'Right Things To Do' LISTS

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

'Right Things To Do' LISTS

Postby Masato » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:04 pm

Hey all

We often know what we SHOULD be doing when we have the time, but strangely the most important things always seem to lie just outside our comfort zone. We delay them, make excuses, are afraid of them, etc etc.

Coming back from a vacation I feel suddenly inspired to try to improve in this area. I even did some sketching while on vacation, something I NEVER do (though I always bring a pad/pencils everytime, lol) I have been scared of sketching for years, always darkly aware of my own limitations as an illustrator and afraid to face the realities of what will come out when I actually put pencil to paper.

But this time I actually made it over that initial hump, even fought well through the first bunch of drawings that were really crappy. After that I was sudden;t kind of hooked, I wanted to sketch all the time and started seeing all the areas I was weak as challenges rather than limits. I was pumped to go study and practice, I wanna get better now.

SO...

I made a list right next to my computer of all the things that I SHOULD be doing that I know are important to me that I wish most to see progress in or complete before I'm dead.

The idea is to put a check-mark every time I spend 30 mins-1 hr on any of them. I will see which areas are lacking in check marks, which ones I am avoiding etc.
The idea is to get AT LEAST 1 check-mark per day, every day.

SCRIPT - I've finished my screenplay trilogies but part 3 especially needs much tightening/editing. This can be exhausting but also exciting. Need to move forward with this

CONCEPT ART - making some paintings to go with the scripts so I can one day have a stronger pitching presentation to try to shop it around. This is also something I dread doing but will obviously be thrilled to see done.

WEBSITE - Am building a new professional website (not Masato Toys, my professional name). Need to work on portfolio selections etc

DOG COMIC - a graphic novel I have written, outlined and done the roughs for about 25% of it. A hige project but also something I'd like to complete one day. Learning what a shame it is to have good projects go uncompleted... I am learning that finishing work is a really important thing for artists to start getting used to, as by nature we tend to procrastinate and let things flow/go

SKETCH/STUDY - I really want to get better at drawing. I cheat a lot for my job, use a lot of photo-tracing etc to make up for my own limitations. I suck at faces etc, but have some books sitting right here I could go through and copy/study that would do me great.

CLASS CURRCULUM - I teach a 'Drawing for Comics' class every Saturday morning, and my students are getting better. I need to be on my toes to come up with quality lesson plans each week. I used to just wing it and make it up the night before but I think some more work preparing would be good.

MARKETING - (for my professional name, not so much for MT) - I suck at this. I need to register + start putting my stuff up on Instagram/Behance and social media, paying more attention to LinkedIn etc, posting regular work on facebook etc. Reaching out to clients etc. Another thing I avoid but will feel good if I do

JIU JITSU - this is obvious. - Or I will never get that damn blue belt, lol

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:04 pm

MAKE YOUR LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do the right thing.... don't waste (too much) time.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Speaking of jiu jitsu, we have the keys for the space in town, should have it matted soon, will let you know. I'll have you tapping that whole gym out in no time :)
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:18 am

^ Great! would love to.

I went back to the mats last night for the first time in almost 2 weeks. I was nervous as I've been on vacation etc but I went light and did 2.5 hours pretty easily. I think whatever weight I gained sitting around and eating I probably lost simultaneously by sweating so fucking much all day in the heat, lol

let me know when, I'll try to come out.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:08 am

Last night was hot as fuck, I think I sweat out a ton too
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:10 am

- Start training boxing. I can train kicks, but i get tired throwing 10 punches in the air.
Get better at Olympic lifting.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Anarchy Zone”