Media Propaganda

Politics, History, & 'Conspiracy'
Daglord

Media propoganda

Postby Daglord » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:14 pm

AGREED. great response to the question & talk IMO. honest, passionate & from the heart. no-predetermined talking points.

& speaking of media misinformation/propaganda (& to answer your Beatles/Paul question):

This guy is saying it was a different replacement than what Ringo said.

One of them is lying. If both believe that they are telling the truth, I'd have to go with Ringo. However he might be spreading misinformation to muddy the waters.

lol @ no one calling bullshit on that immediately & running with it on confirmationbias.org.

It's highly unlikely if Ringo came out & admitted they replaced Paul, in the biggest band in the world, that the only outlet that would pick it up would be the "Bat Boy" World News Daily Report? lol. plus, there is THIS:

Disclaimer:

WNDR assumes however all responsibility for the satirical nature of its articles and for the fictional nature of their content. All characters appearing in the articles in this website – even those based on real people – are entirely fictional and any resemblance between them and any persons, living, dead, or undead is purely a miracle.

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/disclaimer/

those who know, know :lol:

penxv

Postby penxv » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:51 pm

The Beatles, man. That's some crazy shit. They were big like the Backstreet Boys.

Daglord

Postby Daglord » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:03 pm

the beatles knew what was up with the machine. called them out on it many times 8-)

Spoiler:
Q: "Paul, how often have you taken LSD?"

PAUL: (pause) "About four times."

Q: "And where did you get it from?"

PAUL: "Well, you know, if I was to say where I got it from, you know, I mean... it's illegal and everything... it's silly to say that, you know. So I'd rather not say that."

Q: "Don't you believe that this is a matter which you should have kept private?"

PAUL: "Mmm, but the thing is -- I was asked a question by a newspaper, and the decision was whether to tell a lie or tell him the truth. I decided to tell him the truth... but I really didn't want to say anything, you know, because if I had my way I wouldn't have told anyone. I'm not trying to spread the word about this. But the man from the newspaper is the man from the mass medium. I'll keep it a personal thing if he does too you know... if he keeps it quiet. But he wanted to spread it so it's his responsibility, you know, for spreading it not mine."

Q: "But you're a public figure and you said it in the first place and you must have known it would make the newspaper."

PAUL: "Yeah, but to say it is only to tell the truth. I'm telling the truth, you know. I don't know what everyone's so angry about."

Q: "Do you think that you have now encouraged your fans to take drugs?"

PAUL: (clearly and calmly) "I don't think it'll make any difference. I don't think my fans are going to take drugs just because I did, you know. But the thing is -- that's not the point anyway. I was asked whether I had or not. And from then on, the whole bit about how far it's gonna go and how many people it's going to encourage is up to the newspapers, and up to you on television. I mean, you're spreading this now, at this moment. This is going into all the homes in Britain. And I'd rather it didn't. But you're asking me the question -- You want me to be honest -- I'll be honest."

Q: "But as a public figure, surely you've got the responsibility to..."

PAUL: "...No, it's you who've got the responsibility. You've got the responsibility not to spread this NOW. You know, I'm quite prepared to keep it as a very personal thing if you will too. If you'll shut up about it, I will."

Daglord

Postby Daglord » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:17 pm

Spoiler:
JOHN: "I feel the same now, really, about organized religion, education, and all those things that everybody is still laughing at. But I mean, I expressed it THAT way THEN. I don't know how I'd express it now, you know. It'd be slightly different really. I've always sort of suspected that there was a God, even when I thought I was an atheist. But I beleive it, so I am full of compassion, really, even still. I just hate things less strenuously than I did. I haven't got as big of a chip about it, because maybe I've escaped out of it a bit. I think our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. And I think that's what I sussed when I was sixteen and twelve, way down the line. But I expressed it differently all through my life. It's the same thing I'm expressing all the time. But NOW I can put it into that sentence that I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends, you know. If anybody can put on paper what our government, and the American government, and the Russian, Chinese... what they are all trying to do, and what they THINK they're doing, I'd be very pleased to know what they think they're doing. I think they're all insane. But I am liable to be put away as insane for expressing that, you know. That's what is insane about it. I mean, don't you agree?

http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1968.0606.beatles.html

Daglord

Postby Daglord » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Spoiler:
CIA News: A Brief History of Media Manipulation by U.S. Intelligence

It is a well-known and uncontested fact that the CIA has enjoyed a long and intimate relationship with some of the largest news organizations in the world, and has used this relationship to manipulate, censor, and even fabricate news stories in support of its own covert agenda.

