King Leopold II of Belgium

Politics, History, & 'Conspiracy'
Som-Pong

Re: King Leopold II of Belgium

Postby Som-Pong » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:55 pm

Canuckster wrote:"Insults are the arguments employed by those that are in the wrong."

Jean Jacques Rousseau

Lol great guy to cite? Who's next?

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:19 pm

Luigi wrote:
Masato wrote:
Luigi wrote:Pre-contact North America had a very low population. The vast majority of the land was not permanently inhabited but rather a great land mass where nomadic hunter-gatherers would sometimes set up non-permanent settlements. Mexico is an obvious exception but most people don't think Aztecs when they think "Native Americans." I believe the estimate for pre-contact Canada is 200,000, and when contact occurred 90% of them were decimated by urban diseases. If you factor in the U.S. you would probably get a population of a few million, and if you factor in the Aztec Empire you would probably be in the range of 10-20 million. When you consider the vast majority died from disease, I would have to agree with Vutu that the genocide of North American Amerindians pales in comparison to the 10 million who died in the Belgian labor camps in the Congo(assuming that figure is accurate).

This is very interesting..!

I had always imagined a really massive slaughter, just considering the land-mass alone. But when I think about it you are likely right there were likely not millions or tens of millions, etc. No evidence of any population of that size I've seen, at least in Cnada. 200,000 you say? I wonder who made that estimate and who funded them etc

Are typical estimates of Native populations in the USA lands much greater? Interesting to think we may never really know, as they didn't build permanent structures and all trace has likely disappeared. Do you think the slaughter in the states might have been in the millions?

This is fascinating, I have had this history in my head most of my life but never actually contemplated the numbers

Pre-Contact U.S. would no doubt have had a much larger population than pre-contact Canada. Everywhere humans exist the Malthusian equation is in effect and the climate of the U.S. would have meant there were much more food resources there than in Canada. Even in a place like Europe where modernity is so deeply established, Italy has a population of 60 million, Sweden 9 million.

Luigi is the brains of this operation, lol

:D

thanks bro!

Simple things that somehow I never really clued into, lol

Return to “The Grand Chessboard”