Weidman returns from devastating broken leg, faces Brad Tavares at UFC 292

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Weidman returns from devastating broken leg, faces Brad Tavares at UFC 292

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:40 pm

By Damon Martin @DamonMartin Jun 5, 2023

Chris Weidman is officially back.

The former middleweight champion has booked his return to the octagon with a fight expected against Brad Tavares at UFC 292 on Aug. 19 at the TD Garden Arena in Boston.

Multiple people with knowledge of the promotion’s plans confirmed the news to MMA Fighting on Monday following an initial report from Newsday.

The fight serves as Weidman’s first appearance in the UFC since a gruesome compound fracture and broken leg ended his fight against Uriah Hall in April 2021. The injury occurred after he threw a kick just seconds into the fight, and his leg snapped from the impact, sending him to the canvas writhing in pain.

Weidman immediately had surgery to repair the damage done, and a rod was placed in his leg to stabilize the broken bones. He ultimately had to undergo another surgery to place a plate in his leg, but he continued to rehabilitate the injury with the intention of returning to fighting.

In a recent appearance, Weidman fought back tears after participating in a grappling match in March on UFC Fight Pass.

“These last two years have been the hardest years of my life,” he said afterward. “I don’t want to cry, I’m not going to cry, but I don’t know if you know this, but I snapped my leg in half in April 2021, and I wasn’t sure I was ever going to be able to compete again in anything, and so to able to come out here and put a show for you guys, win or lose, is truly a dream.”

Now, Weidman looks to fight again in the cage.

As for Tavares, the 35-year-old veteran looks to bounce back after suffering back-to-back losses in his most recent fights, including a first-round TKO to Bruno Silva in April. Overall, he has gone 2-2 in his previous four UFC fights, which included wins over Omari Akhmedov and Antonio Carlos Junior.

The upcoming UFC 292 card is headlined by Weidman’s longtime friend and teammate Aljamain Sterling, who puts his bantamweight title on the line against Sean O’Malley.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2023/6/5/23750184/chris-weidman-books-first-fight-since-suffering-broken-leg-when-he-faces-brad-tavares-at-ufc-292
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:42 pm

- I miss The Chris.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:52 pm

those leg breaks are so nasty man

Wishing him well

I thought it was weird he suffered that after he did the same so famously to Anderson Silva

Conor is supposed to be coming back after a similar injury, I don't know how it's possible it seems so crazy

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:41 pm

Masato wrote:those leg breaks are so nasty man

Wishing him well

I thought it was weird he suffered that after he did the same so famously to Anderson Silva

Conor is supposed to be coming back after a similar injury, I don't know how it's possible it seems so crazy

- Drostanolone use causes osteoporosis.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:10 pm

Edge Guerrero wrote:

Wishing him well

osteroporosis is weak bones, right?

Drostanolone is a PED?

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:49 pm

Masato wrote:
Edge Guerrero wrote:

Wishing him well

osteroporosis is weak bones, right?

Drostanolone is a PED?

Yes. THe one that Anderson was caught. Also popular know as masteron. We used to bellive that took 10 years of use to actually weaken the bones. Now it's know that can take as much as 3 years. It's pretty common in jiu-jitsu and grappling.

Return to “Super Dojo”