Over the years, numerous specific examples of the agency's manipulation of the news media have surfaced, including multiple instances where stories that had been outright fabricated by CIA assets had resulted in the justification for military intervention. And, recently we witnessed how the CIA steps in to stop the publication of certain stories when the agency threatened independent documentary filmmakers John Duffy and Ray Nowosielski from publishing the names of two recently identified CIA agents, Alfreda Frances Bikowsky and Michael Anne Casey.

It is no longer disputed that the CIA has maintained an extensive and ongoing relationship with news organizations and journalists, and multiple, specific acts of media manipulation have now been documented. But as long as the public continues to ignore the influence of intelligence agencies in shaping or even fabricating news stories, the agency will continue to be able to set the policy that drives the American war machine at will.

This is our EyeOpener Report by James Corbett presenting documented facts and examples of the CIA's extensive and ongoing relationship with news organizations and journalists: 'CIA in the News Media'

Devil's Advocate

Postby Devil's Advocate » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:00 pm

Editor sacked over 'hoax' photos

Daily Mirror editor Piers Morgan has been sacked after the newspaper conceded photos of British soldiers abusing an Iraqi were fake.

In a statement the Mirror said it had fallen victim to a "calculated and malicious hoax" and that it would be "inappropriate" for Morgan to continue.

The Queen's Lancashire Regiment (QLR) said the Mirror had endangered British troops by running the pictures.

Roger Goodman, of the QLR, said the regiment now felt "vindicated".

Mr Goodman added: "It is just a great pity it has taken so long... and that so much damage has been done in the meantime."

Daily Mirror picture
The Daily Mirror... apologises unreservedly for publishing the pictures and deeply regrets the reputational damage done to the QLR and the Army in Iraq
Mirror statement
At a news conference in Preston on Friday afternoon, the regiment demonstrated to reporters aspects of uniform and equipment which it said proved the photographs were fake.

The regiment's Brigadier Geoff Sheldon said the vehicle featured in the photographs had been located in a Territorial Army base in Lancashire and had never been in Iraq.

He said the QLR's reputation had been damaged by the Mirror and asked the newspaper to apologise because the evidence they were staged was "overwhelming".

The Conservatives said they hoped lessons had been learned from the row.

Deputy leader and foreign affairs spokesman, Michael Ancram, said: ''Looking at the facts objectively, this is the right thing for Piers Morgan to have done.

"The photos that were published in the Daily Mirror have done great damage to the reputation of our troops, who are serving under some of the most difficult conditions in Iraq.''

"The Daily Mirror... apologises unreservedly for publishing the pictures and deeply regrets the reputational damage done to the QLR and the Army in Iraq"

'Recruiting poster for al-Qaeda'

The photos published in the Mirror on 1 May appeared to show British troops torturing an Iraqi detainee.

In one picture a soldier is seen urinating on a hooded man while in another the hooded man is being hit with a rifle in the groin.

Colonel Black, a former regiment commander of the QLR, said the pictures put lives in danger and acted as a "recruiting poster" for al-Qaeda.

However one of the Mirror's informants - Soldier C - said there had been abuse in Iraq.

The Territorial Army solider has been questioned by Royal Military Police after talking about his claims to the Daily Mirror.

On ITV's Tonight With Trevor McDonald he said: "It did go on, it wasn't all the army, it wasn't systematic but it did happen."

Downing Street refused to comment on the issue, saying it was a matter for the Mirror board.

Devil's Advocate

Postby Devil's Advocate » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:09 pm

The BBC was caught running a years old photo of an Iraq war mass grave claiming it depicted the Houla massacre and blaming it on the Syria government.

Devil's Advocate

Postby Devil's Advocate » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:12 pm

How CNN helped spread a hoax about Syrian babies dying in incubators

A disturbing story is circulating on social networks — especially in Arabic — and some news media that a number of premature babies died in their incubators when Syrian forces cut off electricity to hospitals during their assault on the city of Hama.

Evidence suggests it is a cruel hoax, and the pictures of the “dead babies” widely circulated online are false.

To me the story was immediately suspicious. First of all it sounded too much like the false reports of invading Iraqi troops throwing babies out of incubators in Kuwait in August 1990 — reports that were used to build public support and urgency for the 1991 Gulf War. These claims were part of an elaborate propaganda effort by the Washington PR consultancy Hill & Knowlton hired by the Kuwaiti government.

Why this matters
As the Syrian government has escalated its brutal crackdown against the uprising, people outside the country, including major news media, have become reliant on YouTube videos and eyewitness accounts collected at a distance.

Many of the videos that have emerged from Syria depict horrifying violence even if it is not always possible for news media to verify specific details. What is not in doubt is that the Syrian government has sought to restore its grip on the country with extreme violence. Many innocent people have been victims — including children, such as 13-year old Hamza al-Khatib who was tortured and killed in horrifying circumstances.

