :?

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:24 pm

YUp. I also started in 1998. Then quit in 2001. Then started again in 2008 for a few months. Then stopped. Then again in 2010. Stopped again. Thought I would never roll again as I was pushing 40. Then one day a couple years ago, the manager at the Anytime Fitness where I lift asked me to train with him to help him prepare for a BJJ tournament (we had talked about MMA and BJJ before), so I thought why not. Thought I would get killed, but I held my own. Decided to get back into it and haven't stopped since. So that's my journey so far!

Also, coach is on vacation in Thailand, and our other black belt is gone to Switzerland for 5 weeks, so I taught class 2 nights in a row. Getting the hang of it slowly. I don't like leading warm ups though. I find I prefer teaching technique. I think it sharpens my own technique as well. 8-)

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:38 pm

Our warm ups are rolling

Everyone does a 3-5 min round with everyone.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Return to “Super Dojo”