K 1 1993 Maurice Smith vs Ernesto Hoost

MMA, BJJ, & The Martial Arts
Megaterio Llamas

Re: K 1 1993 Maurice Smith vs Ernesto Hoost

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:49 am

Masato wrote:So I watched a bunch of those Battlecade events, Ryan Gracie was champion for a bunch of em. My god he looked vicious out there, just wrecking his opponents he looks so skilled and scary.

Which makes me think wtf when I remember THIS:

LOLOLOLOLOL

The story was that Ryan was injured but, still... :?

So seriously, was Saku really that good, that he could toy like this with the Extreme Fighting Battlecade Champion? Or is it possible that the Gracies actually took some Yakuza hush money to let Saku out on a show?

Its really amazing. I'm telling you, fact or fiction, Saku is the GOAT

That was Ralph Gracie in the EF events Mas, not Ryan. Different guy, Ralph was a lightweight.

Carlson Gracie Sr's team was the one involved in Battlecade EF. So, Carlson Gracie Jr, Ralph Gracie, Conan Silveira, Mario Sperry, Allan Goes. These guys all fought in those events. Of course most of the team eventually deserted Carlson Gracie Sr and created Brazilian Top Team. I believe Wallid Ismail remained loyal to Carlson Gracie.
el rey del mambo

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:48 am

I'm just re watching EF 4 again now. Mas, don't waste your time watching EF 2, it's a bunch of squash matches, though it is noteworthy for featuring Carlos Newton's pro debut in a freak show fight.

Do you guys remember the story behind EF 2? It was an event that almost didn't come off but the fact that it did had enormous negative consequences for mma in Canada, It was originally booked for a location in New York state but by early '96 politicians and media had honed in on nhb/mma as an easy target for consequence free political grandstanding and moralizing and state after state was moving to ban the events. The furor surrounding the event in NY, Buffalo I believe was the site, saw this event shut down at the last moment and scrambling to find a venue.

In stepped the Kahnawake Mohawk tribal council in Quebec to save the day, or so it seemed. Quebec authorities were threatening to send in the provincial police to shut the event down if they went ahead with it, it became a native sovereignty issue with one of Canada's most militant tribes overtop of the whole mma controversy and media freaked out across the country.

Well, the event was disastrous on a couple fronts. Fighters were detained at the border or spooked by the media storm and the threats by the Quebec authorities and didn't arrive to fight, forcing matchmaker John Peretti to cobble together a skeleton card of non competitive matches at the last minute, making for an awful event. Secondly, the Quebec police moved in and arrested people involved in the event, including Peretti, his broadcast partner Dave Bontempo, and the fighters that competed that night.

Finally, the national frenzy of moral posturing by politicians and media, the fake outrage and virtue signaling we're all accustomed to here in Canada, led to an outright ban of live mma broadcasts in Canada accross all platforms from early 1996 until late 1998. Unlike the US ban, which came later and lasted until 2001, the Canadian ban affected both cable and satellite ppv delivery systems, total censorship of live mma events, whereas the US ban was the death by a thousand cuts of the cable companies opting under political pressure to drop the events, while the satellite services continued to carry the live ppv broadcasts. This resulted in vastly shrunken ppv revenue for the events and led to UFC being unable to maintain it's stable of fighters into the early 2000s as Pride scooped just about everyone up.

As for myself, I found a way around the ban by hooking Dish Network up at a family cottage in Birch Bay Washington, just across the border from Vancouver and was able to watch most of the events live with my buddies in the heyday when mma mattered to me. A few times I ducked across and watched events in Point Roberts or Blaine in bars. Six months to year later the events would finally appear in vhs format in Canadian video stores. Ah. those were the days eh :)
el rey del mambo

Masato
Site Admin

Postby Masato » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:46 am

Megaterio Llamas wrote:
Masato wrote:So I watched a bunch of those Battlecade events, Ryan Gracie was champion for a bunch of em. My god he looked vicious out there, just wrecking his opponents he looks so skilled and scary.

