Job offer 4 'Our Cartoon President'

Politics, History, & 'Conspiracy'
Masato
Site Admin

Re: Job offer 4 'Our Cartoon President'

Postby Masato » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:07 pm

Joe Mama wrote:
Masato wrote:Hey all

So one of my previous clients is now a producer on this show. They were looking for storyboard artists and she invited me to apply. They had a test and as a professional challenge/curiosity I did the test and killed it. They offered me a job starting immediately but after all that we discussed pay and was absolute dogshit so I turned it down.

Good for you brother. Telling them 'No, Im worth it' because you 'Know im worth it' is huge when it comes to business.

Still, an interesting experience. I peeked around full knowing it is total propaganda, Trump-hating public opinion control, and full knowing it is produced by Stephen Colbert who I think is a pedophile.

You will have several opportunities where you have to set your own personal bias aside and see it for what it is - a paycheck for your time/talent.

I just thought it was a weird thing to come my way, & had to test where it went. I mean the idea that I would get to use my skills and humor to create an animated show about political satire? How perfect can you get?? lol This is really not far off from the staging and style of the Killary Clinton comic I started, same sort of design

Regardless of your political bias (or lack thereof) when it comes to doing work for others, Ive found that I need to put my own personal feelings aside (in the name of getting paid for my talent)

I was imagining what would happen if the position was really lucrative, because from an animation perspective I think it is a brilliant show, very nicely drawn/art directed etc imo Would I have dived into the belly of the beast for experience's sake?

Chances are, you would have dived into the belly of the beast to put the stymie on YOUR OWN PERSONAL comics and whatnot that you have done for your personal pleasure. While they may *seem* similar, make no mistake - Id be willing to bet burgers to bongos that they would tell you to shut that shit down - you work for THEM now. And being a propaganda based satire, whos to say they wouldn't flip the script to adopt views you weren't in kahoots with? (Again - job is a job regardless of how it stokes you morally)

Anyways thank god I dodged that bullet lol

I agree. :D

Great post! thanks for the thoughts Joe Mama

I think finding that balance between work and ethics an interesting one... I have a friend who is so married to his morals and ethics that he is basically frozen in life, he doesn't want to cooperate with anything he finds even remotely offensive in any way and thus can't do shit, lol
He's full on vegan, hates the government, refuses taxes, won't even get a drivers license or passport as a result of his hangups. He's even spent time in prison for his obstinance.

The far other extreme of that scale is throwing all morals to the wind and making one's money by any means necessary. Obviously we must find balance somewhere in the middle.

Most of my income is made creating storyboards and illustrations for advertising creatives. I have nothing against advertising itself, everyone needs to advertise if they want to run a business or sell a product. But sometimes the client is a bit stinky, McDonalds or Big Pharma etc. I have only turned down a few jobs in 15 years due to objections to the client.

Does a plumber or a baker screen all his clients to see what they do or what their ethics are? Or do they just show up to fix the pipes and collect their pay? Like that baker or plumber, I get paid to produce illustrations. Do I screen all my customers the same way, or should I be happy with their business and provide them with the same quality as any other paying customer?

Its a difficult question. Maybe I just make that baker analogy to ease my conscience. This opportunity to possibly work on a CBS TV show opened that up again for me. And when/if I get any biters for my movie project, I will have to grapple with this again.

This is why its dangerous I think to get too rich, or become too 'successful', we start dealing with increasingly shady people and agendas. Simple honest humble work in this regard is worth so much more than it gets credit for.

PS: I am still 100% hiring you Joe Mama to do some voicework for me. The project is just developing slowly but we're getting closer, maybe even in the next month. Can't wait! :D be well dude

Return to “The Grand Chessboard”