Little known fact: much of the crusades were waged against Northern Europe

Politics, History, & 'Conspiracy'
Luigi

Little known fact: much of the crusades were waged against Northern Europe

Postby Luigi » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:18 am

You would think they would mention at least one of the Northern Crusades in history class.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Crusades

I try to remain neutral towards Xtianity out of respect for my grandfather, but its hard man. Theyre guilty of the same zealous culrural destruction as Islam. I see less differences between the two faiths every day.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:53 pm

Its embarrassing to talk about this stuff with Luigi, cause while my head is full of stoner imaginings and crappy Youtube alt-history vids, Luigi actually knows some thangz, lol

Yet I will ask anyways:

What do you think of theories that events like Crusades, Islamic empires etc were not so much actually motivated by religion, but by a totally different agenda?

I have heard it discussed that the Crusades, Spanish Inquisition etc operated under the guise of religion, but they were in fact mass-censoring operations, exterminating specific history and knowledge, killing off anyone who could keep it alive. The motivation was takeover and control, and religion was twisted to take the blame.

I have a hard time believing that things like the Crusades and the destruction in that link for example ^^ was solely a result of a fervent religiosity.

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:01 pm

lol Thanks man. Don't worry I'm happy to share knowledge. There was definitely a fair deal of politics and money influencing the crusades. For instance the first crusade was called because the Byzantine Empire had just lost a ton of land to the invading Muslim Seljuks and wanted to get it back. During the Teutonic knights' crusades against Lithuania the Lithuanian king converted to Christianity, baptized his nobles and gave the religion official status to end the conflict. This was enough to stop volunteer fighters from joining the Teutonic Knights, but the knights themselves continued to attack because they wanted money and power. Thankfully another ruler reverted the kingdom to the native faith when the deceit had been discovered.

You mentioned censoring and exterminating knowledge - that seems to be the part that does actually seem to come from the religion more than anything. Of course there was takeover and control in contexts like the previously mentioned, but the religious censoring also existed independently. e.g. The Spanish inquisition I think actually was just religious fervor and a lot of legitimate fear of a powerful enemy. You can see Christianity follow the same pattern of behavior in the witch trials which didn't really have any grand economic importance. I saw the same pattern of behavior when I went to Catholic school and the teachers showed a knee jerk reaction of arrogance and intolerance to things as tame as agnosticism.

Illuminat3d0ne

Postby Illuminat3d0ne » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:21 pm

I'm just going to sit back and learn on this one

Thanks for the knowledge luigi

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:28 am

The OId Prussians did not survive these crusades. This was the only people of Northern Europe that actually died for their ancient religion rather than accept Christianity. The last Germanized remnant of this culture and population was erased by Soviet Russians with mass murder and rape, and finally the annexation of East Prussia to Russia and Poland.

The legendary leader of the Great Prussian Uprising against the Teutonic Knights, Herkus Monte:

el rey del mambo

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:42 am

*another fun fact. The Bosnians were persecuted so relentlessly by both the Byzantines and the Romans that they wound up converting to Islam. Their national Bosnian Church was believed to be Bogomil, which was a Christian Gnostic theology based on Armenian Paulicianism.

I should post some pictures of ancient Bosniak gravestones. Fascinating.
el rey del mambo

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:52 am

Bosnia:

el rey del mambo

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:54 am

el rey del mambo

evil-kungfool

Postby evil-kungfool » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:35 am

Religion should be the soul of a people, not an ever expanding empire.

Return to “The Grand Chessboard”