Wanted: MA history research ideas

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Masato
Site Admin

Wanted: MA history research ideas

Postby Masato » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:13 pm

Hey all

Imagine you could travel the world between 1945-1955 to find the best martial artists/fighters in the world.

Where would you go? Money is no object. You have those 10 years to visit as many places as you like.

I am writing a new script with a character that does this. I have a loose outline of key story beats but I need to fill in the rest of the backstory timeline, at least roughly.

Where would you travel? What countries/fighting styles would be interesting during that decade? What historic events might draw you to certain place to look for great fighters?

Any ideas or inspiration would be helpful.
Thanks!!

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:54 am

If Im a child the clear choice is Thailand, huge development network that will turn any kid into a killer. If Im an adult probably all the wrestling loving countries. America, Russia, Mongolia.

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:35 pm

Thanks Luigi!

Actually this timespan could stretch from 1935 - 1955, an extra decade

Any ideas or suggestions would be great

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:04 pm

- I would go to Korea for Taekwondo and Japan for karatê. Teruyuki Okazaki in japan and Carlson for jiu-jitsu here in Brasil.

Would like to learn Strong-style pro-wrestling with Inoki.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Luigi

Postby Luigi » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:23 pm

1928 Buriram, Isaan, Thailand, a mysterious time traveling man appears at the door to a holy wat late on a foggy night. A monk sees the man place a bundle on the ground before calling out to him. When the man notices his eyes glow white and he disappears in a flash of lightning. The monk inspects the bundle and realizes it is a baby boy, with the mark of Garuda burned into his skin. The monks raise the boy as one of their own. He grows up farming rice, meditating, and wandering the countryside of his local village. 7 years later in 1935, he goes to a to a local festival with the other monks to give blessings among the festivities. A young girl his age approaches him, holding a strange thing made of cloth shaped like a tennis racket. "Youre a monk right? Can you bless my monkhon?"

Im too lazy to keep writing in full detail but you get the idea. The girl is fighting in the festival fights, he learns about Muay Thai through her, joins a kai muay, and goes on to win the Rajadamnern stadium title when he is 15. She is also a badass fighter and his love interest. During this time its the early 40s and the Japanese imperial army invades briefly before Thailand and Japan decide to become allies. The hero is recovering from bad injuries and PTSD from WW2, so becomes an alcoholic tuktuk driver who spends his days drinking yadong, smoking weed, and meditating. His life hits rock bottom, and just when he is starting to lose hope the mysterious man appears to him, and tell him of his origins, and his destiny to come.

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:13 am

- Mine would revolve a fighter that has a sick daughter or son. He has a simple life, eve tought his dad has money, he is living a simple life. Of course his own dead cant accept his son living what he considers a dead beat life. Dude also has a teenage daughter that is ashmed of her dead being a kung-fu or karate teacher at a small dojo. But the sickness of his kid, makes him desperate. Since he is battling with depression, he gets a visit on a livid dream. That visit tells story of a foregone place, where men of diferent places fight for a prize that realizes any desires of the winner.

This vision and the deterioreting state of his kid, makes him search for the place of the dream. To get there, he still his oldman own boat, the thing is that unknow to him, the oldman is also on the boat. Getting on the localization of the fights, to surprise of everybody. They get to know the others characters of the tournament. A gigantic scaring dude, that has his soul deeping in gulty, for being responsible for the deaths of inocents when he was a soldier. A cold main villain that maybe has more deep than the common antagonists. And why they're stuck in this insland that looks atemporal fighting each others.
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Return to “Super Dojo”