Giving much thought to my father today.

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
Som-Pong

Giving much thought to my father today.

Postby Som-Pong » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:04 pm

I am very happy about the circumstances I was born in. Songkran coincides with my fathers birth and death. Anyways Bless your dead and living.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:00 pm

he was born and died around the same time?

That's interesting, I wonder about this sometimes

My wife is currently reading 'The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying'... very cool, I was gonna post some quotes in the Sanctuary

we don't give enough thought to death/the dead/our own mortality

Peace be with him, Som - enjoy the festivities

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:03 pm

May my ancestors be blessed. I hope that the deeds of my life can sufficiently honour them.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:54 am

Very good Masato. Please post quotes. Always inspiring.
Death and our dead should be on our mind every day. I find the Thais have much more decorum in dealing with it than most Westerners these days. I find that a lot of people try to make others deaths about themselves.
My father was born on April 12 and died on April 14 only 56 years later. I feel that he focused too much on pleasing others and that it lead to an early grave. I'm swinging the other way and will probably end up dying young but for other reasons.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:53 pm

Was talking about the book with the missus last night...

She said while so far it is very interesting (only a few chapters in, basically saying we in the west tend to mentally avoid the topic of dying, so in the author's opinion we are vastly unprepared)... but she couldn't help but notice that the tone of the first chapters seem to be almost negatively viewing life!

The book ridicules us in the west for running around staying busy busy busy not focusing on how mortality puts it all in perspective. This may be true but the author keeps saying how 'empty' these lives are, and she took a bit of offense to it.

Certainly these lives are not all 'empty' or wasted! How many of us trapped in the western pace also have love for life, and experience real joys and wonder still...

While the monks spend their entire lives exploring the nature of mind, could it not be turned to say that in their obsession with death, they reversely miss out on life!

she so smrt

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:48 pm

Our busy lives are awesome in the sense that society is productive as fuck because of it, but it does make our lives empty compared to the lives of an ascetic or even just a farmboy who doesnt live in a state on constant mental stress. The years fly by, but they didnt before we were working 9-5 or studying our asses off in competitive schools.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:48 am

Feel free to move it Masato.

I believe what is important is that people are presented the choice of leading a spiritual life. This is one reason I think everyone should try out being a monk (the sect matters little) in their life. Most people in the are already STUCK in the race by 15 and that's messed up.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:06 pm

- Memories are the most valuable thing we have.
THey are soo important that we keep material thing like a way to remind us of the good things that happened to us.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:23 pm

^ I feel personally very different.

My memory is shite and I like it that way. Keeps me more rooted in the present. Whatever is good from memory or the past is part of what you are right now!

I feel like I literally have a 'Trash' in my mind like on a computer, and I dump shit there and delete as often as I can lol

Too much memory prevents us from changing or any sort of metamorphosis. Also makes dying so much scarier, all the things you must leave behind. If you are OK with the change and let yourself dive in, the less baggage the better

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:07 pm

That's a very zen approach to living in the moment.

One simply has to stop worrying about the bullshit, I wish I learned this lesson much younger.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”