Hungary Uni Discontinues Gender Studies Programs

Politics, History, & 'Conspiracy'
Masato
Site Admin

Hungary Uni Discontinues Gender Studies Programs

Postby Masato » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:04 pm

Hungary Discontinues Gender Studies Programs: ‘Ideology, Not Science’

https://www.breitbart.com/london/2018/0 ... t-science/

The Hungarian government is discontinuing programs in gender studies at state-run universities after determining the programs serve no identifiable purpose and are based on “ideology rather than science.”

Bence Rétvári, Secretary of State of the Ministry of Human Resources (EMMI), said that university degrees must be rooted in a scientific basis, whereas gender studies, “like Marxist-Leninism,” are more aptly termed ideology than science, and are inappropriate matter for university-level education.

A spokesman for the Hungarian government told Breitbart News that there is no demand for gender studies graduates in the Hungarian job market.

“There is no economic rationale for studies such as these,” he said, and nor does the program “furnish students with skills that can be readily and directly converted on the labour market.”

Few university students will be affected by the decision, since only 11 applicants were admitted this year into the gender studies program at ELTE, which has a cap of 18 students, and two more at George Soros’s CEU.

The spokesman said that programs with such low student numbers are unsustainable and “take away valuable resources from other programs, deteriorating the economic stability of universities.”

“State universities operated from public funds must take these factors into consideration,” he said, “since the purpose of these institutions of higher education is to meet genuine social and labour market needs.”

The government decree only affects two universities in Hungary, the Eötvös Loránd University in Budapest (ELTE) and the Central European University (CEU), the only two offering gender studies at the graduate level.

“We must raise awareness to the fact that these programs are doing nothing to lift up our nation. In fact, they are destroying the values-centred mode of thinking that is still present in the countries of Central Europe,” Mr. Nacsa wrote in a letter to the president of ELTE.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:10 pm

If enrollment is so low, and there is admittedly zero employment in the labor force for such skills, it forces the question as to how these programs got implemented in the first place?

The article states that Central European University (CEU) is connected to George Soros, but haven't dot-connected exactly as to the details of this relationship.

I found this interesting, compared to many universities in the west that are increasingly promoting more and more gender studies programs, some universities almost completely shifting entirely from academic-based institutions into feminist hubs of neo-liberal mania

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Masato wrote:If enrollment is so low, and there is admittedly zero employment in the labor force for such skills, it forces the question as to how these programs got implemented in the first place?

The article states that Central European University (CEU) is connected to George Soros, but haven't dot-connected exactly as to the details of this relationship.

I found this interesting, compared to many universities in the west that are increasingly promoting more and more gender studies programs, some universities almost completely shifting entirely from academic-based institutions into feminist hubs of neo-liberal mania

- Some degrees have a lower employement rate. As you know. Lets say Teology fro example, but still is a degree that studies how religion formed our society culturaly and even how our laws are basead. Some people you choose a degree without taking employement rate in consideration and they have their right to doo, as i know you defend that right(Im totally nut-hugging you). They think is that for another peoples a degree is just a thingto show off. Thats doenst reflect they real core and is just a way to show how they care about something that is darling of this season!
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:47 pm

^^ I agree with that, not all fields of study require a strong job market to justify themselves. Philosophy or History or Religious Studies etc are fascinating things to study for their own sake of course, and I would understand perfectly why someone would want to study this even though there are not many jobs out there for them.

But those topics are studies that to me personally are things that a person can study and engage in for a lifetime, fascinating ideas that uplift and enlighten, make for wise and interesting people. But to spend a lifetime focusing on gender issues? Is this really something worth spending years of attention on? What kind of person results in only thinking about sex and gender abnormalities? Ugh Society is making sexuality something so huge and complicated these days, can you seriously fit a 4+ year curriculum on the topic?

Sometimes I think aside from a very few cases, sexuality is really not as complex as we're making it out to be, we're almost conditioned these days to thinks its so confusing and deep but I think for most people its much healthier to keep it simple and move on, better things to focus about

But that's just me I guess.

Would still be curious in the Soros connection and how/why so much of this stuff has apparently been implemented into universities in so many countries so quickly

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:26 pm

First the 'Stop Soros' anti migrant election campaign, and now they're closing gender studies programs. Hungary is becoming a paradise for the alt right set.
el rey del mambo

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:31 pm

Sometimes a problem becomes so pervasive its best just stomped into the dirt. They could have done something more graceful like put a heavy tax on the programs, but I can't blame Orban for being firm here.

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:52 am

Masato wrote:^^ I agree with that, not all fields of study require a strong job market to justify themselves. Philosophy or History or Religious Studies etc are fascinating things to study for their own sake of course, and I would understand perfectly why someone would want to study this even though there are not many jobs out there for them.

But those topics are studies that to me personally are things that a person can study and engage in for a lifetime, fascinating ideas that uplift and enlighten, make for wise and interesting people. But to spend a lifetime focusing on gender issues? Is this really something worth spending years of attention on? What kind of person results in only thinking about sex and gender abnormalities? Ugh Society is making sexuality something so huge and complicated these days, can you seriously fit a 4+ year curriculum on the topic?

Sometimes I think aside from a very few cases, sexuality is really not as complex as we're making it out to be, we're almost conditioned these days to thinks its so confusing and deep but I think for most people its much healthier to keep it simple and move on, better things to focus about

But that's just me I guess.

Would still be curious in the Soros connection and how/why so much of this stuff has apparently been implemented into universities in so many countries so quickly

Valid as hobbies to be sure, personally I regret not going into medicine. Could have reached the same level I’m at on my own.

Return to “The Grand Chessboard”