Masato I think you'll like this

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
johnkilo

Masato I think you'll like this

Postby johnkilo » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:15 pm

It's about a guy who is a master with a pen.

http://vimeo.com/62116940

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Hey man, been waiting to reply...

That guy is badass, that was beautiful to watch...! thx

I have a high respect for people who can do fonts/lettering really well, and it came from a good story;

I started my career as an illustrator working at a big ad agency for 3 years... and while I was hired to draw storyboards and mock-up illustrations, I was asked one day if I could do fonts. I said I would give it a shot.

They had this as an existing logo for a client:

What they needed was the word 'Chocolate' in the same font.

FUCKING HARD.

I screwed around with it all day, and while I came close, it was never really anywhere close to perfect. Such subtle little imprefctions just prevented it from really clicking, and I became lost very quickly as to how to even approach it anymore with any strategy. I confessed to the Art Director it was beyond my skill, and humbly suggested they get a font expert.

They called this dude (to my regret I forget his name...) who is a leading pro at fonts. He charged no joke like $1000 per letter for any original lettering. They gave him the gig, and in 24 hours he produced the work and it was fucking MINT. I know it because I had spent like 8 hours scrutinizing that bitch and when I saw his work it was like ' Oh shit that's perfect.'

(you can see it in the image below)

Anyways, since then when I see a really cool font I think of how good the motherfucker who designed it is.

I did however get to do some funky illustrations for the client, of which still exist online, you can check them out here: http://www.chocolatemilk.ca/

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:38 pm

johnkilo

Postby johnkilo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:22 pm

Awesome. Must be nice to get paid $1000 per letter.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:01 am

People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”