The philosophical shift towards classicism and its effect on spirituality

Spirituality, Mythology, & Insightful Stuffs
Luigi

The philosophical shift towards classicism and its effect on spirituality

Postby Luigi » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:03 am

A topic I often read about is how once the renaissance hit Europe there was a much greater focus on classical civilization and thenceforth romantic reflections on the past, and during the age of enlightenment this entered the intellectual and philosophical ideas of the time. This was an important era because spirituality started to be conceptualized in ways more complex than the previous era of highly dogmatic catholicism. Basically people started thinking outside the box, and this allowed spirituality to develop in new ways. Its a topic that I often see addressed in a cursory manner but never treated in depth, so I thought I would make a thread just in case I want to add something here to accumulate info on it. The figures mentioned here are in no order, its just a free for all info depository:

Johann Gottfried Herder - known for literary criticism, classicism, new ideas about how knowledge was inbued in the souls of people, and concepts of some lifeforms being more advanced which can be viewed as proto-evolutionary theory. He was notable for taking the classicism which focused mainly on Greece and broadened it to include other civilizations, such as the early medieval Goths, who Herder recognized as having affinity with his own German-speaking society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Gottfried_Herder

Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

A very well known philosopher, he developed the concept of the geist, cognate to English ghost, which he used as an abstract concept of spirit which he saw as "the historical manifestation of the logical concept." In his worldview he equates God with geist. His view was a synthesis of Christian and ancient Greek concepts of divinity. He was concerned with the decline of folk beliefs and called for a "new myth" to fill the void.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Wil ... rich_Hegel

Friedrich Nietzsche

Another very well known philosopher, and his writings are too varied and prolific to really summarize.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Not enough love for Luigi’s posts in this subthread. This is great stuff man

Just need more time than the average forum-scan to read through & respond properly

This is really interesting. I’ve enjoyed your Scandinavian threads too even though I haven’t been posting in them

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:37 pm

Masato wrote:Not enough love for Luigi’s posts in this subthread. This is great stuff man

Just need more time than the average forum-scan to read through & respond properly

This is really interesting. I’ve enjoyed your Scandinavian threads too even though I haven’t been posting in them

- Me too! Love your threads man.
Theyre far ahead from the knowledge i was presented years ago. Love learning new things about our past!
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Enock's Sanctuary”