'This is a Good Book' thread

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
Masato
Site Admin

'This is a Good Book' thread

Postby Masato » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:12 am

I'll start.

The wife gets me to read this for her sometimes at nights in exchange for sex, lol. We just finished it last night.

It is really great. A lot of life/spiritual advice books are hard to swallow because they are written by extraordinary monks etc who have no idea what real life for the average modern person is like, so the wisdom is difficult to fit into the actual realities of our lives.

But this author seems to know what 'real' life is like all too well, and adapts his teachings accordingly.

It is very simple, nothing too extreme or fantastical... just simple advice for how to be strong/good/brave in life, whatever kind of challenges we are faced with. Says its all about tapping into our 'basic goodness'... and that once we can find this in ourselves, it opens up a limitless 'mirror' of awareness and connectivity to the world from which we can draw on for courage and strength. Talks about the simple things we can do, the right attitudes to face our challenges, face our fears, be gentle with others etc etc

It is a sort of paradox, as he refers to this as the path of the 'warrior', yet such a warrior is actually a really good, patient, and compassionate individual. The warrior does not fight wars among others, it refers to the warrior attitude we can take in order to help us face the tests that can make us better people. Like a Tibetan 'Rocky, lol

- Simply written, short chapters, not too long-winded or pompous.

Good, short, raw pieces of practical and inspiring advice. I dug it.

Now what am I gonna do to score more sex?
:D

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:25 pm

Read what?

*edit, didn't see the pic earlier
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:19 pm

- This is the book that started a genre and a is all time great.

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

What

Postby What » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:52 pm

Image Anam Cara by John O'Donohue

This book struck home with my 1/4 Irish blood.....

In the Celtic tradition, there is a beautiful understanding of love and friendship. One of the fascinating ideas here is the idea of soul-love; the old Gaelic term for this is anam cara. Anam is the Gaelic word for soul and cara is the word for friend. So anam cara in the Celtic world was the “soul friend.” In the early Celtic church, a person who acted as a teacher, companion, or spiritual guide was called an anam cara. It originally referred to someone to whom you confessed, revealing the hidden intimacies of your life. With the anam cara you could share your inner-most self, your mind and your heart. This friendship was an act of recognition and belonging. When you had an anam cara, your friendship cut across all convention, morality, and category. You were joined in an ancient and eternal way with the “friend of your soul.” The Celtic understanding did not set limitations of space or time on the soul. There is no cage for the soul. The soul is a divine light that flows into you and into your Other. This art of belonging awakened and fostered a deep and special companionship.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:19 am

What wrote:Image Anam Cara by John O'Donohue

This book struck home with my 1/4 Irish blood.....

In the Celtic tradition, there is a beautiful understanding of love and friendship. One of the fascinating ideas here is the idea of soul-love; the old Gaelic term for this is anam cara. Anam is the Gaelic word for soul and cara is the word for friend. So anam cara in the Celtic world was the “soul friend.” In the early Celtic church, a person who acted as a teacher, companion, or spiritual guide was called an anam cara. It originally referred to someone to whom you confessed, revealing the hidden intimacies of your life. With the anam cara you could share your inner-most self, your mind and your heart. This friendship was an act of recognition and belonging. When you had an anam cara, your friendship cut across all convention, morality, and category. You were joined in an ancient and eternal way with the “friend of your soul.” The Celtic understanding did not set limitations of space or time on the soul. There is no cage for the soul. The soul is a divine light that flows into you and into your Other. This art of belonging awakened and fostered a deep and special companionship.

this looks good, im going to have to try and pick it up.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:39 pm

good post, What.

Does an Anam Cara necessarily have to be a mate/spouse/romantic connection?

Or could it be anyone? Do you think you may have encountered such a person in your life? I have always found it weird how & why certain people we meet can resonate at extremely high levels even before any shared memorable experiences have occurred.

Does the book offer any sort of previous life scenarios as a possible explanation for these Anam Caras?

What

Postby What » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:04 pm

Masato wrote:good post, What.

Does an Anam Cara necessarily have to be a mate/spouse/romantic connection?

Or could it be anyone? Do you think you may have encountered such a person in your life? I have always found it weird how & why certain people we meet can resonate at extremely high levels even before any shared memorable experiences have occurred.

Does the book offer any sort of previous life scenarios as a possible explanation for these Anam Caras?

We should always pay attention to our own intuition and I think that lies between our heart, head and loins, or as some consider our chakras.

there are no limitations or labels to true love, just the fluid art of having a fully open and connected relationship and the story the experience produces.

what life is about... sharing, being reciprocal and a free resonance of story and understanding, no labels or boundaries can conceal or confide true love, it just radiates

the book is something special, I would highly recommend it, its one of my "top hole" reads for life and how to look at it

sad the author passed in 2008 but left a legacy of literal Gaelic etymology . Hes a priest as well as a poet and philosopher, a scholar in the Gaelic theology/mythology.

What

Postby What » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:12 pm

oh Masato I do have friends who I know beyond our years and yes, I do often realize there does feel is a further understanding with some, even in a very short time a recognition of others as being profoundly familiar

My grandmother always told me, " the best isn't for everyone". It has so many meanings because i get it now, its about perception

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:07 pm

- John Carter of Mars

- THe next book is from a brazilian autor, and is a very nice read, reading only the resume look`s like i jumped back 15 years, it`s tell the history of a boy that falls in love with a girl and makes a pact with the devil when he loses he loved one.

Muito além das estrelas (Beyond the stars)
Álvaro Cardoso Gomes

Great read.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Shinkicker

Postby Shinkicker » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Masato wrote:I'll start.

The wife gets me to read this for her sometimes at nights in exchange for sex, lol. We just finished it last night.

It is really great. A lot of life/spiritual advice books are hard to swallow because they are written by extraordinary monks etc who have no idea what real life for the average modern person is like, so the wisdom is difficult to fit into the actual realities of our lives.

But this author seems to know what 'real' life is like all too well, and adapts his teachings accordingly.

It is very simple, nothing too extreme or fantastical... just simple advice for how to be strong/good/brave in life, whatever kind of challenges we are faced with. Says its all about tapping into our 'basic goodness'... and that once we can find this in ourselves, it opens up a limitless 'mirror' of awareness and connectivity to the world from which we can draw on for courage and strength. Talks about the simple things we can do, the right attitudes to face our challenges, face our fears, be gentle with others etc etc

It is a sort of paradox, as he refers to this as the path of the 'warrior', yet such a warrior is actually a really good, patient, and compassionate individual. The warrior does not fight wars among others, it refers to the warrior attitude we can take in order to help us face the tests that can make us better people. Like a Tibetan 'Rocky, lol

- Simply written, short chapters, not too long-winded or pompous.

Good, short, raw pieces of practical and inspiring advice. I dug it.

Now what am I gonna do to score more sex?
:D

https://www.google.com/search?q=masteri ... sG9C364cUM:

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”