1st Sketches from a new comic I'm gonna make

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
Masato
Site Admin

1st Sketches from a new comic I'm gonna make

Postby Masato » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:20 am

Hey all

So I've had this story planned out for a few years I always thought would make a great comic/graphic novel... but was always too intimidated to actually undertake the project for the sheer amount of work.

However I am recently inspired and finally cracked the project open.

Right now I'm looking for a style I can draw it in that will be fast and efficient. Also, its about street dogs so I'm having to learn how to draw dogs, which is not something I'm used to.

Specifically, its about street dogs in Brasil, and I'm realizing that the breeds I am used to seeing in Canada and on cartoons etc is not really reflective of Brazilian street breeds. I'll have to dig up some photo albums to study again wtf those dogs looked like.

Anyways here are the first 2 pages of the project. I'll keep updating as I find the time to continue (which is hard... F7ers have me buried in a crazy video game)

PS: sorry for the crappy images, I don't have a scanner, used: facetime/unsteady hand/screencapture

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:22 am

^^ the dog in the upper left in the second image is not mine, it is copied from some Disney drawing I think (good to study, those old Disney animators could draw dogs like no one else)

sheetsMMAfan

Postby sheetsMMAfan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:37 am

I broke out my sketch pad last night. Last pictures were dragons from 2003 I had drawn....

Sketched the face for the lead character in my upcoming animations. I forgot how hard it was to come up with a style, and fit that style together and actually produce something. Holy hell. My eraser got a work out, thats for sure...

I went with something easy, as animating for the first time might be hard with complex art. I went with a mixture of the Nickelodeon show "Doug", and a few disney sketches I saw.

Will probably sketch 3-4 characters before I really start animating. Am super stoked to produce something that will make people laugh, and something I can stream to my TV that is personalized for my daughter.

Good luck with this Masato! I forgot how much of a headache sketching caused me until last night, lol...

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:38 am

Just dug up some pictures from where I got the idea from... (wish I had taken more)

Its this island in Brasil where there were TONS of street dogs just roaming around everywhere. Was really weird how many of them there were on such a small island.

The title of the comic is "The Dogs of Ilha Bela"

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:40 am

not street dogs but good characters:

like a boss:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:44 am

sheetsMMAfan wrote:I broke out my sketch pad last night. Last pictures were dragons from 2003 I had drawn....

Sketched the face for the lead character in my upcoming animations. I forgot how hard it was to come up with a style, and fit that style together and actually produce something. Holy hell. My eraser got a work out, thats for sure...

I went with something easy, as animating for the first time might be hard with complex art. I went with a mixture of the Nickelodeon show "Doug", and a few disney sketches I saw.

Will probably sketch 3-4 characters before I really start animating. Am super stoked to produce something that will make people laugh, and something I can stream to my TV that is personalized for my daughter.

Good luck with this Masato! I forgot how much of a headache sketching caused me until last night, lol...

Yeah I never really LIKED sketching/drawing either, its so much effort to do it as well I hope to. Was never the type to be sketching all the time.

You should really get a drawing tablet if you want to make animated material imo. Drawing on paper is probably healthy sometimes, but its so much more efficient to create your characters and layers right in the computer

johnkilo

Postby johnkilo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:14 pm

I really need to get a new tablet.

sheetsMMAfan

Postby sheetsMMAfan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:22 pm

Masato wrote:
sheetsMMAfan wrote:I broke out my sketch pad last night. Last pictures were dragons from 2003 I had drawn....

Yeah I never really LIKED sketching/drawing either, its so much effort to do it as well I hope to. Was never the type to be sketching all the time.

You should really get a drawing tablet if you want to make animated material imo. Drawing on paper is probably healthy sometimes, but its so much more efficient to create your characters and layers right in the computer

I turned my ipad into a tablet with PC sync app, and it is amazingly accurate. I just need a real good stylus, or just invest in a drawing pad for PC.

Money is super tight right now, so resorting to any free method I can find...

fungi

Postby fungi » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Mas, you have to include a guest from Japan in the storyline, a legendary master of mystic exotic dog arts from the Orient, known as "Doge".

p.s. you don't actually have to, just an idea:)

Return to “Anarchy Zone”