LOLOLOLOLOL

So seriously, was Saku really that good, that he could toy like this with the Extreme Fighting Battlecade Champion? Or is it possible that the Gracies actually took some Yakuza hush money to let Saku out on a show?

That was Ralph Gracie in the EF events Mas, not Ryan. Different guy, Ralph was a lightweight.

Carlson Gracie Sr's team was the one involved in Battlecade EF. So, Carlson Gracie Jr, Ralph Gracie, Conan Silveira, Mario Sperry, Allan Goes. These guys all fought in those events. Of course most of the team eventually deserted Carlson Gracie Sr and created Brazilian Top Team. I believe Wallid Ismail remained loyal to Carlson Gracie.

Oh, shit yeah... Ralph / Ryan

Big difference, they look so much the same :D :D thanks for setting that straight. What happened to Ralph? Why don't I remember seeing him in PRIDE?

I was a huge BTT fan during the PRIDE era, cool to see old Sperry fights in EF

Megaterio Llamas

Postby Megaterio Llamas » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:47 am

Masato wrote:
Megaterio Llamas wrote:

LOLOLOLOLOL

Oh, shit yeah... Ralph / Ryan

Big difference, they look so much the same :D :D thanks for setting that straight. What happened to Ralph? Why don't I remember seeing him in PRIDE?

I was a huge BTT fan during the PRIDE era, cool to see old Sperry fights in EF

He was Ryan's brother. Ralph did fight twice in Pride Bushido events after a lengthy absence from the ring. He defeated Dokonjonosuke Mishima, and was blown out by Takanori Gomi in his final career fight.

el rey del mambo

Edge Guerrero
Location: Smackdown Hotel at "the corner of Know Your Role Blvd

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:35 am

LOLOLOLOLOL

- Saku was that good. Boxers are the ones that throw fights for money! :evil:
- I rent this space for advertising

Don't be selfish, preserve this world for the next generations.

I'll never long for what might have been
Regret won't waste my life again
I won't look back I'll fight to remain

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:37 am

Megaterio Llamas wrote:This was the fourth and final Battlecade EF event from early '97. This one featured a pair of Olympic Gold Medalists in freestyle wrestling, Kevin Jackson and Kenny Monday. I don't think this event was widely circulated on vhs, for whatever reason it's a bit of a collector's item. Hated to see the Battlecade go, it was leagues beyond UFC at the time. Way better, more evolved with vastly better matchmaking and fights.

RIP EF ;)

March 28 1997 Des Moines Iowa

Maurice Smith vs Kazanari Murukami
Kevin Jackson vs John Lober
Kenny Monday vs John Lewis
Erik Paulson vs Paul Jones
Allan Goes vs Todd Bjornethun
Matt Hume vs Pat Miletich
Gary Myers vs Tom Glanville

- I remember Kevin Jackson. Guy was a monster.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:40 am

Masato wrote:Hume vs Miletich! wow

Another Erik Paulson fight -

Allan Goes is another fighter that looked ruthless in Battlecade, but Saku handled easily. To my own horror, I'm actually starting to wonder if Saku's early streak in MMA might have been bought off. Goes was so timid in his fight with Saku compared to his demeanor in Battlecade. Same with Ryan Gracie, Macias... And Belfort too, those guys all rolled over for Saku. Freaky to think my Saku fandom obsession might have been fake lol :cry:

These are good cards, man. Thanks for introducing/reminding me of these vids I've been enjoying a few days of work now having them in the background.

- They looked better against weak competition. That was normal. We see a lot of that in boxing or even mma today.

Edge Guerrero

Postby Edge Guerrero » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:42 am

Megaterio Llamas wrote:

LOLOLOLOLOL

- Wallid stayed with Carlson till the end. One thing that many people doesnt know is that,Wallid is actually a cool guy.
He was far ahead of his time, when its come to marketing.

Return to “Super Dojo”