Joseph Campbell

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Joseph Campbell

Postby Masato » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Anyone not familiar with this man would do well to spend some time reading or listening...

He is famous for having discovered that ALL myths throughout human cultures and histories follow the same inherent traits and patterns - and what those patterns all seem to be trying to show us.

An amazing human being who brought the inner world of myth back into the living psyche of western civilization. An encyclopedic wealth of stories and knowledge from cultures and mythologies all around the world, and an interpreter of the VALUE of these myths of which our literal world has so easily misunderstood or forgotten

STAR WARS was written on the basic structure that Campbell had mapped out, and is a huge part of why it has become its own cultural myth in our psyche. I have learned a lot from this man, not only intellectually but spiritually too. I am especially fascinated with how he sees religions as full of mythological power, yet explains how our problem is to simply take them too literally, and fail to see the common truths that they are all trying to get us to.

- How myths help us to find meaning in our own lives.

"The main problem with symbols is that people tend to get lost in the symbol".

Here is a short feature about his life's work... but I highly recommend browsing other vids, you can find great lectures and talks on a variety of subjects.:

The book he is perhaps most well known for:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:28 am

Hey all

Just went through this book this week - it is an EASY read, short and light. But POTENT - wonderful stuff.

It is a transcript of a conversation, so unlike most books it has a really easy flow to read, not so heavily edited etc. Highly recommend, you can finish it in just a few hours or less:

Here are a few nice quotes (of many):

"My favourite definition of religion is; 'misunderstood mythology."

"Myths don't count if they're just hitting your rational faculties - they have to hit the heart."

"Through your own inward experience, the divine mystery is revealed."

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:29 am

another possible good doc on his work, haven't seen it yet:

http://vimeo.com/27134970

(anyone know how we embed vimeo vids here?)

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:22 pm

This is relevant to my interests. Will watch later
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

johnkilo

Postby johnkilo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:49 pm

I learned about him because of Star Wars.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”