How would you split a kid's MMA training?

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Vutulaki

How would you split a kid's MMA training?

Postby Vutulaki » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:04 am

Son is early teens and starting MMA soon after christmas and wants to take it more seriously

The school is a legit MMA club with legitt coaches and they have boxing, BJJ, MT, MMA and wrestling most days

I want to start him off at 2 days a week then 3 by the time school starts

Do we do as many MMA classes as possible or say MT, BJJ and wrestling to start? Does it even matter?

Im thinking to just let him chose since its just a sport like soccer so who cares but want to guide him

Currently he wants to do MMA, MT and then alternate weeks in BJJ and wrestling but I personally think thhe grappling arts have a stepper learning curve and unlike striking where I can train him to a comp level at home tech wise grappling he needs other kids to train with cause Im sure as not drilling arm bar defense with him on our pavers

Ah I couldnt wait for this time to come and here it is

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:55 pm

I'd get him to focus on boxing and wrestling first. get some hands and the ability to takedown or not get taken down. then add BJJ or MT down the line, whichever he prefers first. I don't think you should bother with the "MMA" classes until he gets good at the individual arts first. But what do I know... I'm just a shitty grappler.

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:36 pm

Yeah I see what youre saying plus the MMA classes are just MMA sparring but split into beginner and fighter/comp sparring both of which he would gget bashed in for the first while. I always thought id be cool with seeing my kid get beat in training but either im getting old and soft or just care about him too much to risk him getting hurt bad.

I think he would benefit from 2 x a week in wrestling or BJJ and just 1 striking whichever he choses either boxing or MT cause ground work neeeds a lot more hours at first IMO pluss as ive mentioned he needs others to roll with. We do some stand up wrestling at home but Im just too big for him still, I can spar like Im 70KG (just heaps slower lol) but can only wrestle like a 110KGer ddue to not being that skilled at it

See what he choses I suppose but still interested in this discussion

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:34 pm

I feel with striking, you can improve with just 1 or 2 sessions a week. But with grappling, if you're not doing it at least 3 times a week, you're won't be improving. Probably have to do with having to have a partner and shit.

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:30 am

BoyScouts, Auto/Woodshop, investing.......then MuayThai/GJJ for Self-Defense. If Wrestling available at school, take advantage of that and train GJJ in off-season. Do same with MuayThai/Boxing. Take occasional time off from MuayThai to spend some time in a boxing gym to develop good evasive movement and good mechanics in punching.

watch this vid and focus more on the BoyScouts, Auto/Woodshop/Investing and forget about "Fighting" and think training Martial Arts in the traditional way where focus is Self-Defense....which means ESCAPE and LIVE = BIG WIN!

Som-Pong

Postby Som-Pong » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:29 am

Boxing and wrestling. It's important to get used to getting hit.

Vutulaki

Postby Vutulaki » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:32 pm

So by way off update hes done a boxing, BJJ and wrestling class so far. He cruised through the boxing and BJJ classes, today he took wrestling and had to get public trransport its about a 40 min door to door journey home by PT and he was still fucked by the time he got here, fresh Tee he put on after training was drenched through. So far so good

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:39 pm

I was practicing wall wrestling against the cage tonight. I swear, 2 minutes of that gasses me out more than 10 minutes of ground sparring. No joke!

Diet Butcher

Postby Diet Butcher » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:32 pm

high school wrestler goes to a bodybuilding gym and challenge bodybuilders to take him down.

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:27 pm

^BM with the cheap "Sucker Takedown" Attempt and STILL LOSES LOL.......after just recently getting TROLLED by Boxer Devin Haney who said he could whoop BM in the STREETS

Return to “Super Dojo”