My 1st 'Inktober'

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

Re: My 1st 'Inktober'

Postby Masato » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:42 pm

#22 went back to that list, the assignment was: 'The Monkey King'

I freestyled this with no reference, though for sure it would look way cooler with proper reference/study:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:45 pm

#23, went to the inspiration list again, the assignment was 'The River People'... I was gonna do something pretty but my daughter gave the idea of little fat round floating people lol so I tried to do that.

I screwed something up mid-ink though, and tried to compensate without proper planning so the legs of the main guy got all fucked up, lol Like I said I am learning lots about the value of planning/reference/taking the time to do something vs rushing things. Everything so far has been rushed, all my Inktobers have been taking apprx 1 hour. Kind of cool though just to see what I can get done in 1 hour

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:46 pm

#24 (two ideas from the list): Grandmother and the Elven Princess

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:01 pm

So there was this girl at lifedrawing last night working with a light flesh-toned marker, and black ink pens. Fantastic approach, really great. She would sketch in the basic form and shadow groups with the marker, then go in and define some edges and dark areas with the pen.

I wanted to give it a try for today's Inktober, I liked a lot I think I might do it next week @ lifedrawing

The last one turned out really well I think:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:05 pm

I did finish the Inktobers btw :D

Just too lazy/busy to send the pics to my computer, prep them for embedding etc.

I will admit I missed a few days but always doubled up for the next day. The last bunch were all very rushed but at least I did em. In total I have well over 31 pages of ink work, the most I've done maybe my entire previous existence. Learned lots.

Doing a drawing a day, at least for me, is hard. But I am definitely motivated to keep pushing myself to do as often as I can. Won't be inks every day, but will definitely keep it in the mix, I still see amazing inks from other artists and would absolutely love to get better at it.

I'll post the rest of em maybe next week. They're not that great but at least it'll complete the posts

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:10 pm

Here are the rest of my Inktobers
(some my own, some studies of other works or images)

- I did it! lol

All of these were rushed. I think honestly the most important thing I learned through this whole process was the TIME it takes to do good drawings and inks.

The speed I do my career work at is ridiculously fast, that's why they are so crappy and I use so many shortcuts. Making good refined illustrations is a completely different process, I have to learn slow down. I read a good interview today with a comic artist that said the same thing; he likes fast sketches and storyboards, but recognizes that to make a finished piece takes way longer, time to draw, re-draw, re-draw again, study reference, refine it etc...

I have never done this I think ever. I have made a goal to keep working and learning in this direction

I bought some materials for lifedrawing yesterday and am pumped to go (class tonight) but I have a truckload of work this week, I'm not sure if I can make it :(

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:45 pm

went lifedrawing last night, but showed up and realized I had no wallet/money. Drove all the way back home to look for it, couldn't find it... thought maybe I dropped it on the street so I drove all the way back, and there it was on the floor of my car the whole time.

Was over 1 hour late but went anyways. Sort of succeeded but not how I wanted to. Most poses I wasn't fast enough to get anywhere, my confidence is still low with the inks I need to dive in better.

Anyways here are some of the better ones:

Canuckster

Postby Canuckster » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:12 am

So what's it cost to stare at naked chick's and draw them?
People say they all want the truth, but when they are confronted with a truth that disagrees with them, they balk at it as if it were an unwanted zombie apocalypse come to destroy civilization.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:23 am

^ 10 bucks for 3 hours. Guy has wine there to drink too no extra charge :D

pretty good deal

greenseed

Postby greenseed » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:24 am

these are sick dude... my step sis is a profesh artist too. shes done some ink stuff recently. here's her 'gram(as the kids say)
https://www.instagram.com/adriennedraws/

Return to “Anarchy Zone”