Mrs. Masato is building an ART SCHOOL!

Arts, Philosophy, Spirituality & Wisdom
Masato
Site Admin

Mrs. Masato is building an ART SCHOOL!

Postby Masato » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:02 pm

Start a thread man, that's what this subforum is all about!

Very cool stuff, are you from BC?? Do you have some Inuit in your blood or are you just inspired by the style?

Seriously, post this up, I really wanna get more artists in here its great inspiration to see what other people like to do creatively

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:34 am

Masato wrote:My wife has a bunch of different pottery classes, her business partner teaches all kinds of drawing, painting, mixed media.

I do a comic class, we also have glass, jewelry-making, puppet-making, and others as we find people who have different creative skills to teach.

We are also planning to turn the basement into a computer lab to teach photoshop, animation, video editing etc.

I hope to teach a shoop class one day :)

- Cool.
I was seriuos whem i talked about Capoeira, it's that whem i read art, i tought about Martial arts, dance and other forms of physic expression.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:56 am

Some bricks were put up... not the color she wanted but it's OK.

Floors are down too, will get some pics. The whole place is gonna start coming together real fast now I think. They are aiming for an early November Grand Opening

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:02 am

We JUST found out that the local government-funded Art centre in the next town has a drop-in class called 'The Creative Hub'.

My wife and her partner have already registered this business name, incorporated, got the HST# etc and are developing their signs/website etc.

We don't know when this drop-in program was created... it is new to us. Tuesday (its a holiday tomorrow here) we will find out WHEN that name was chosen, and if it was before or after we started advertising the name. Its possible its just a coincidence, but its also possible that it was done in some kind of competitive spite. I'm hoping its the first.

Bottom line is we can't both use this name so close in proximity. Either we'll have to change it and come up with a new name/logo (lots of work), or they will have to change the name of their drop-in classes (much easier for them). This place already is subsidized by the govt, is claimed to be a 'not-for-profit' operation, and gets all kinds of 'donations' from rich folks as tax breaks and ego-builders.

Because of this they can offer free shit, and low prices. Hard to compete with.

If they really give a shit about the arts, I think they should support our small place and let us keep the name.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:27 am

Hey everyone, some updates on the place:

Starting to move shit in. Floors finally done. This is weird to me because as soon as the floors were down they started bringing in all their tools and shit, and I figured for sure they would wreck the floor, lol.

My wife picked a really unusual floor. Everyone though she was crazy, even some of the contractor guys thought it was the old floor and didn't understand. But watch, man - its coming together, she has a plan and is quite good at this stuff. I think the floor looks really cool:

Constructing the kitchen area. She is making a concrete countertop, so this is laying in the mold or whatever. There has been a debate, maybe someone knows the answer: They poured concrete in, then AFTER, they chipped out the place for the sink to go. Others are saying they should have made the hole for the sink ahead of time. Each defends their technique. I don't know shit about it, lol

This is 'chalkboard paint'. Apparently you can write with chalk or special marker and erase. My wife painted it herself and said that if it was crooked I wasn't allowed to say it. (its crooked, lol)

Some nice track lights, but won't be enough, she'll need to add some drop-down lights for the tables

The wife's business partner is painting the stairs that go up to her part of the school like you are going up the color wheel. Very cool, give her time she will have this whole stairwell decorated, will be awesome

Looking down the stairwell from the top. The 3 patches of red on the right is them deciding color, and it reminded me of a scene in Bill Murray's 'Lost in Translation'. I LOL'ed but had to keep it to myself

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:35 am

Wife's business partner has a ton of materials (paints, brushes, pencils ec etc etc - I mean TONS) so she found some cool old antiques for organizing it all. This one is beautiful, I can't remember what it was used as originally :( :

To save $$ and for sake of style they went scrounging around old barns and scrapyards, and found big pieces of old barn wood for free or really cheap. This wood beam is added on after to give the look like its an old place. You can also see salvaged baseboards used as a trim. I really like this.

This wood was used to cover a duct. Looks great, no?

Some hardcore art-studio work tables being constructed:

My wife designed this idea, the back is made with old salvaged wood, and the brackets are made with plumbing pipes if I'm not mistaken. Its dusty as hell in this pic but the shelves are a really nice wood, this will be for the gallery area where she'll put pottery and other kinds of artwork

Wife is painting everything to look a bit worn/old. She likes mixing old and new:

Kitchen in progress. You can see where they are chipping out the hole for the sink:

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:46 am

things starting to get into place:

Stairwell wall is painted. (They picked the 'red', lol)

Upstairs. Wife's business partner loves old artist's stuff. Check out this awesome old easel. They are finding all kinds of awesome valuable stuff for really cheap, it's kind of cool to see:

This is the upstairs. I have no idea what the plan is for this part of the space, but its fun because every time I come upstairs to see its a surprise. You can see some old lockers in the back, I guess for more unique storage/organizing space. Can't wait to see this part finished

Building some kind of custom work-space table. This part of the studio will be for all kinds of art, so this end at the back I think is a standing table for cutting, hot-gluing, or whatever needs some tools:

Apparently this is only a fraction of all her paints, lol:

This is the bathroom in my wife's studio she is designing. The window is an old door she found somewhere. The sink I think is made of rock? Not sure. She says bathroom cabinets and fixtures are too expensive and thinks that using re-purposed stuff looks better anyways if you do it right.

The floor:

'nother shot of the mirror:

OK get this: My wife found this stick-ball somewhere for like 30 bucks. She bought a light fixture and strung it up. The whole things cost about $50 bones. A few days later she saw the EXACT same lamp in a high-end interior design catalogue... guess how much? $1100.
Fucking crazy.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:50 am

Yeah and this happened last night, lol

We still don't know for sure if its a backed up sewer (we don't think so for a few reasons), or maybe the water heater leaking... either way the drain is plugged to hell. My wife's business parter has her first class TODAY, we found this at like 9pm last night.

I brought in my shop vac but it wasn't working, lol
Eventually this room will be a computer lab where I hope to teach shoop classes :)

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:55 am

Looks cool. My father build his house full of those old 1800s wood beams. Some was a barn, some was a saw mill.

EOW

Postby EOW » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:12 am

This is awesome mate, really hope all goes well.

Congratulations Mrs Masato!

Return to “Creative Sanctuary”