Neil Gaiman speech - MAKE GOOD ART

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
Masato
Site Admin

Neil Gaiman speech - MAKE GOOD ART

Postby Masato » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:29 pm

Hey all

For any working artists (in any medium), share your experience/insights/bitching with us!

Are you freelancer? Student? Gallery Artist? Published Writer? Amateur Writer? Just getting started? Do you work at a studio, or from home? Do you wish you could be doing something else?

Tell us your path, your obstacles, opportunities etc.

I've been freelancing for almost 9 years now, and recently found this video that was hugely inspiring.

MAKE GOOD ART

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:46 am

ttt

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:47 am

Masato wrote:Hey all

For any working artists (in any medium), share your experience/insights/bitching with us!

Are you freelancer? Student? Gallery Artist? Published Writer? Amateur Writer? Just getting started? Do you work at a studio, or from home? Do you wish you could be doing something else?

- I'm just a fan, would like to know how to do wood work, things like forniture, decks, i love spend time looking those type of work.
Another thing that i love, is animation, grew up watching Disney and Warner old cartoon, and the crazy fella on my av, hanna-barbera to:

I would like to be a carpenter and do decks, since they're pretty common here.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

fungi

Postby fungi » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:28 pm

The best approach/philosophy to doing anything. Simply do good, make good, do your best, put in 100%, and in the end you can proudly say: "I gave it my all".

Damn inspirational stuff!!! Thanks for the link, Masato.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:15 am

Edge Guerrero wrote: - I'm just a fan, would like to know how to do wood work, things like furniture, decks, i love spend time looking those type of work.
Another thing that i love, is animation, grew up watching Disney and Warner old cartoon, and the crazy fella on my av, hanna-barbera to:

Hey dude - listen to this

A good friend of mine has a family with 2 kids, had a masters degree in finance or something and had a high-paying gig at a major bank here in Canada.

He quit it all last year and took a course to certify him as a home-builder (not sure exactly). Says he absolutely loves working with tools and making houses. Loves all the figuring out of angles etc and the satisfaction of creating something that is done well. He makes all kinds of things now and is super happy doing it.

Add to this the fact that he is from Pakistan, where he explained to me that construction is one of the lowest 'caste' jobs out there, only for the very poor. My friend grew up in a more prosperous family, went to university etc - so as seen from his father's/family's/culture's eyes it was a step DOWN not a step up. His father went from telling people he is a high banker to a construction worker. It is difficult for them to understand.

But to my friend, it was the best move he ever made. Consumer culture discourages art and creativity - but to know that part of one's self and the way it wants to express itself is imo one of the most important parts of a human life. To act on it and have the courage to to the work needed to allow it to manifest even moreso.

If you like furniture, a good MMA shooper here shared this with us, I thought it was pretty cool:

furniture-i-make-out-of-used-car-parts-t221.html

Also let's not forget this epic thread:

battleship-model-from-scratch-t172.html

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:29 am

Masato wrote:
Edge Guerrero wrote: - I'm just a fan, would like to know how to do wood work, things like furniture, decks, i love spend time looking those type of work.

Hey dude - listen to this

A good friend of mine has a family with 2 kids, had a masters degree in finance or something and had a high-paying gig at a major bank here in Canada.

He quit it all last year and took a course to certify him as a home-builder (not sure exactly). Says he absolutely loves working with tools and making houses. Loves all the figuring out of angles etc and the satisfaction of creating something that is done well. He makes all kinds of things now and is super happy doing it.

Add to this the fact that he is from Pakistan, where he explained to me that construction is one of the lowest 'caste' jobs out there, only for the very poor. My friend grew up in a more prosperous family, went to university etc - so as seen from his father's/family's/culture's eyes it was a step DOWN not a step up. His father went from telling people he is a high banker to a construction worker. It is difficult for them to understand.

But to my friend, it was the best move he ever made. Consumer culture discourages art and creativity - but to know that part of one's self and the way it wants to express itself is imo one of the most important parts of a human life. To act on it and have the courage to to the work needed to allow it to manifest even moreso.

If you like furniture, a good MMA shooper here shared this with us, I thought it was pretty cool:

furniture-i-make-out-of-used-car-parts-t221.html

Also let's not forget this epic thread:

battleship-model-from-scratch-t172.html

- Jobs like brick layer, carpenter, painter, they pay good money here, there are feel people here that still do those jobs, usually people who do those jobs come from other states.
A job with a bachelor degree like business administration usually don't pay good, because it's fairly ease to get a degree in those here, there are several places that ofere those courses here.

I work as a painter with my friend, a i love far more painting, the payment is far better, less stressfull, we work less hours pair day.
I don't have kids, so i don't have anybody depending on me, your friend is bu far more corageus than i am.
But the consume culture does desencourage art, usually people stop dreaming( and critic those that still follow their dreams) and go to the rote of money.

Sad that is hard to find some carpenter course there. :(

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:58 am

^^ interesting perspective from Brasil, thanks Edge

My wife is Brasilian, and went to college to be a potter (ceramics). Though her parents supported her it was also difficult to understand because the idea of being a potter in Brasil is just not common (her father more than her mother - could be some paternalistic pattern...).

Brasil is a much more survival country it seems, it is simply not smart to pursue things that are not known to make money. (but there are some! - we went hunting for them last time we visited, was a very interesting trip) She hopes to one day bring more arts down there, to open up community art schools etc to encourage people there to take it more seriously and believe it it worth pursuing in life.

I think a country where there is no time or respect for creative work (beyond commercial function) is in serious trouble. Ironically, it is the artists and visionaries that are among the only ones to get a country out of that trouble!. All change begins in the mind. Creativity is the act of manifesting what is in the mind.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Masato wrote:^^ interesting perspective from Brasil, thanks Edge

My wife is Brasilian, and went to college to be a potter (ceramics). Though her parents supported her it was also difficult to understand because the idea of being a potter in Brasil is just not common (her father more than her mother - could be some paternalistic pattern...).

Brasil is a much more survival country it seems, it is simply not smart to pursue things that are not known to make money. (but there are some! - we went hunting for them last time we visited, was a very interesting trip) She hopes to one day bring more arts down there, to open up community art schools etc to encourage people there to take it more seriously and believe it it worth pursuing in life.

I think a country where there is no time or respect for creative work (beyond commercial function) is in serious trouble. Ironically, it is the artists and visionaries that are among the only ones to get a country out of that trouble!. All change begins in the mind. Creativity is the act of manifesting what is in the mind.

- There art schools there, some people can live of art, some can't, and some doesn't even try.
I think some use art as a side job, or some only use to propagar( don't know the english therm), mantain alive their art.

Here is pretty common artesanate, but is a dying art, like do canoas artesanais, i think there probably even people here that still do those tipe of boats.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Masato wrote:

- You can find cool art in the nordest( northwest) in places like Recife, Bahia (Salvador), amazonia, theres places that sell artefats, here is very commom, but here they're very expensive9Tourist city), you can buy very cool thing is brechos( plea market?), and in the tourist centers.

The type of canoa(boat) i talked about, they used to be entalhed using a knife and axe:

There are diferents models

Here is arte açoriana from Floripa:

This i found now, made of paper mache:

It's Ribeirão da ilha, the old church and the type of boat that people and the fishermans used in the old times, or a couple of decades ago.
Some of those boats are very dourable, having a century or more, and people that buy them, usually don't want risk to ruin them.( i woulnd't take the risk of breaking something that has endured so much time)

Those are old bilros, my grandmother used to do towels, table towels etc with them:
Sorry for don't answering in one post, my browser is horrible.

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”