Tribe in India Manipulates Living Tree Roots Into Bridges

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Tribe in India Manipulates Living Tree Roots Into Bridges

Postby Masato » Sun May 25, 2014 1:22 pm

Villagers in Meghalaya, India have come up with a unique construction technique that harnesses nature in its purest form – they grow their own living bridges! Using the roots of the Ficus elastica tree (rubber fig tree), the residents have woven an elaborate system of living bridges, some of which are thought to be over 500 years old. These extraordinary examples of living architecture are also lessons in patience, since they take about 15 years to grow. With age though, the living root bridges grow stronger and can often support the weight of 50 or more people at a time!

The town of Cherrapunji in the Khasi Hills is credited with the world record for annual rainfall of over 75 ft! And in this rainy, wet climate, the rubber fig tree grows with abandon. The tree has a secondary root system that grows up above the ground floor and lets the tree easily grow on top of boulders and even out in the middle of streams. Long ago, the war-Khasis, a tribe in Meghalaya region, realized they could tap into the power of these roots and use them to their own advantage. By manipulating and directing the secondary roots, they could create ultra strong living bridges with which to cross streams and rivers.

To make a tree grow in a certain direction, the tribespeople use the trunks of a betul nut tree, sliced down the middle and hollowed out, as a guidance system. The thin, tender roots of the rubber tree are placed so they grow in the direction of the tree trunk rather than fanning out. Eventually, the roots reach the other side of the river and grow into the soil. This process can take well over a decade before the bridge is fully functional and then over time the bridge grows and strengthens. Rocks are placed along the bridge’s sides to improve the footpaths.

Some of these bridges are over 100 feet long, and can even support the weight of fifty or more people at a time. These bridges are used daily by the people of the villages around Cherrapunji and a few are thought to be more than 500 years old. There is even a double decker bridge, known as the “Umshiang Double-Decker Root Bridge,” which features two bridges grown right on top of each other. It is thought to be the only bridge of its kind.

start this vid @ 1:45:

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sun May 25, 2014 2:34 pm

- This is very cool.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sun May 25, 2014 11:21 pm

Awesome find!

greenseed

Postby greenseed » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:37 pm

ewoks ain't got shit on these folks

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:47 am

^^ greenseed, I am sure you're journey has led you to a lot of soul-searching and insights...

Would be curious what got you through your accident, how you dealt with it and how you found your creativity again. You sound like a pretty positive guy but I could totally see such an accident just ruining some people and making them hateful and bitter.

Please feel free to start a thread here with any insights you may like to share, I really admire your tale bro

Return to “Anarchy Zone”