BJJ in Toronto (for a friend)

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
evil-kungfool

BJJ in Toronto (for a friend)

Postby evil-kungfool » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:18 am

Hey guys I've got an online buddy who wants to check out BJJ. He's in his early 20's and broke and probably won't be able to do a high monthly or 12 month contract, but I want him to try out a few free classes.

Any recommendations of places? This is someone looking for self-defense value so I don't want him to walk into Berimbolo or Guard Passing week at a Gi-only gym.

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:04 pm

Open Mat BJJ. It is run by Elliot Bayev. You may have seen him in Stephan Kesting videos. He's the one with the goddawful hairdo (looking like a Franciscan monk). despite his hair (or lack of), he's a legit self defense oriented BB .

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:46 pm

Diet Butcher wrote:Open Mat BJJ. It is run by Elliot Bayev. You may have seen him in Stephan Kesting videos. He's the one with the goddawful hairdo (looking like a Franciscan monk). despite his hair (or lack of), he's a legit self defense oriented BB .

Crazy. That's exactly the gym I suggested. He's a high-IQ White Male so I got him interested by sending Stephan Kesting Self-Defense vids. I poked around on GrappleArts.com to see if I could find where Kesting trained, and that bought me to OpenMat MMA.

I saw they had beginners BJJ classes as well as the slew of Takedown and Striking classes. Personally, I enjoy going to technical sport-BJJ gyms to pick up the finer details of techniques, and like lazy sparring sessions from the knees, but that's absolutely not what I this guys first-time experience to be.

Do any of you train at OpenMat? Has anyone actually rolled there?

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:47 am

If you're looking for a rough and tumble first experience, the rumble academy is where he needs to go
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:47 am

Problem is its in brantford
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:31 am

Awesome suggestion. Checking them out on FB now. It looks like they only do 2 classes a week, and do it at a TMA academy. It might turn out to be a bit cheaper.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:51 am

Your boy could go to rumble for free for his trial

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:45 am

Don’t be silly canuckster. If dude is in Toronto he’s not coming to Brantford

I have a good friend in Toronto who speaks highly of these systema classes he takes. I don’t know much about systema but he says it’s great they get to fight all the time, lots of practical combat stuff.

Let me know if this interests him I’ll find the link

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:12 am

isn't Brantford like just north of Newmarket? Or am I thinking of Bradford?

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:07 am

youre thinking of bradford

Return to “Super Dojo”