New Lion King movie

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Luigi

New Lion King movie

Postby Luigi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:49 am

I just watched the new Lion King in theatres in 3D a few days after rewatching the original cartoon version. It was awesome, a few little things to nitpick at but overall it was awesome. Yet all the critics seem to think its shit. Looking at fan reviews most people are saying "its good but I like the original more."

Maybe people dont understand this because they havent watched the original in 10 years, but its scene for scene shot for shot the same movie. They followed the script almost exactly, all the scenes are from the exact same camera angle, etc. As for the things that they actually do change I can list them all: the songs "I cant wait to be king" and "be prepared" are much less grand than the cartoon for the sake of realism(you cant show rows of goosestepping hyena soldiers without shattering any feeling of reality), the hyenas are more serious, in the gorge scene Scar tells Zazu to get help instead of knocking him unconscious, Timon and Pumba talk with lisps and gay manorisms, the moral of the story in the original movie about how Hakuna Matata seems fun at first but turns out to be irresponsible and detrimental is shown and stated much more clearly in this remake, when Simba is sad and contemplating his life choices they add a long scene of some of his hair flying away getting eaten by a giraffe and rolled by a dung beetle before Rafiki finds it and realizes Simba is alive(replacing a divination scene in the original), they add a scene of Scar trying to court Simba's mother by offering her food which she rejects, when Scar whispers to Simba he killed Mufasa instead of Simba choking him and making him admit it to everyone Simba just escapes and then another lion points out a contradiction in Scars story showing hes lying.

So were the small changes good or bad? I went into this movie assuming they were going to mess up the original or at least obscure all the positive messaging of the original, but actually it was very well done, the changes were minimal and overall it actually amplified the positive messages of the original. The realism was cool because real lions are awe inspiring and real hyenas are legitimately scary. Scar going after Simba's mother actually feels like a scene that should have been in the original rather than an obtrusive scene tacked on. It shows the reality of weak but intelligent men using resources to court women, and the loyal woman resisting powerful but creepy suitors. When I watched the original I was impressed Disney had the balls to have the Hyenas eat Scar even though they only showed the silouette of it happening, and in this new version they actually show the Hyenas jump on him before it cuts away. So a lot of the changed actually improved the movie instead of making it worse.

Were any of the changes bad? I can nitpick a few. The main one that annoyed me was when the replace the scene of Rafiki performing a divination with the long scene of the hair in the wind. Another was that Beyonce was the voice actress for Nala and she stood out like a sore thumb, pretty unfitting voice for the tomboy yet noble hunter lioness. With the whole Timon and Pumba being gay thing you would expect there was some SJW influence thrown in but actually there was almost none of that. If anything there was a bit of removal of some non-PC stuff from the original. For example when Scar took power in the original he says he cant rule on his own so he wants to usher in a new era where lions are hyenas live in harmony side by side, while in the remake that line was ommited. Theres one part where a hyena calls Pumba fat and he says he wont be ashamed of his body but its too goofy to really take seriously.

Overall I thought it was an awesome movie, what did youz think?

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:03 pm

I think Disney is Satan and they can suck a gigantic dick
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:36 pm

Beyonce's voice is annoying AF.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:22 pm

- I love the original cartoon!
But with exception of Spiderman movies, Disney is doing good with rebbots.
The Ducktales one is great.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:02 am

Luigi wrote:I just watched the new Lion King in theatres in 3D a few days after rewatching the original cartoon version. It was awesome, a few little things to nitpick at but overall it was awesome. Yet all the critics seem to think its shit. Looking at fan reviews most people are saying "its good but I like the original more."

Maybe people dont understand this because they havent watched the original in 10 years, but its scene for scene shot for shot the same movie. They followed the script almost exactly, all the scenes are from the exact same camera angle, etc. As for the things that they actually do change I can list them all: the songs "I cant wait to be king" and "be prepared" are much less grand than the cartoon for the sake of realism(you cant show rows of goosestepping hyena soldiers without shattering any feeling of reality), the hyenas are more serious, in the gorge scene Scar tells Zazu to get help instead of knocking him unconscious, Timon and Pumba talk with lisps and gay manorisms, the moral of the story in the original movie about how Hakuna Matata seems fun at first but turns out to be irresponsible and detrimental is shown and stated much more clearly in this remake, when Simba is sad and contemplating his life choices they add a long scene of some of his hair flying away getting eaten by a giraffe and rolled by a dung beetle before Rafiki finds it and realizes Simba is alive(replacing a divination scene in the original), they add a scene of Scar trying to court Simba's mother by offering her food which she rejects, when Scar whispers to Simba he killed Mufasa instead of Simba choking him and making him admit it to everyone Simba just escapes and then another lion points out a contradiction in Scars story showing hes lying.

So were the small changes good or bad? I went into this movie assuming they were going to mess up the original or at least obscure all the positive messaging of the original, but actually it was very well done, the changes were minimal and overall it actually amplified the positive messages of the original. The realism was cool because real lions are awe inspiring and real hyenas are legitimately scary. Scar going after Simba's mother actually feels like a scene that should have been in the original rather than an obtrusive scene tacked on. It shows the reality of weak but intelligent men using resources to court women, and the loyal woman resisting powerful but creepy suitors. When I watched the original I was impressed Disney had the balls to have the Hyenas eat Scar even though they only showed the silouette of it happening, and in this new version they actually show the Hyenas jump on him before it cuts away. So a lot of the changed actually improved the movie instead of making it worse.

