Starting online teaching

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Starting online teaching

Postby Masato » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:00 pm

So I just put up registration links at my wife's studio to teach online drawing classes.

Very nervous as I've never taught online before ( but have taught IRL for a super long time), and also not very quick with tech/Zoom etc

But I've been thinking about this for a while now, and because of covid the missus is suddenly motivated to expand her business, and watching her has kind of been that kick in the ass to finally get it going. Plus I need to expand my revenue streams as well I think. Eventually, I've seen examples where if you get enough hits and put together some quality finalized online courses, there are tons of place to post them and you can start getting that passive income. People keep paying for courses you already made/recorded, possibly indefinitely if you can keep interest up.

These classes will be live, but I think if it goes well I might try to move in that direction. If I start to figure out how to do it well I know I can put together a more high-grade masterclass of sorts for my specific career skills. Those can charge more, I would target budding professionals instead of kids.

Anyways, another thing I've been scared to do for a while but doing it. Feels good.

wish me luck!

These are the 6 classes I'm offering to start with.
We'll see haw many register, I have a pretty big student list but who knows how many would like to do classes online.

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:08 am

may i suggest the possibility of several camera with overlays on your stream...will make what youre doing nice and accessible.
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:47 pm

Canuckster wrote:may i suggest the possibility of several camera with overlays on your stream...will make what youre doing nice and accessible.

What do you mean? I draw digitally, my plan was to just do a screen share/no cameras

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:46 am

You can create a setup where you can see what your hands are doing on one cam and another cam on our face or whatever overlaid on top of the main video or whatever you think the students need to see,
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:23 pm

Canuckster wrote:You can create a setup where you can see what your hands are doing on one cam and another cam on our face or whatever overlaid on top of the main video or whatever you think the students need to see,

I'll play with it.
When I draw digitally there are no hands, all they will see is my cursor/brush

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:06 pm

Just taught my first class. Went great!

I'm teaching at 2 different places now, next class is Tuesday for a private school in Toronto. This morning was a beginner class, Tuesday will be more advanced.

I think I could get to like this.

Return to “Anarchy Zone”