Desk jobs are bad for your heart and your waist

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Desk jobs are bad for your heart and your waist

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:43 pm

Date: March 1, 2017
Source:University of Warwick

Summary: A new study shows further evidence for the view that spending too much time sitting down is bad for our health and our waistline.

Research led by Dr William Tigbe, Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick found workers who have a desk-bound job have bigger waists and increased risk of heart disease. It supports advice to sit less and be more active; as much as seven hours a day on your feet, and walking seven miles, may be needed to avoid heart disease.

Dr Tigbe kitted out 111 healthy Glaswegian postal workers with activity monitors for seven days; 55 were office workers and 56 delivered post for a living. The study revealed differences between the two groups. Those who had desk jobs had a bigger waist circumference -- 97 cm compared to 94 cm -- and approximately one BMI unit difference. They also had a higher risk of cardiovascular disease -- 2.2% compared to 1.6% over ten years.

The new study suggests that waist circumference increases by two centimetres, and risk of cardiovascular diseases by 0.2%, for every additional hour of sitting on top of five hours.

Furthermore, bad cholesterol (LDL) increases and good cholesterol (HDL) decreases with each additional hour of sitting from five hours a day.

Dr Tigbe said: "Longer time spent in sedentary posture is significantly associated with larger waist circumference, higher triglycerides (fat in the blood) and lower HDL cholesterol, all adding up to worse risk of heart disease. The levels associated with zero risk factors were walking more than 15,000 steps per day, which is equivalent to walking seven to eight miles, or spending seven hours per day upright.

"Our findings could be used as the basis of new public health targets for sitting, lying, standing and stepping to avoid metabolic risks.

"However the levels suggested in our research would be very challenging to achieve unless incorporated into people's occupations."

The study participants wore a tiny physical activity and position monitor called activPAL, invented by co-authors from Glasgow Caledonian University, strapped to their thigh for seven days, except during activities that risk it being in contact with water, e.g. bathing or swimming. They also had their weight, height and blood pressure measured, and provided blood samples. Cardiovascular risks were assessed using the PROCAM risk calculator which takes into account age, sex, family history, blood pressure and metabolic measures.

The study took place between took place between September 2006 and September 2007 and volunteers were recruited from the Royal Mail in Glasgow. Only apparently healthy, non-smokers, with no personal history of myocardial infarction (heart attack), stroke, coronary heart disease, hypertension or diabetes were included. None of the participants was on any lipid, blood pressure or glucose lowering medication.

Fellow researcher Professor Mike Lean of the University of Glasgow's School of Medicine said: "In this research we have learned important information, relevant to health in modern working lives, by studying the activity patterns of postal workers, one of the last physically active occupations left in UK."

"Our evolution, to become the human species, did not equip us well to spending all day sitting down. We probably adapted to be healthiest spending seven to eight hours every day on our feet, as hunters or gatherers. "

"Our new research supports that idea. The 'bottom' line is that if you want to be sure of having no risks of heart disease, you must keep off your bottom!"

The researchers urge further study of this topic is conducted in order to inform health policy makers. Time spent in sedentary posture is associated with waist circumference and cardiovascular risk is recently been published in the International Journal of Obesity. The research was part of Dr Tigbe's PhD project.

Source https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170301130518.htm
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:39 am

Yeah no doubt

I have a desk job for 15 years, I'd be fucked if it wasn't for jiu jitsu

My hip flexor muscles shrank right down, my hips were FUCKED for a few years I had no strength in them and they wouldn't stretch back out. I was putting socks on like crippled grandpa before I was 40 lol, scary.

I totally believe those health people who keep saying 10-20 minutes a day of stretching will save you 10-20 more years of mobility in life. Why don't I do it? lol

I liked that WALL-E movie that predicted that in the future humans will evolve into these fat blobs with no strength at all

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Masato wrote:Yeah no doubt

I have a desk job for 15 years, I'd be fucked if it wasn't for jiu jitsu

My hip flexor muscles shrank right down, my hips were FUCKED for a few years I had no strength in them and they wouldn't stretch back out. I was putting socks on like crippled grandpa before I was 40 lol, scary.