Were any of the changes bad? I can nitpick a few. The main one that annoyed me was when the replace the scene of Rafiki performing a divination with the long scene of the hair in the wind. Another was that Beyonce was the voice actress for Nala and she stood out like a sore thumb, pretty unfitting voice for the tomboy yet noble hunter lioness. With the whole Timon and Pumba being gay thing you would expect there was some SJW influence thrown in but actually there was almost none of that. If anything there was a bit of removal of some non-PC stuff from the original. For example when Scar took power in the original he says he cant rule on his own so he wants to usher in a new era where lions are hyenas live in harmony side by side, while in the remake that line was ommited. Theres one part where a hyena calls Pumba fat and he says he wont be ashamed of his body but its too goofy to really take seriously.

Cool breakdown, Luigi thanks I've been curious how much these films stick to/or stray from the 2D versions.

From what I can see, I find this to be soul-less movie making. A transparent cash grab/pure franchise manipulation.

How can there be any passion in just duplicating something that's already been done to every detail? Where is the creativity? Where is the vision of a director? What is the point? (other than pure revenue)

I saw the Beauty and the Beast remake, and at least that film dared stray at last 30% from the original, but at the time I didn't know Disney was going all out to do every single goddamn film lol (that is the plan, correct?)

I also TRIED to watch Aladdin on a plane recently with Will Smith, but oh my god by the time Will Smith started sing-songing and dancing (about 3 minutes in) I had to abort lol. Just feels so forced. And honestly travelling through Egypt at the time, it looked TOTALLY un-authentic and ridiculous, the colors, costumes, art direction. Its like some ignorant stereotype, as if the designers didn't even do any real research on historical life. I thought maybe an Aladdin remake would be cool if they filmed more realistically, lots of drab sand and dusty cinematography, real filthy characters and authentic looking towns and structures. I might even wanna watch that. But this was a fucking Skittles commercial lol

I just the whole thing comes off cheap and manipulative. I thought re-makes and sequels and re-boots and spinoffs were already getting out of hand, but guess not, lol this jumps the shark for me.

We need some goddamn originality in the movie biz, MAN.

Oh I watched an Italian film called COPPERMAN on the plane instead of that Aladdin crap. It was pretty good, lol actually I never got to finish it but the first 1/2 was very fresh, original, funny and great to look at. go check it if you're lookin for a flick

Fuck Disney.
:D

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:35 am

Masato wrote:
Luigi wrote:I just watched the new Lion King in theatres in 3D a few days after rewatching the original cartoon version. It was awesome, a few little things to nitpick at but overall it was awesome. Yet all the critics seem to think its shit. Looking at fan reviews most people are saying "its good but I like the original more."

Cool breakdown, Luigi thanks I've been curious how much these films stick to/or stray from the 2D versions.

From what I can see, I find this to be soul-less movie making. A transparent cash grab/pure franchise manipulation.

How can there be any passion in just duplicating something that's already been done to every detail? Where is the creativity? Where is the vision of a director? What is the point? (other than pure revenue)

I saw the Beauty and the Beast remake, and at least that film dared stray at last 30% from the original, but at the time I didn't know Disney was going all out to do every single goddamn film lol (that is the plan, correct?)

I also TRIED to watch Aladdin on a plane recently with Will Smith, but oh my god by the time Will Smith started sing-songing and dancing (about 3 minutes in) I had to abort lol. Just feels so forced. And honestly travelling through Egypt at the time, it looked TOTALLY un-authentic and ridiculous, the colors, costumes, art direction. Its like some ignorant stereotype, as if the designers didn't even do any real research on historical life. I thought maybe an Aladdin remake would be cool if they filmed more realistically, lots of drab sand and dusty cinematography, real filthy characters and authentic looking towns and structures. I might even wanna watch that. But this was a fucking Skittles commercial lol

I just the whole thing comes off cheap and manipulative. I thought re-makes and sequels and re-boots and spinoffs were already getting out of hand, but guess not, lol this jumps the shark for me.

We need some goddamn originality in the movie biz, MAN.

Oh I watched an Italian film called COPPERMAN on the plane instead of that Aladdin crap. It was pretty good, lol actually I never got to finish it but the first 1/2 was very fresh, original, funny and great to look at. go check it if you're lookin for a flick

Fuck Disney.
:D

The remake vs originality debate is one Ive been having for years in the gaming world and it seems like it really does just come down to profitability. I remember there was this game that came out called Dishonored and it was a new IP with tons of creativity and AAA quality, and it came and went in the blink of an eye, financially its performance was sub-par. Meanwhile its highly profitable to make movie based video games that are borderline broken. Then when an established IP gets a remake/reboot/sequel people are disappointed when its not like the original but also disappointed if its too much like the original. The focus on faithful recreations seems to just be them taking the economically safe path instead of taking a risk and in this case I think it was a good decision. If they had tried to do it their way Im almost certain they would have fucked it up. Of course I can also see the point of view of those who says its just a tech demo cash grab, in a way it is, but I still shamelessly liked it lol

Return to “Anarchy Zone”