Personal/Ethical Shoop Question(S)

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Personal/Ethical Shoop Question(S)

Postby Masato » Fri May 02, 2014 4:54 pm

Hey all

So for a long time I've been trying to create a way to do more personally meaningful creative work as a career instead of the soul-sucking advertising work I've been doing for the past 14 years (which pays well, but is slowly killing me creatively).

Recently, someone contacted me(Masato Toys) from a popular website loaded with all kinds of pop-culture funny content. He offered to build a possible relationship asking me to do shoops for pay whenever ideas come up that they think I'd be good for. Offered me $500 for 6 relatively easy shoops.

At first I was thrilled, this is exactly what I've been waiting for. Now I can start building a name outside MMA and maybe start a new kind of career!

Except the idea he pitched is really kind of tasteless, and imo somewhat racist. Yes it will get tons of hits (his admitted goal), and will likely go viral and get all kinds of attention. Yes it will be funny in a kind of stupid and meaningless way.

But on the other hand, it's only funny in a kind of stupid and meaningless..! - I know my MMA work is also mostly stupid and meaningless, but its because I love MMA and am passionate about those stupid and meaningless things, lol. But my goal has always been that if I am to expand beyond MMA, I would want to do things that are more thought-provoking, some integrity and meaning behind them.

Should I take the gig as a way to get my feet wet?

Its so lame I wouldn't even want to put it in my portfolio, its just not really my style at all... Of course I could make it funny if you like that kind of stuff, but its not really an idea I would be proud of. Illustrating empty ideas from other people is exactly what I want to get away from one day!

I have an idea for a way I could twist his concept into something much cooler, but it's not what he asked for and it is likely too deep/intellectual for the kind of content he is selling.

What do I do? I don't like to close doors or pass up opportunities, but at the same time I find much long-term value in staying true to one's self and putting integrity first. This being my first offered paid-shooping gig for me sort of defines the start of a potential new career. Am I on the road to selling my soul, or can I laugh at this one day, saying I remember my first gig was a tasteless pop-culture joke someone asked me to do?

I grapple with this stuff, all insights/opinions appreciated.

thanks!

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri May 02, 2014 6:10 pm

Update:

"Hi [name of dude],

Thanks, I appreciate your understanding and honesty.

I am very excited to step into a bigger creative world, but after some thought/brainstorming this particular idea is really just not my taste/style. I agree 100% it will be very funny and get tons of hits/shares, but right now I'm looking more for personal satisfaction and creative enjoyment. If we could do: [pitched my idea here] I might be interested... there are just more ideas to play with there - but the [reference to original idea] thing I am just not getting lol.

So thanks again for your honesty - if another idea comes up I will always be happy to hear from you.

If you would likewise be interested in my own ideas from time to time, let me know and I can pitch em to you as they come. And for all the same reasons, you will obviously be free to turn them down if they don't fit what you're looking for. Sometimes we might match, sometimes we won't. Hopefully when we match we make gold.

Is that cool?

Best wishes, really impressed with all your sites, keep going!

Sincerely,

-Masato

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Sat May 03, 2014 1:20 am

Ah Masato, I am a man of principle, but I am also an opportunist! If something undesirable can give you a chance to do what you want tenfold, I consider it justified. However I also support you decision and admire your resolve.

Joe Mama

Postby Joe Mama » Sat May 03, 2014 7:32 am

Thats a tough call man... Im kind of the same way with my voice work - its a passion long before its a paycheck. If you are looking to do exclusively your 'own thing' then it sounds like you are on the right path.

I liked your follow up to him respectfully declining and offering alternatives (he solicited YOU)
Another thing to consider when you do take the plunge - dont be afraid to make sure that you are 'charging' what your work is worth. Never undersell yourself as it can set a precedent with the client in the future. (Or even future work)

fungi

Postby fungi » Sat May 03, 2014 8:49 am

Wow! Touch call!

Thing is, "stupid-shallow-offensive" stuff is commercial. Creative, original, intelligent stuff is much harder to "sell".
I'm not saying it's impossible,it's just harder.

Well, I've been told recently by some wise dude, something like this: "whatever we do will lead us to our path". So, Masato, go either way, and see how it works out. Good luck!

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sat May 03, 2014 9:03 am

wow! so impressed by everyone's replies... such cool intelligent minds here!

I think you are all correct.

Makes me think how easy it is for people who hit big business in ANY field to be corrupted or stray from their personal truths...

How many of these small sacrifices can one make before it becomes easy and he can't find his way back? I feel much compassion for people who jumped at a big opportunity and then realized afterward that they made a mistake. (not comparing my situation to this, but it is sort of a micro-reflection of larger choices one is likely to face as any endeavour starts to grow).

I feel a big distinction between creativity for work and creativity for its own sake. If we find something that makes us happy we need to consider that sacred. If we see a goal in our minds horizon, we must be very careful not to lose sight of it.

We are all so easily broken/corrupted! be vigilant my friends!

fungi

Postby fungi » Sat May 03, 2014 9:08 am

^ word.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue May 06, 2014 10:37 am

UPDATE:

The universe is testing me, lol

Just got approached by these guys to do an info-comic book for them:

http://www.dricapital.com/

Could be a big gig, but goddamn if I have trouble with pharmaceutical companies and their ethics lol

Joe Mama

Postby Joe Mama » Tue May 06, 2014 12:11 pm

Masato wrote:UPDATE:

The universe is testing me, lol

Just got approached by these guys to do an info-comic book for them:

http://www.dricapital.com/

Could be a big gig, but goddamn if I have trouble with pharmaceutical companies and their ethics lol

Sounds like a win win. Draft up a script to go along with it and I will narrate it LOL.

But yeah, big pharma....

fungi

Postby fungi » Tue May 06, 2014 3:28 pm

Big pharma is big evil.

It could be a BIG gig though...

Return to “Anarchy Zone”