Sonnen, Rafael dos Anjos concerned about David Goggins training Tony Ferguson

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Sonnen, Rafael dos Anjos concerned about David Goggins training Tony Ferguson

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:30 pm

By Steven Marrocco @MMAFightingSM

Videos of Tony Ferguson’s brutal training with ex-Navy SEAL David Goggins have raised concerns from UFC vets Chael Sonnen and Rafael dos Anjos.

Sonnen echoed dos Anjos’ concern that Goggins was pushing Ferguson too hard in preparation for the former interim lightweight champ’s fight with Paddy Pimblett at UFC 296.

“I see Tony’s workouts with David [Goggins],” dos Anjos wrote on X. “Those long workouts will not help Tony’s condition, it will slow him down. It could help him with some mental strength but Tony does not need that. He’s very strong mentally.”

Chael Sonnen
@ChaelSonnen
·
Elaborate, Champ.

I saw it too. Thought same thing. It’s helpful, Goggins had a positive effect, but Tony only has a certain amount of energy and needs to be wise.

Tell me more. I wanna hear what you are thinking.

Ferguson faces Pimblett on a six-fight winning streak and threatens to tie the record-breaking skid of UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn, who lost seven straight before hanging up his gloves.

Known for his acrobatic and unusual training, Ferguson is no stranger to attention for his methods outside the cage. The ex-interim champ has shrugged off calls for retirement and spoke about rededicating himself to the sport after 15 years as a pro.

Goggins, meanwhile, reacted angrily to critics of his work with Ferguson, posting an Instagram video during a workout with the UFC vet.

“I saw a lot of your f****** comments, talking about rest and recovery, all this bulls***,” Goggins said as he and Ferguson did lunges on a field. “A lot of you don’t get it, man. He did rest. He slept for eight f****** hours. It’s an adaptation process that goes with the mental f****** hardening. The body has to f****** know you’re not f****** around with it.”

Goggins, an author and motivational speaker, is not known as a trainer of MMA fighters. He has appeared several times on the Joe Rogan Experience, talking about his experience as a SEAL and his training methods. He once held the a Guinness world record for completing 4,030 pull-ups in 17 hours.

The UFC Performance Institute has released two studies on MMA, emphasizing the need for tailored training schedules that gradually intensify an athlete’s workouts during fight camp and taper down as a fight progresses. The studies also emphasize the need for recovery and discourage overtraining.

In a response to Sonnen, dos Anjos backed a measured approach to training for aging vets such as Ferguson.

“As we fighter get older we need to do “less” work, spent more time pre and post workouts,” he wrote on X. “Focusing on specific training. We are fighting 15-25min, we don’t need 1h-2h workouts. Short and specific practices. Def [Goggins] has a positive effect but for what I’ve seen too much work.”

Ferguson has attributed his slide to a lack of belief in himself. In an interview with The MMA Hour this past month, he said he told himself to “do what you have to do to train the way you f****** need to train. Like, quit f****** horsing around.”

“It’s not easy, doing what we do inside that cage,” Ferguson said. “It takes a lot of f****** balls. But we don’t have the only occupation where it takes balls, so I’m blessed to be able to do what I do, and like I said, it’s never been a thought in my head that [I should give in] to retirement.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2023/11/12/23956899/chael-sonnen-rafael-dos-anjos-concerned-about-david-goggins-training-tony-ferguson
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

theraskal

Postby theraskal » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:35 pm

what about steroids, do they help with excessive training and recovery?

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:57 pm

Ferguson is crazy. Not the first time I've seen him push way past his own physical limitations, to his detriment

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:16 pm

theraskal wrote:what about steroids, do they help with excessive training and recovery?

- Of course. They're used for that. Dont doubt Goggins on them also. It's pretty common for fighters, been them for boxing or mma, to want to prove how tought they are, and get their body destroyed by trainers. I used to have a bodybuilding magazine, there was a interview with a basket-ball plaeyr from the 80's or 90's, he trained various athletes. And said the marjority of lesions were caused by the trainers fault.

I dont forget that, i dind't even acess to a computer back in 2004.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”