'The Legend of Sonnen's War' - Full MMA Graphic Novel

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Daglord

'The Legend of Sonnen's War' - Full MMA Graphic Novel

Postby Daglord » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:53 am

had to stop halfway through to LOLOLOL @ rickson & fedor's demands, sakuraba....

awesome man, just... awesome. speechless. amazing work.

going to send a few people this way to check it out.

Winnson

Postby Winnson » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 pm

The attention to detail man! I just looked at it again and am completely blown away.

Oh, and apparently Chael is going to work with the NSAC to help them prevent PEDs in MMA.

What a wonderful and crazy world we live in! Thank you for bringing that to life in the most awesome of ways!

This thing is an Opus!

sheetsMMAfan

Postby sheetsMMAfan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:20 pm

Absolutely brilliant, from beginning to end. Good job man, this should be much bigger than it is!

fungi

Postby fungi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:19 pm

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:34 pm

fungi - your shoops are totally the same level of quality... this is just a matter of volume.

If you were inspired to take a similar challenge and put in the hours I have no doubt you would make something spectacular

Your MMAnimals was fucking mint, lol

Empty Emp

Postby Empty Emp » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:02 pm

That's inspiring. Great job wrapping things up! It must feel good to get to unleash this baby on the world. Thanks and congratulations man!

The action figures are awesome too!

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:33 pm

Edge Guerrero wrote:- How mnaay hours you spend findind the exate facial expressions to go with the story?
Or do you create them?
If so, how you do that?

Yeah, image-searching is the most boring part of the process... Sometimes I got lucky and found what I needed right away, other times I will search for WAY too long and just can't find what I'm looking for.

I had to scrap a few good scenes and re-write a bit of the story because I just couldn't find the material

Sometimes I will alter a face (move the eyes, add a frown, etc) but not too much. If you look closely most of the characters are the weakest part of the whole thing. The bodies are a joke, almost 99% of them are the same fucking body, just shifting arms around lol... but if I really tried to make every pose shooped well with good hands etc it would have taken me 5x as long to complete.

I tried to compensate by making the backgrounds and composition more visually appealing. I slowly learned where I could cut corners, and what bad-shoops were acceptable. There are only a few that I wish I wasn't so lazy for, but fuck it lol

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:34 pm

PS: There's a 'Where's Waldo' in it for anyone who likes that sort of stuff lol

He IS in there somewhere - a million points for the mofo who finds him!! :)

Empty Emp

Postby Empty Emp » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:00 am

Have you linked this anywhere else yet. It doesn't seem like it's getting as much attention as it should be getting.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:57 am

^ dude its fucking DEAD, lol - I haven't seen it anywhere. (granted I haven't really put much effort into promoting it - I don't like doing that, I prefer to have things gain steam on their own merit)

A friend started a thread about EP 8 on the UG... it got 1 troll-reply and then got buried. I sent it to a few MMA sites I thought would be relevant, but no one posted or replied. My contact @ MiddleEasy who was very supportive for Eps 1-7 is no longer there (new crew ignored it too)

I'm also not really comfortable posting on Sherdog anymore, the vibe there is changed a lot for me. Chuck is kinda leading the energy there (and doing a great job I must say), but him turning on me makes me really uncomfortable to come around... Just not really my home anymore, but I guess I can only blame myself for leaving in the first place. Was gonna post it but just not feeling it. I posted the 'Art of...' but not the comic, I think I'll leave it at that

-You guys are rockin it though (3D shoops!! :shock: ) and am happy to have been a part of building that subculture/community in the time I was there

REALLY hoped it would liven up this forum too, but in truth it has actually gotten SLOWER since its release..!

I am used to this though, I went through it after every episode, getting excited to release it and then watching it tank lol

I really thought MMA fans would like it but maybe its just too narrow of a market, I don't know. (tl;dr?)

Kinda deflated/confused, but all in all I am still very happy/proud that I made it and am looking forward to moving on. I am all about planting/nurturing seeds, maybe time will tell

Return to “Super Dojo”