Deontay Wilder explains what he needs from PFL in order to fight Francis Ngannou in ‘mixed rules’ bout

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Deontay Wilder explains what he needs from PFL in order to fight Francis Ngannou in ‘mixed rules’ bout

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:28 am

By Mike Heck @MikeHeck_JR Dec 21, 2023

Deontay Wilder is open to a big crossover fight with Francis Ngannou, but he needs to learn more about what the PFL is thinking.

PFL co-founder Donn Davis has expressed interest in booking a “mixed rules” bout between the two heavyweight knockout artists following Ngannou’s valiant effort against Tyson Fury in an October boxing match. While Wilder is interested, he claims he has no idea what the bout would entail.

“I’d have to hear more about these mixed rules,” Wilder told Lucky Block (h/t DAZN). “I wouldn’t mind fighting in the [cage] and stuff, but I’d have to understand how the mixed rules are distributed. What do they mean [by] mixed rules? What can and can’t we do?

“But I know for sure, [if we did] one fight in boxing and then one MMA fight, the rules are what they are.”

Wilder has also shared the ring with Fury, engaging in a memorable three-fight rivalry that saw the two heavyweights battle to a draw, and then two Fury wins. Wilder is currently slated to face Joseph Parker on Dec. 23 in Saudi Arabia, while Ngannou’s next fight — and which combat sport Ngannou will take part in — remains up in the air.

Ngannou welcoming Wilder to an MMA cage would certainly be intriguing to the combat fan base, but there’s still work that needs to be done.

“We’ve got rules in boxing, we’ve got rules in mixed martial arts, but when you are mixing both together, now you have to come up with your own rules and it can get kind of frustrating or confusing,” Wilder said. “But it could be something that’s new, and I’m all about change. I’d need to hear it, both parties would need to hear it, and go from there.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2023/12/21/23995505/deontay-wilder-explains-what-he-needs-from-pfl-in-order-to-fight-francis-ngannou-in-mixed-rules-bout
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”