Jung's 'Active Imagination'

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
Masato
Site Admin

Jung's 'Active Imagination'

Postby Masato » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:22 pm

"Active imagination is a technique developed by the Swiss psychologist and psychiatrist Carl Jung. He considered it the most powerful tool to access the unconscious and for achieving wholeness of personality.

Jung discovered this method between the years of 1913 and 1916, a period of disorientation and intense inner turmoil which he called his confrontation with the unconscious. He searched for a method to heal himself from within, through the power of the imagination. Active imagination is a dialogue with different parts of yourself that live in the unconscious. In some way it is similar to dreaming, except that you are fully awake and conscious during the experience.

If we honestly want to find our own wholeness, to live our individual fate as fully as possible; if we truly want to abolish illusion on principle and find the truth of our own being, however little we like to be the way we are, then there is nothing that can help us so much in our endeavour as active imagination."

The video explains in detail the exercise that Jung came up with.

I sort of do this every night when I fall asleep, but not with the active deliberate intention that is described here.

Worth experimenting with?

Would anyone here consider trying it?

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:10 pm

Interesting comparison to GUIDED MEDITATIONS, which are directed by the EGO

This is the opposite, you go deep with the Ego aside, and face whatever comes whether the ego approves or not.

The theory is that no images can come that are not somehow an integral part of one's subconscious.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:15 pm

Here is the channel.

Lots of interesting vids if you dig this sort of stuff. I listened to a few the other day while working, very soothing and inspiring.

I consume too much dark political content sometimes, not good for my holistic health I think.
Gotta start finding more healthy content like this to make it through those long work shifts.

https://www.youtube.com/@Eternalised

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:16 pm

I think this Good Read Recommendation Fits well into this thread:

Originally published in 1988, Anthony Storr's enlightening meditation on the creative individual's need for solitude has become a classic.

Solitude was seminal in challenging the established belief that "interpersonal relationships of an intimate kind are the chief, if not the only, source of human happiness." Indeed, most self-help literature still places relationships at the center of human existence. Lucid and lyrical, Storr's book cites numerous examples of brilliant scholars and artists -- from Beethoven and Kant to Anne Sexton and Beatrix Potter -- to demonstrate that solitude ranks alongside relationships in its impact on an individual's well-being and productivity, as well as on society's progress and health. But solitary activity is essential not only for geniuses, says Storr; the average person, too, is enriched by spending time alone.
For fifteen years, readers have found inspiration and renewal in Storr's erudite, compassionate vision of human experience.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/120586.Solitude

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”