My Carvings

A True Open Forum; Share/Discuss whatever you like
greenseed

My Carvings

Postby greenseed » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:32 pm

Yo all, My name is Robin and i live in BC Canada and i like to carve stone. I was injured in a diving accident in '07 putting me into a wheelchair as a quad. I met a few guys in '10 who were also in chairs who have a studio and began my journey as a stone carver. My website is http://www.robinunger.com and my studios site is http://www.facebook.com/studio4114 We mostly work in soapstone. Here's a few pics of some work I've done so far:
Imagenot complete

I am currently making another fin like the last pic as i sold that one recently. yes!

i will post some pics of works in progress soon.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:51 pm

Hey greenseed, thanks for sharing this! Super cool work

I was born on Vancouver Island, and lived in Victoria a few times through the years... great place. I am in Ontario now but will always have BC blood... I miss the air there.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does quadriplegic mean? I always thought it was inability to move both arms and legs, but how can you carve then? I watched the videos about the tools they use so there is some upper body ability?

Much respect to your journey man, you must have some good courage and positivity to have gone through something like that yet remain creative. Very inspiring for sure

Can I post some of the vids? its really interesting

Now I gotta research 'wheelchair rugby' lol :)

KEEP GOING!

What draws you the inuit style? Do you connect with this culture/mythology/artform specifically? (ie; why not make skulls etc)

Empty Emp

Postby Empty Emp » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:19 pm

Awesome work! I was looking through your site and I was wondering what the tool is in the gif below. Is it a powered chisel? I also want to know what other tools you use for carving stone. It seems like a very fascinating process.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:27 pm

Do you feel anything to the old sculptor's cliche about how the sculpture already exists in the rock, and you just are removing the excess? Like the rock tells you what it wants to be?

Where do your ideas come from?

I find it interesting to create by taking away... all my creativity has been in making things that weren't there. Wondering if there is some difference cerebrally about being creative in this opposite kind of way.

greenseed

Postby greenseed » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Masato wrote:Hey greenseed, thanks for sharing this! Super cool work

I was born on Vancouver Island, and lived in Victoria a few times through the years... great place. I am in Ontario now but will always have BC blood... I miss the air there.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does quadriplegic mean? I always thought it was inability to move both arms and legs, but how can you carve then? I watched the videos about the tools they use so there is some upper body ability?

Much respect to your journey man, you must have some good courage and positivity to have gone through something like that yet remain creative. Very inspiring for sure

Can I post some of the vids? its really interesting

What draws you the inuit style? Do you connect with this culture/mythology/artform specifically? (ie; why not make skulls etc)

when did you move from BC?

quadriplegic means that all four limbs are affected. my injury is @ c5/c6 vertebra so i can move my arms and wrists but not my fingers and have no feeling or muscle movement below my nipple level.
post vids if you want, sure.
I don't know why i've done more native style. i guess i just like natural forms so far. i made a skull pipe for a friend, no pics though.

greenseed

Postby greenseed » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:07 pm

Empty Emp wrote:Awesome work! I was looking through your site and I was wondering what the tool is in the gif below. Is it a powered chisel? I also want to know what other tools you use for carving stone. It seems like a very fascinating process.

thanks Emp. Yes, the tool is a power chisel with this motor http://www.foredom.net/lx-emx.aspx

we use that and hand saws to rough out and then use this:
with files and chisels made to fit

greenseed

Postby greenseed » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:18 pm

Masato wrote:Do you feel anything to the old sculptor's cliche about how the sculpture already exists in the rock, and you just are removing the excess? Like the rock tells you what it wants to be?

Where do your ideas come from?

I find it interesting to create by taking away... all my creativity has been in making things that weren't there. Wondering if there is some difference cerebrally about being creative in this opposite kind of way.

I do feel that that cliche does hold some truth. when you get a piece of stone you generally want to use the most of the rock to make the biggest piece possible. so each stone will have its own shape therefore semi-dictating what it will be used to make. there is always the time when you want to make something specific so you look for a piece that would work for that, sometimes cutting smaller chunks off to accommodate the shape you want. I get ideas from everywhere. Nature, Native art, magazines, geometry books haha. i have a list in my head of what i want to do next. A Mobius Strip is one. I used to only do art where you "add" (clayy,paint,drawing,music production) before my injury but it's beenn a fairly easy transition to the "subtractive" art.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:27 pm

Welcome Greenseed! If you dont mind me asking how do you type without finger movement? When I was in the Middle East a Bedouin girl sold me a soapstone carving of a frog, but it was hollow with holes in its back and inside it was another frog. Crazy stuff.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:40 pm

- Amazing work my fiend.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

greenseed

Postby greenseed » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:03 pm

Luigi wrote:Welcome Greenseed! If you dont mind me asking how do you type without finger movement? When I was in the Middle East a Bedouin girl sold me a soapstone carving of a frog, but it was hollow with holes in its back and inside it was another frog. Crazy stuff.
Thanks luigi, i can type with 1 finger by moving my wrist and tapping the keys. very much like an old man but faster. do you have a pic of the frog? cheers

Return to “Anarchy Zone”