Has anyone ever done Vipassana meditation?

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
Benwahwah

Re: Has anyone ever done Vipassana meditation?

Postby Benwahwah » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:44 pm

March 13th is the date it starts.

I do 15 minute sessions at the minute. My attention span is woeful as predicted. But after each session my attention span directly after is much better. I always feel much more relaxed and at peace with myself as well.

Unfortunately I’m not allowed to have access to anything, not even a paper and pen I think. I will be meditating for 10 hours a day. I will however be doing an extensive write up as soon as I get back.

Vipassana meditation is first of all focusing on the breaths, and then focusing on parts of the body. I think that due to the length of time that you will meditate for is the reason that people can see interesting results. Apparently it can lead to an extreme sense of well-being.

Vipassana has also been introduced into prisons and apparently has had some good results. Here is a documentary I watched, I think you’ll find it intriguing.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:27 pm

Wow cool, and thanks for the documentary I am always looking for good lengthy video content for work shifts. That looks great

10 HOURS A DAY?? WTF man, that seems almost impossible to me, even for those with some practice. Is it even possible for laypeople to jump in so deep?

Will they be broken sessions 10 hours total? Can you get up and stretch/move around? Just sitting in place for more than 20 minutes can be really tough just physically speaking.

This is astounding. I really would be curious what the effects are of that sort of immersion. I only dabbled in it for a few hours a week and could already see how quickly it starts to clean/alter the mind and thoughts.

Adventure!!!

You should get a new Fedora for this, maybe an Indiana Jones style.

Benwahwah

Postby Benwahwah » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Masato wrote:Wow cool, and thanks for the documentary I am always looking for good lengthy video content for work shifts. That looks great

10 HOURS A DAY?? WTF man, that seems almost impossible to me, even for those with some practice. Is it even possible for laypeople to jump in so deep?

Will they be broken sessions 10 hours total? Can you get up and stretch/move around? Just sitting in place for more than 20 minutes can be really tough just physically speaking.

This is astounding. I really would be curious what the effects are of that sort of immersion. I only dabbled in it for a few hours a week and could already see how quickly it starts to clean/alter the mind and thoughts.

Adventure!!!

You should get a new Fedora for this, maybe an Indiana Jones style.

The sessions are broken into 1 hour lumps normally, with 5-10 minute intervals and a breakfast and a lunch thrown into the mix. But combined with the vow of silence I fully expect this to be really rough. It will hopefully be beneficial in the long run though. I’m trying to go in with an open mind and not ‘expect’ anything from it as that is what a lot of the advice is saying to do. But I have a mind that likes to plan things in advance, so I can see that, that will be very hard for me. When I go into these things I like to know what to expect.

The physical aspect is something that will be very hard as well. I’m going to try and get fitter before March, but so far all my attempts have been in vain. I just have to keep doing the best I can.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:21 pm

Expect the unexpected
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:02 pm

I remember a few times when meditation becomes difficult or impossible to maintain, I think; 'really, I'm just doing nothing here, lol. I imagine how stressed/busy life can get, or working a brutal job somewhere with 4 hours still to go and then compare, I'm just sitting here doing nothing. How hard is that? How many times in life I crave to have just a little bit of time to just sit and do nothing? And then it suddenly becomes a luxury :D

penxv

Postby penxv » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:28 am

Turn off your tv between now and then.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:33 pm

So I just visited last night with a friend who is starting the SAME RETREAT today (except here in Canada). 10 day Vipassana no-talking meditation retreat. Sounds exactly the same.

He said he did it before, this is his second time. Says it can be hard at times but totally worth it. He likens it to an acid trip in that you know it might get weird and you may feel out of control but you have to dive in and commit and have faith you will be fine. Described some days as being painful but other days pure bliss.

He also said they wake you up at 4:30am every day, lol

Was kind of cool to be with him the night before he shipped out, he was already getting in the mindset

Maybe when he's back I can coax him into coming here one day to answer questions and chat with our man Ben

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:23 pm

So I went out with my friend last night who just completed the 10-day silent Vipassana retreat

He said it was great, got more out of it this second time around. Says he learned a lot about himself, when you have so much time to 'watch your thoughts' and examine his own thought patterns and reactions etc. Says it was a bit rattling to come back to the real world again. Said there was a super cute girl there that fucked up his thoughts, lol lust is a bitch to tame from a buddhist perspective I suppose lol

I've asked him if he's up to make interviews, I could make a good one with this guy. He's building an eco house in new Bruswick off grid with some other people, gonna start a sort of mini-commune sustainable community or whatever too.

Are you still scheduled to do this retreat, Ben?

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”