CIA and Hollywood

Politics, History, & 'Conspiracy'
greenseed

CIA and Hollywood

Postby greenseed » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:45 pm

This is a new video series by Tom Secker of http://www.spyculture.com & Pearce Redmond of http://porkinspolicyreview.com/ on the relationship between the CIA & Hollywood.

Episode 1
'In this opening episode of the new series Pearse and Tom look into the CIA's adaptations of George Orwell's two most famous novels - Animal Farm and 1984. We focus primarily on Animal Farm, a revolutionary animated film in several senses of the word, produced by Louis De Rochemont - a man who had worked with several other government agencies prior to making Animal Farm with the CIA. The animation was does by British firm Halas and Bachelor, and we also discuss their background. This episode also examines the paper trail, looking in Orwell's FBI file and the MI5 records on actor Michael Redgrave, who starred in 1984 despite being a suspected Communist. We conclude that the CIA had something of an obsession with Orwell at this time, and were subverting his works quite radically in these films.

Animal Farm Cartoon 1954

Episode 2
Guillermo Jimenez joins us for this episode to talk about Robert De Niro - a man whose relationship with the CIA spans two decades. We look at four films - Wag the Dog, Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers and The Good Shepherd, the latter three of which have documented CIA assistance in their production. We discuss Robert De Niro's transformation from a serious dramatic actor into a kooky comedy figure, and the CIA's apparent involvement in that. This led to us asking whether the three comedy films are trojan horses for a sneaky CIA agenda, and talking about how The Good Shepherd has many flaws but this did not stop the CIA themselves from praising it as 'probably as good as any film on the Agency'.

greenseed

Postby greenseed » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:15 pm

I've listened (not much to watch) to both of these & they're very interesting.

i watched the Animal farm toon & it's very good other than the changes they made from the book as detailed in episode 1.
I will have to rewatch the Meet the parents & fockers movies. As well as The Good Shepherd cuz i don't think ive seen that one

i will post each episode as it airs (monday & thurs). Im not sure how many they made.

greenseed

Postby greenseed » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:17 pm

Episode 3
http://porkinspolicyreview.com/2015/04/20/the-cia-and-hollywood-episode-3-the-recruit/
Aaron Franz joined in the conversation as we looked at the film The Recruit, which more than any other film we’re covering in this season was moulded by CIA entertainment liaison Chase Brandon. Like so many films, it tells the story of a young person inducted into a secret world with secret rules and codes of thinking and behaviour, and in doing so inducts the audience into that same world. We discussed this dynamic from various angles – black operations, secret societies, occult or mystery school philosophies – before studying Brandon’s appearance in the most fascinating ‘making of’ documentary ever made.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:17 am

thank you for all of these, greenseed.

Haven't dug into them yet but I will. I think its important that the real nature of Hollywood is at the very least brought out in the open. There is so much evidence of collusion between the big movie producers and politics, its absurd to go on pretending its 'just entertainment'

greenseed

Postby greenseed » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:37 pm

Very true. Public perception of issues & groups are most definitely molded by "entertainment". Whether consciously or subconsciously our generalizations of peoples and ideologies are 100% influenced by Hollywood propaganda.

here's an interesting doc on the portrayal of Arabs in film: Reel bad arabs - How hollywood vilifies a people: https://vimeo.com/56687715

greenseed

Postby greenseed » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:00 pm

Episode 4

http://porkinspolicyreview.com/2015/04/23/the-cia-and-hollywood-episode-4-enemy-of-the-state/

Good friend Adam joins us to discuss the 1998 action thriller Enemy of the State, and its unprecedented ‘revelation’ of surveillance technology. We talk about how the film has a rogue’s gallery of technical advisers – including Chase Brandon and Marty Keiser – and how this led to one of the most spectacular depictions of the NSA and the spy state in general. Following from this we analysed the likely purpose in the CIA masking themselves as the NSA in the film, and how this has scuppered the progress of any serious dialogue about mass surveillance.

Daglord

Postby Daglord » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:15 pm

great thread greenseed! just the kind of thing I was looking for @ the moment ;)

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:15 am

ees normal
Attachments
8BDEE070-7724-4B53-8C03-3D28EF0B1BE1_zps96olibir.jpg
8BDEE070-7724-4B53-8C03-3D28EF0B1BE1_zps96olibir.jpg (0 Bytes) Viewed 5042 times

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:38 am

- I learned on my years of comic-book reading that CIA is envolved on several things.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

greenseed

Postby greenseed » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:12 am

Episode 5

show notes:http://porkinspolicyreview.com/2015/04/27/the-cia-and-hollywood-episode-5-the-social-network/

Thomas Sheridan joins us to talk about the 2010 film The Social Network, which tells the story of the origins of facebook. We discuss the class struggle portrayed in the story, the mechanism by which the film could have been influenced by the CIA, the archetypes in the finely-produced melodrama that plays out, the CIA’s silicon valley network which is conspicuous by its absence from the narrative, and the meaning of the movie’s dark and brooding tone. We also get into some unusual areas, including the mystery of the sub sandwich.

Return to “The Grand Chessboard”