My Crappy Blue Belt Notebook

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Masato
Site Admin

My Crappy Blue Belt Notebook

Postby Masato » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:48 am

Hey all

So my coaches and higher-belt peers have been saying for a long time to keep a notebook or journal to write in, they say it helps the learning curve go up faster and stronger.

Been meaning to do this since forever but never did. Figure its about time.

Not sure exactly how best to structure it, but I'm just gonna basically post here after classes to mentally record what I learned or drilled etc. See how it grows and develops.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:54 am

So today I was learning 2 main things:

1. if someone is about to clear your guard, there is an option to quickly roll away and turtle instead of fight to recompose or give up side control. This supposedly prevents them from getting the points for a pass.

- cover all the holes/keep elbows tight etc so they can't put hooks in

- watch/feel if they put their knee between your legs (bear trap). You can even leave this open a bit to bait them, if they put it there grab 2 hands, roll for kneebar

- you can leave holes open to bait them to reach in, then go for kimura trap from turtle/use it for leverage to escape

2. NEW SIDE MOUNT ESCAPE!! woot! this is great as my regular escapes are getting more difficult. - sneak elbow in like you are framing the hip, but then sneak hand between chests and punch it through and away from the side mount. From here you can just keep rotating, and surprisingly it works, you can just roll up again to turtle. Again, block the hooks and work from turtle. Not the best but better than getting smeared in side control

The guy who showed this is not my main coach, just a really talented purple belt. He admits the coach wouldn't likely teach this stuff but he says he likes to teach what works for him, and I know first hand this shit works for him, lol. We drilled it and it was working for me too, looking forward to looking for these things next rolls

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:23 pm

- You can film and rewatch. But some people say thats is a horrible sensation to watch yoursefl, because when you watch you have a more broad idea and diferent time perspective of what to doo. Now on training if you are getting pound the time is slow and if youre doin good the time looks to go fast.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:26 pm

- Eduardo Telles has a entire dvd dedicated to the Turtle:

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Masato wrote:So today I was learning 2 main things:

1. if someone is about to clear your guard, there is an option to quickly roll away and turtle instead of fight to recompose or give up side control. This supposedly prevents them from getting the points for a pass.

- cover all the holes/keep elbows tight etc so they can't put hooks in

- watch/feel if they put their knee between your legs (bear trap). You can even leave this open a bit to bait them, if they put it there grab 2 hands, roll for kneebar

- you can leave holes open to bait them to reach in, then go for kimura trap from turtle/use it for leverage to escape

2. NEW SIDE MOUNT ESCAPE!! woot! this is great as my regular escapes are getting more difficult. - sneak elbow in like you are framing the hip, but then sneak hand between chests and punch it through and away from the side mount. From here you can just keep rotating, and surprisingly it works, you can just roll up again to turtle. Again, block the hooks and work from turtle. Not the best but better than getting smeared in side control

- Saw that last wwek, the guy controling the side mouth should control your head to avoid that you spinning, and you should creat a frame to allow your head to rotate if you want to spinning.

The guy who showed this is not my main coach, just a really talented purple belt. He admits the coach wouldn't likely teach this stuff but he says he likes to teach what works for him, and I know first hand this shit works for him, lol. We drilled it and it was working for me too, looking forward to looking for these things next rolls

- Its good to learn new ways of doing somethin. Even if you dont use you know how it works .

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Edge Guerrero wrote: - Saw that last wwek, the guy controling the side mouth should control your head to avoid that you spinning, and you should creat a frame to allow your head to rotate if you want to spinning.

I used to use the escape Masato is describing a lot. Usually you prep it with a bridge into the opponent, and superman the [left] arm to knock their head out of alignment or even get them to post the arm they need for the crossface. This disconnects your chests and it's when the guy comes back into you that you swing into the escape. Its definitely a time-dependent move (speed + timing).

Dean Lister and Jeff Glover have a lot of success with this escape. Jeff catches the Darce on the escape.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:07 pm

evil-kungfool wrote:
Edge Guerrero wrote: - Saw that last wwek, the guy controling the side mouth should control your head to avoid that you spinning, and you should creat a frame to allow your head to rotate if you want to spinning.

I used to use the escape Masato is describing a lot. Usually you prep it with a bridge into the opponent, and superman the [left] arm to knock their head out of alignment or even get them to post the arm they need for the crossface. This disconnects your chests and it's when the guy comes back into you that you swing into the escape. Its definitely a time-dependent move (speed + timing).

Yes. To doo the bridge the guy on bottons needs to brings his feet the closes of his own butt he can. That way he can creates the best leverage.
I cant find the same video that i watched last week for some reason. The guy shows what to doo when the oponnent hold the position real tight.

Dean Lister and Jeff Glover have a lot of success with this escape. Jeff catches the Darce on the escape.

- I think that the video i watched was Dean Lister. He did the bridge and explained that isnt always that the guy on the botton can get the over-hook, how to move the oponnent head and soo. Im traying to find now.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:10 pm

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Today I rolled with a scrapy white belt, and a seasoned brown belt. Amazing, the brown belt is just a library of knowledge.

He kind of teaches too much sometimes though, too fast my brain can't retain it all, lol I think that why this notebook idea is always recommended.

Anyways I'll just take 1 detail home today;

When you have someone's back, get a good use of the seatbelt, but then on 1 side instead of using your leg as a hook, you can also:

1. put your foot on his HIP, and use it to stretch him down or come up etc. or

2. grapevine his same-side leg from the outside, and control that leg with the hook. Use this to stop him from turning into you, massive control over his leg and knee/hips. If he rolls away you take back again, if he turns in you use the hook to control him. Switch back from there to the foot-on-hip, or back to the hook accordingly as he moves. You can also use the hook to come up higher, set up armbar etc.

good class. We laughed about how growing in jiu jitsu can be seen as becoming more and more aware of how much we suck (how much there is to learn that we don't know). As we grow, our understanding of how much more there always is to learn expands exponentially

lol kind of humbling but kind of inspiring too

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:31 pm

Man last night was one of those nights where I was like: I will never be able to remember all this', lol

But I'll try:

1. Someone is passing guard underhooking 1 of your legs. His hands are controlling your hips.
- Monitor that his arms don't climb up.
- grab the back/outside of his shoulder (the high one near your caught leg) and pull down.
- with the leg that he is underhooking, kick out and then jab your knee into his ribs-armpit, all while pulling down on that shoulder you have.
- this should give you momentary control of him/he is stuck and you can take the back (bottom leg = 1st hook)

2. If someone is passing from the same position (underhooking 1 of your legs, fall sideways and gable-grip his near leg. Hold on to this and LET HIM FINISH THE PASS - as he gets his other leg free, you swing that gable grip over your face and roll everything over including him. It doesn't end up in a very stable position, but its better than conceding the pass and you are in a much better place than your opponent for a quick dogfight for position

Return to “Super Dojo”