In this hazy situation created by Syria’s exclusion of international media, different parties can try to seek advantage in the propaganda war. False reports and hoaxes make it much harder to get people to take real crimes seriously.

What has been claimed
Last night, I received this image by Twitter. It can also be found on numerous Arabic-language forums, particularly based in the Gulf. Here’s one example and here is another. The accompanying texts are similar — though with changing details — to the caption on the image I received which said (my translation):

URGENT

Syria | The electricity was cut today from the city of Hama, and the outage included the hospitals. Following this, the Shabiha [state militia] deliberately destroyed the electricity generators in the hospitals which led to the deaths of all the premature babies (more than 40 in a single hospital).

On its face, the report is hyperbolic and not very credible, though it appears to be believable enough that many people circulated it in good faith.

But even the most brutal regimes don’t tend to deliberately destroy generators at hospitals. Not even Saddam’s army really threw babies out of incubators. Which hospitals? If it was 40 babies in one hospital, how many in the others? Tens more? Hundreds more? And what about the picture? Are those babies dead or alive?

Moreover why haven’t any of the major human rights organizations monitoring events in Syria including Human Rights Watch or Amnesty International raised the alarm?

Claims of babies dying in incubators appear as early as 30 July
The photo and claims of the dead infants in Hama that I received began circulating on Twitter at least as early as August 4 or 5, but without any sourcing:

CNN and the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights
On 7 August, CNN carried a story headlined, “Rights group: 8 babies die after power cut to Syrian hospital”:

(CNN) — A Syrian human rights group says eight premature infants dependent on incubators died after authorities cut power to a hospital in the embattled city of Hama as part of a renewed crackdown on anti-government demonstrators calling for an end to President Bashar al-Assad’s reign.

The babies died at Hurani Hospital in the northwest Syrian city on Wednesday, Rami Abdul-Rahman, president of the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said Sunday. Abdul-Rahman cited information provided by a hospital employee who fled the city on Saturday.

CNN cannot independently verify the account. The Syrian government could not immediately be reached for comment.

And indeed, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights website carries an Arabic-language item dated 7 August and headlined “8 infants martyred in the Syrian army’s campaign in Hama.” The item states (my translation):

Eight newborn infants died when Syrian authorities cut off electricity to a hospital in Hama in an intervention that is part of the Damascus regime’s effort to crush the anti-government protests in the city.

Rami Abdul Rahman, director of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said, citing an employee of the al-Hourani Hospital who had fled Hama, that the babies died inside their incubators when the electricity supply was cut off from the hospital, in a renewal of the campaign of military oppression that the Damascus regime is engaged in to crush the protests against it.

The report does not name the hospital employee nor provide a date for the alleged incident. Oddly, right at the bottom of this item, it states:

Source: CNN Arabic

A quick search on CNN Arabic located a similar story also dated 7 August and carrying the headline “8 infants killed in in the Syrian army’s campaign in Hama.”

The first two paragraphs of the report are identical verbatim to the Syrian Observatory’s text. Notably the CNN Arabic report — unlike the CNN English report — does not carry a disclaimer that the report is unverified.

The rest of the CNN Arabic story reports on incidents in other parts of Syria.

Given that the two CNN reports and the Syrian Observatory report are all dated 7 August, what seems like a likely sequence is that the Syrian Observatory fed this unverified report to CNN Arabic, which then published it.

The Syrian Observatory then may have put the report on its website citing CNN Arabic as the source, giving it the appearance of added credibility. I wasn’t able to find an earlier report of the alleged incident on the Syrian Observatory website.

Neither the Syrian Observatory report nor CNN mentioned any details about how or why the electricity was cut off, nor that any backup generators (which all hospitals have) were then deliberately destroyed.

Moreover, they only speak about one hospital and 8 babies, nowhere near the horrifying report of “more than 40” in one hospital alone.

Neither showed any images of the type that have circulated online, although CNN’s iReport site — which allows citizens to upload their own stories — does carry the incubator picture in an item dated 5 August.

For CNN to carry the Syrian Observatory’s report without knowing that various reports of babies dying in incubators — always unverified and with crucial differences in details — were circulating for days, is the height of irresponsibility. The ‘babies in incubators’ story calls to mind the equally lurid and unsubstantiated reports of mass rape in Libya.

Other than CNN, the only major news organization to carry this story is the Associated Press which mentioned it briefly in a round up on Syria.

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/al ... incubators

Devil's Advocate

Postby Devil's Advocate » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:17 pm

The media worked with the government on this one, the Kuwaiti incubator baby hoax.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayirah_(testimony)

IDL

Postby IDL » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:50 am

^^ Good one. War propoganda at its worste

Return to “The Grand Chessboard”