Found a good WWII Anime

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Found a good WWII Anime

Postby Masato » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:15 pm

Hey all

So I scope out anime movies sometimes to see what's out there. Found a gem, its on Netflix:

Its set during WWII in a small town near Nagasaki. I am sure it is based on someone's diary or something, because there is no great tale of action and adventure, its just a simple tale of a family and characters living through these times. It comes off as deeply authentic, all the little details could have only been written so genuinely by someone who was actually there.

It looks simple but I was impressed.

Also I find it rare to see many WWII films where the Allies are seen as the opposing side.

shankara

Postby shankara » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:16 pm

"Grave Of The Fireflies" is a nice (intense) Japan WWII story.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:05 pm

shankara wrote:"Grave Of The Fireflies" is a nice (intense) Japan WWII story.

Agreed. Fireflies is way darker though, if you don't mind a spoiler, Corner of the World ends on a relatively high note. Fireflies was great but so, so sad. As I suppose any WWII film from a Japanese perspective should be.

The Wind Rises was another one set in the same time period, also very maturely done imo:

I find post WWII Japanese content in films or public consciousness to be interesting. For sure it rocked the cultural/collective unconscious of the whole people. Some say Godzilla was a psychological transferring of the fear into something removed from reality, but I don't know about that.

I've heard it argued however that there was a massive push after the war via entertainment and propaganda to make sure that resentment or vengeful sentiment does not rise. I've also heard it argued that the topic is even largely ignored, forgotten, or even censored, but every once in a while we see some films like this come out and dare to address it.

I have seen none yet so far that deliberately portray any allied powers as outright villains... Even in Grave of the Fireflies the enemy is mostly faceless/nameless if I remember correctly

There was one line in The Wind Rises where characters are discussing what life would be like depending on who wins the war, and an intelligent chap answers; "Do you want to live in a world of pyramids?" -That always rang with me. Miyazaki I think was pretty woke.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:33 am

Best WW2 anime imo:

Return to “Anarchy Zone”