Fight calendar and discussion

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Re: Fight calendar and discussion

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Rashad Evans returns to light heavyweight vs. Anthony Smith at UFC 225

By Alexander K. Lee @AlexanderKLee Mar 12, 2018

Rashad Evans is returning to the weight class where he was once a champion.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion will be back at 205 pounds when he takes on Anthony Smith at UFC 225 on June 9 at the United Center in Chicago, sources confirmed with MMA Fighting on Monday.

The bout was first reported by ESPN.

At 38, Evans (19-7-1) has been in a slump over the last few years, having lost four straight and six of his past eight. His last win came against Chael Sonnen at UFC 167 on Nov. 16, 2013. A move down to middleweight proved fruitless for Evans, who dropped back-to-back split decisions to Sam Alvey and Dan Kelly in his most recent outings.

The results have been a far cry from Evans’s peak, when he won 17 of his first 19 pro bouts including a light heavyweight championship win over Forrest Griffin back in December 2008.

Smith, 29, also recently announced that he would be making the move up to light heavyweight after spending the majority of his 41-fight career competing at 185 pounds. “Lionheart” has won three of his past four bouts and holds a 28-13 record overall. He last fought at UFC Belem in February, where he lost to Thiago Santos via second-round TKO.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/3/12/17109784/rashad-evans-returns-to-light-heavyweight-vs-anthony-smith-at-ufc-225
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:04 pm

Looks like they have run out of old guys for Rashad to fight and he has to clash claws with the young lions. He will be in a tough spot if he loses. Maybe he could go to Bellator, but even there they have Bader who would keep the title away from him.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:07 pm

Luigi wrote:Looks like they have run out of old guys for Rashad to fight and he has to clash claws with the young lions. He will be in a tough spot if he loses. Maybe he could go to Bellator, but even there they have Bader who would keep the title away from him.

- I like Rasha. Maybe he is a good coach?

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:49 am

He would make a great coach as he is very intelligent for a fighter.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:22 pm

John Lineker vs. Brian Kelleher added to UFC 224 in Brazil

By Guilherme Cruz @guicruzzz Mar 12, 2018

Ask and you shall receive.

Brian Kelleher called out John Lineker following his recent victory over Renan Barao at UFC on FOX 28, and the company has decided to book the bantamweight contest for UFC 224 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on May 12. Multiple sources confirmed the news to MMA Fighting following a report by Combate.

Lineker (30-8) returns to action after pulling out of a UFC 219 clash with Jimmie Rivera with a tooth infection. “Hands of Stone” fought for the last time in October, defeating Marlon Vera via unanimous decision. The Brazilian veteran is 5-1 since moving up to 135 pounds.

Kelleher (19-8) is riding a two-fight winning streak in the Octagon, knocking out Damian Stasiak in a “Fight of the Night” clash at UFC Gdansk and scoring a decision win over Barao. “Boom” is 3-1 under the UFC banner, with his first Octagon victory coming with a shocking first-round submission over Iuri Alcantara at Rio de Janeiro’s UFC 212 last June.

UFC 214 will be headlined by Amanda Nunes versus Raquel Pennington for the bantamweight championship.

Source: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/3/12/17111826/john-lineker-vs-brian-kelleher-added-ufc-224-brazil

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:41 am

May 12th is going to be absolute madness. UFC has Vitor vs Machida, Bellator has Bader vs King Mo, Boxing has Lomachenko going for the lineal title in his third weight class, and kickboxing has a stacked Glory card.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:34 pm

- Roman Reigns vs Brock at Wrestlemania. Hope Roman gets the title, i like Brock, but he only pops up here and there. And everyone knows the results of his matchs. Its pretty sad to see guys like Kane, Rusev and Sheamus, all great wrestlers in jobbing no competitive matches with Brock.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:56 pm

Papin pulled out of his fight with a partially torn ACL. Damn that sucks, I hope he recovers well.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:54 am

UFC was pretty cool, Volkov seems legit. I wonder how he would fare against Overeem or Ngannou. The UFC should do Overeem vs Volkov and Black Beast vs Ngannou.

Next up is the spring equinox, complete with probably the best K-1 event ever. Then on the weekend we've got some cool boxing matches.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:24 pm

Mark Henry Comments On WWE Hall Of Fame Induction, Learning To Be Humble, Facing Undertaker At Mania, How He Wants To Be Remembered

Mark Henry spoke with USA Today‘s For The Win regarding his WWE Hall Of Fame induction announcement; you can read a few highlights below:

Mark Henry comments on when he got the call about his WWE Hall Of Fame induction:

It was a little while back. I was in Los Angeles with the powers that be… it was just an overwhelming feeling, you know? My face got hot. A couple of tears fell, and you felt like, instantly, all of the pain and torment that you put your body through, the sacrifices that you made – they were worth it. It paid it all off.

Henry comments on learning to be humble:

I was having a lot of problems just from fighting and pushing people in the face…. I couldn’t handle somebody talking trash to me that I know I could whup. And the only reason they were talking like that is because it was the wrestling business, and they could get away with it.

I think one of the primary reasons for my getting it together was Owen Hart. Owen Hart said ‘listen, the only reason they’re messing with you is because you react.’ Around that time, Vince sent me to Canada to kind of learn locker room etiquette and to be away from the main talent – because everybody that messed with me, I wanted to fight. I had to learn how to exist in the locker room.

…. I spent nine months in Calgary in Canada, working at Bret Hart’s house with Leo Burke. I learned an unbelievable amount during that time period. Then I went to Louisville, Kentucky, to Ohio Valley Wrestling, for a year.

As crazy as Jimmy Cornette was, Jimmy Cornette was the most studied and taught me a lot about history and respect in the business. I appreciate him for that. Danny Davis and Rip Rogers, they were so instrumental in teaching me and getting me in the best shape I had ever been in. They were the next step. I got to Louisville and I found myself. I wish that I had that two years back and did that when I first started wrestling, but that’s not the way God had it lined up for me.

Mark Henry Explains How Owen Hart Was A Mentor To Him, Says He’d Want To Be Inducted Into The WWE Hall Of Fame With His Brother

Henry comments on where he ranks facing Undertaker at Wrestlemania:

Oh it’s in the top three. It may be No. 1. It’s a toss-up between winning the World Championship and that match, because there would be no World Championship if I didn’t have that time working against him.

I learned a lot. I learned that you have to be able to raise your game when you’re in the ring with someone that’s superior to you. And I looked at him as being superior – and I had never really had that in my life. I never thought that nobody was better than me, and I wanted to raise my game to where I didn’t feel that way. And, of course, I don’t think there will ever be anybody that’s equal to The Undertaker, including my all-time favorite Andre The Giant.

How does Henry want to be remembered?

I definitely hope they remember the strength element, but more than anything I would say remember the fact that I was not selfish. That I was able to share not only my time, but I taught the future. There’s a lot of guys in this business, you can go into that locker room right now and I guarantee you I had an influence on more than half, because I tried to. It was intentional. That is something that I hang my hat on.

…. I used my celebrity to endorse and help other people [and work with] a lot of the charities. Nobody could ever say Mark Henry said ‘no.’ Because I tried to help as many people as I could my entire career, and I was happy to do so.

Read more at http://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/ne ... DmZ984w.99

- Henry was a great pro-wrestler.
The size of a locomotive. But still able to work a match without hurting his adversary. And a master story-teller.

Return to “Super Dojo”