MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Ayrshire Grappler

Squid Guard & Sweep to Armbar

Postby Ayrshire Grappler » Tue May 08, 2018 11:50 pm

BJJ Match Studies available @ http://www.Youtube.com/AyrshireGrappler

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Wed May 09, 2018 3:33 am

Awesome vid.

The guy who went up against Leandro Lo this week at ACBJJ 13 used this to stave him off. Very impressive.

I've been practicing something similar in NoGi, but this looks better with more direct attacks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IWL67zu3s4

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Wed May 09, 2018 11:36 pm

I see you got a Brown Belt since your last tech. vid. Congrats.

Ayrshire Grappler

Postby Ayrshire Grappler » Thu May 10, 2018 4:45 pm

Thanks got my Brown couple of months ago.

I’ll give that Mantis Guard a look.

Ayrshire Grappler

Postby Ayrshire Grappler » Thu May 10, 2018 4:45 pm

I’ll give that ACB Fight a look also.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Thu May 10, 2018 9:49 pm

Ayrshire Grappler wrote:

This is slick, but leaving the arm you are attacking out of control could be problematic, im gonna play with these a bit to try and find a way to lock up that arm early for the sit through..
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Thu May 10, 2018 9:50 pm

Marcus Soares isn't a big fan of all these exotic guards that are out there.....he says"Spider guard? what do you do to a spider? squash him, lol"
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu May 10, 2018 11:11 pm

Canuckster wrote:Marcus Soares isn't a big fan of all these exotic guards that are out there.....he says"Spider guard? what do you do to a spider? squash him, lol"

At the risk of disrespecting Soares, I find that attitude kind of foolish. Lots of new grapplers are achieving high levels with these new guards, they are becoming very refined and fact is they work. I know this, my club is all Cobrinha style and they play their open and spider and de la riva guards something fierce, if you don't know the game they will stretch the fuck out of you and sweep you like a crippled hobo

I would really wonder how Soares would do against someone who has a good spider guard and is trying to use it against him. The hard truth is that you don't know how to defend something that you don't understand in the first place. If guys like Soares really have not studied or played with something like a spider guard, its likely they won't know what is even being done to them or how to stop it or even see it coming.

Am I wrong? Is Soares an example of someone too old to admit things have developed way past their skills? Too stubborn to give it credit?

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Fri May 11, 2018 2:07 am

I don't think Marcus is disrespectful I think he just has his way of belief and follows it. I think anybody can develop any part of the game that they choose and become very proficient with it. People can get caught anywhere anytime with anything. Carlson Gracie team is a very successful with their style so it's hard to argue with it. But there's always going to be outliers who figure out a way around other things

Return to “Super Dojo”