Bromances may be good for men's health

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Bromances may be good for men's health

Postby Edge Guerrero » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:38 am

Moderate stress encourages male bonding, and prosocial behavior makes them more resilient to stress

Date: March 3, 2016
Source: University of California - Berkeley

Summary: A new study of the effects of stress on social behavior in male rats finds that moderate stress makes them more prosocial, raising oxytocin levels that are known to encourage bonding, which in turn leads to resilience in the face of stress and better health. Life-threatening stress, however, makes male rats avoid socializing and lowers oxytocin levels, akin to the effects of PTSD, leading to a spiraling decrease in bonding and resilience to stress.

A new study looked at male rats housed in the same cage, and demonstrated that mild stress can actually make male rats more social and cooperative than they are in an unstressed environment, much as humans come together after non-life-threatening events such as a national tragedy. After a mild stress, the rats showed increased brain levels of oxytocin and its receptor and huddled and touched more. (stock photo)
Credit: © jagodka / Fotolia

Male friendships, portrayed and often winked at in bromance movies, could have healthful effects similar to those seen in romantic relationships, especially when dealing with stress, according to a new study of male rats by researchers at the University of California, Berkeley.

Human studies show that social interactions increase the level of the hormone oxytocin in the brain, and that oxytocin helps people bond and socialize more, increasing their resilience in the face of stress and leading to longer, healthier lives. Studies of male-female rat pairs and other rodents, such as monogamous prairie voles, confirm these findings.

The new study extends these studies to male rats housed in the same cage, and demonstrates that mild stress can actually make male rats more social and cooperative than they are in an unstressed environment, much as humans come together after non-life-threatening events such as a national tragedy. After a mild stress, the rats showed increased brain levels of oxytocin and its receptor and huddled and touched more.

"A bromance can be a good thing," said lead author Elizabeth Kirby, who started work on the study while a doctoral student at UC Berkeley and continued it after assuming a postdoctoral fellowship at Stanford. "Males are getting a bad rap when you look at animal models of social interactions, because they are assumed to be instinctively aggressive. But even rats can have a good cuddle -- essentially a male-male bromance -- to help recover from a bad day."

"Having friends is not un-masculine," she added. "These rats are using their rat friendships to recover from what would otherwise be a negative experience. If rats can do it, men can do it too. And they definitely are, they just don't get as much credit in the research for that."

To read the rest http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160303145918.htm

let's say take a break from our day
and gettin back to the old garage
because life's too short anyway
but at least it's better than average
as long as you got me
and i got you
you know we got a lot to go around
i'll be your friend
your other brother
another love to come and comfort you
and i'll keep reminding
if it's the only thing i ever do
i will always love you

- No romo of course.

- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Anarchy Zone”