I totally believe those health people who keep saying 10-20 minutes a day of stretching will save you 10-20 more years of mobility in life. Why don't I do it? lol

I liked that WALL-E movie that predicted that in the future humans will evolve into these fat blobs with no strength at all

- 20 mins isn`t enough movement. But is better than nothing. Just start using the car less, walk whatever you can.
I don`t think that the today 60 minutes martial arts training is enough. The day has 24 hours, training for only one isn`t going to cut, one of the best investments you can have is a stationary bike, do 10 or 15 min in the morning, and 10 or 15 at the evening. They say the minimum of exercises is 40 min per day. do the stationary bike even on the days you train to reach a minimum movement.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:17 pm

I didn't say 10-20 minutes exercise, I was just talking stretching

You're right though daily exercise would be key, kind of fucked up how hard that is for most people in western culture. What I don't get is why so many people go the the gym or ride stationary bikes etc. Isn't it way more appealing to find an activity that you enjoy as well?

I guess its hard in the winter time but you brasilians have no excuse, lol

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:01 pm

Masato wrote:I didn't say 10-20 minutes exercise, I was just talking stretching

You're right though daily exercise would be key, kind of fucked up how hard that is for most people in western culture. What I don't get is why so many people go the the gym or ride stationary bikes etc. Isn't it way more appealing to find an activity that you enjoy as well?

I guess its hard in the winter time but you brasilians have no excuse, lol

- I think the trainers actually thrown them there, and since the client`s don`t know any better, they spend a couple of week`s riding the stationary bike, before getting bored and quitting.

There`s a Hapikido school and one of the students is 60`s or more, i think he started a year ago, but is cool that he actually found a activity that motivates him. I see so many people walking bored of their life`s, and they could go to that school and do boxing or Hapikido. If the intention is to lose weight and they aren`t getting of walking, should go to another activity to occupy their time.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:06 pm

^ yep

There is no exercise like that of a good hustle at a sport or game or activity/martial art etc that you ENJOY. Play soccer or basketball with your friends, learn to play squash, learn a martial art, go exploring on your bike, get a membership to a climbing gym, etc. The added element of true play and recreation imo intensifies the workout and makes it more thorough.

Recreation: Re-Creation

Pedalling a bike to nowhere seems crazy to me, as does lifting weights (unless you are training for something). People make staying healthy just more work in their lives... its weird.

BJJ saved me in this way cause I'm generally pretty lazy and like I said don't go to gyms. But I pushed last night for 2 1/2 hours and felt awesome. No stationary bike can match that. I knew a guy once who lost like 100lbs in a matter of a few months coming to do MMA and no-gi classes.
Burpees, motherfuckers lol

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 pm

Powerlifting

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:43 am

Vutulaki wrote:Powerlifting

- Masato should do TRT.
Can you imagine a trt filled Masato? That dude that asked Masato to do a hena tattoo on his junk would really love, and maybe even pay more for it.

Masato wrote:Your picture posting is atrocious, What lol

I fixed em for ya
For the future, don't 'attach' photos... upload em to imgur or cubeupload or something, and use the thing

Thanks for posting. Yeah Toronto Gay Pride is really something crazy

We once took my mother-in-law to one, lol (she is in her 70's, 100% brasilian oldschool). We got off at the College Subway station, and AS SOON AS WE EXIT THHE station, there is a fully nude man walking right towards us, lolol. After that nothing shocked her :D

Also worked at a Pride Day once doing Henna tattoos. Was fun but these 2 guys wanted me to tattoo their cocks (not kidding). I refused and they made a stink. When they learned I was not gay they just about fuckin lynched me for being straight and trying to make money off their party lol

http://www.masatotoysforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3722&p=34978&hilit=henna#p34978

Return to “Anarchy Zone”